Satire is Dead

pjj365

Thread starter #1
So personal insults and sarcasm are allowed on here but fun satire per Rich Best is closed down by mods in about 1 hour - and it was even flagged up as a joke!

A satirical post is an expression of opinion in its own way and is, surely, just as valid as any other post

Rich Best

Yes I think you should really re-open it as it was / is clearly satirical!

Apologies if it offended anyone - it was purely banter!! I am sure we all ultimately support OUR team even if some focus on the negatives and others the positives!

pjj365

Thread starter #6
Really enjoyed it for what it was

I was looking forward to seeing responses in similar vein - seemed poitive to me - as well as comments from those who did not see the humour

Personally, I'm concerned that, like Samson, all these visits to Ken Picton might be draining the guys power

august04

Yes I think you should really re-open it as it was / is clearly satirical!

Apologies if it offended anyone - it was purely banter!! I am sure we all ultimately support OUR team even if some focus on the negatives and others the positives!
Most posters say it as they see it and comment on both positives and negatives. I really can't understand why a few take exception to that balanced view? We all see things in different ways though and expressing those contrasting views is surely what a forum is all about? But you're right, at the end of the day we all support our team and have done through thick and thin.

Electro

I hate that people place comments into a category of positive or negative.

The fact people comment on a fan forum should immediately be obvious that posters are fans, what would be the point of writing negatively on a fan forum if your not a fan. I'm obviously assuming that people, even the passionate posters such as wannabe don't suffer from a mental health issue.

Pointing out issues with any aspect of the club, including the venue should all be viewed as constructive criticism. No organisation can ever move forward if it and it's people believe it's perfect, especially when it is not.

If anybody on here cannot cope reading criticism of a sports club when their simply a supporter is, well for me just weird, but it happens, in a lot of sports and after all one persons weird is another's normal. Todd, Lord, the players, the EIHL etc etc, yes l fully understand people within an organisation will view criticism of their contribution with some anger. I'm sure they all have thick skin and if it's justified will move forward.

As for Satire, its difficult sometimes to translate through writing, not everybody has the intellect to understand sarcasm, add misconstrued opinion of that poster into the mix, it can be misconceived. It's far easy for some to attack the poster than risk a punt on the comment being of a humorous one or not, messing up a retort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm obviously assuming that people, even the passionate posters such as wannabe don't suffer from a mental health issue.

Why do you have to stoop so low? What is wrong with somebody with. Mental health issue either being a fan or posting. Maybe it has not been read correctly or maybe not written how you intended but I don't think you should be referring to mental health conditions in a post like this whatever it's tone. Not relevant.

Electro

Electro

My point was based on sarcasm and satire being different yet you represent them as the same

Try this to understand the difference

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-key-differences-between-satire-and-sarcasm
Your posted link states this as his update.

"I might have presented sarcasm in a bad light, but both are really good uses of humour. Sarcasm, though certainly inferior to satire in terms of sophistication (usually), may be as effective (and sometimes intellectual) as satire in a social context to drive home a point. Sarcasm can often be a tool of satire".

I guess some pointed out his mistaken opinion.

Electro

Why do you have to stoop so low? What is wrong with somebody with. Mental health issue either being a fan or posting. Maybe it has not been read correctly or maybe not written how you intended but I don't think you should be referring to mental health conditions in a post like this whatever it's tone. Not relevant.
Good point, well made.

Rich Best

Jeez.... all this from a pointless post at the very start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the point that has very clearly now come to the surface is that everyone should have their opinion heard and respected even if that opinion goes against the dominant few on this forum.

I am sorry to say it but there are a lot of people who get very frustrated by the way certain people seem to relish jumping on anything negative and float past all / most of the positives. It is very very clear that certain people sit waiting on this forum for 'issues' to jump on. It is issues that grab their attention and drive their most passionate posts.

My post was satire - hence I added 'only joking' to the title. Am not really surprised that the dominant few on this forum have taken it out of context and taken offence.

Anyway I respect your opinion even if I don't agree with it.

Rich Best

And to finish let's get back to talking hockey. Our team is one of the best we have had since I have been a fan and I am optimistic for a big 4 point weekend. Another W against the steelers will be huge but we have to get past an unpredictable blaze first.

Devil_Abroad

Devil_Abroad

I agree, I think it was misguided at the very least. There are hundreds of various physical health issues one can describe and so it is with our mental health too. Depression for example is widespread so making this kind of point about 'mental health issues' is a bit crass.

My opinion only.

Devil_Abroad

I think the point that has very clearly now come to the surface is that everyone should have their opinion heard and respected even if that opinion goes against the dominant few on this forum.

I am sorry to say it but there are a lot of people who get very frustrated by the way certain people seem to relish jumping on anything negative and float past all / most of the positives. It is very very clear that certain people sit waiting on this forum for 'issues' to jump on. It is issues that grab their attention and drive their most passionate posts.

My post was satire - hence I added 'only joking' to the title. Am not really surprised that the dominant few on this forum have taken it out of context and taken offence.

Anyway I respect your opinion even if I don't agree with it.
I put my hand up for looking at a glass half empty most of the time and apologise if most of my post are negative.

I shall endeavour to be more positive and constructive with my criticism however I am still Welsh [emoji85]