SC Bern Vs Devils - Sat 8th Sept 2018 / 7:45 (CEST) - CHL

osh

Wasn’t able to make any of the away games this season, so first of all, a brilliant showing from the fans who travelled and supported the team so well. Secondly, two huge performances from our guys on the ice against some of the best teams in Europe. Desperately unlucky not to get a point on Saturday but the guys are gelling and will be up for the start of the new EIHL season next weekend. Looking forward to seeing who we bring in to add to our D strength. Lord has plenty of positives to take from such performances.

Wannabe2

Wow how far have we come in the World of hockey, not so long ago playing those teams ( if we ever had the chance) would have been Lambs to the slaughter. To see our club not only competing but coming within a whisper of Victory is truly a shining light,watching this awesome club today is a pure Joy. Now let’s get on with the Meat and Gravy of our season, Saturday we play the 2nd best team in this league, and I can’t wait, and I believe it’s going to get pretty feisty, Also huge huge thanks to our amazing travelling fans, you guys fly the flag with truly amazing passion, and it’s a real privilege to know so many of you, and to feel a part of this incredible journey. I have said this many times, but never with more passion than this, HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Devil_Abroad

Great to see some of the mainstays playing well (Bowns, Martin and Myers). The CHL is a step up but experience can only be good for the team. Maybe with a kinder draw in the group stages we might have gone to the next round?? We weren’t too far away in any of the games and competed really well. Would be interested to hear what people think about the number of minutes Blood spends in the penalty box. He seems to get called at least once per game..
Can’t take Thursday seriously as the referees were incompetent. No arguments with Saturday though, top referring display form both officials. He was spending an awful long time on the ice and when that happens you start clutching, grabbing, leaning, just to catch breath. He is a top signing though, tons of speed, carries the puck like Fournier, has a powerful shot, and is aggresive. Only concern so far is the telling pass, does he possess one to open up the D in the ozone.

Devil_Abroad

I thought all of the players played well in most games (including reddick!) and we worked our nuts off but one thing to note is that you cannot shorten the bench in the CHL which Lord has a habit of doing. You just can't do it against skilled teams and you need to keep your 4 lines rolling to save energy for the top players, sometimes it its good to have your gritty line out there anyway. Thats where you ice your Rutkis'. We were lucky with the draw as there were certainly tougher teams out there but we shown we can compete with the best of them. Even though we're out of the competition we can say we did ourselves proud and showed we are no pushovers. Blood is just unlucky because he throws hits and they get called in the european style of game whereas in the EIHL they tend to let things flow a bit more. But more importantly:

LET'S GO DEVILS!
I think the draw did us no favours. It’s called the group of death for a reason. I we’d have played this team in last year’s group we’d have reached the last 16.

Don’t get me wrong we had a very difficult group but there were harder groups out there. Still pleased and proud nonetheless. Also Maverick, who the hell do you think you are questioning my hockey knowledge? Just because I have an opinion about the group automatically means I know nothing about hockey? ✌️
With all due respect, your knowledge of European leagues could do with a little brushing up on if you don't think that our group was not one of, if not THE, toughest group in the competition. There are back to back champions from the 2 best leagues in the competition. Haha...

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

Ah, what a thread! We’ve already had a “how do away fans afford it” comment and now a “who the hell do you think you are”!

All we need now is a “do you know who I am comment” and it’ll really hit rock bottom!

Doh!

Devil_Abroad

Well I'm still going to Sweden and i cant wait. To watch the Devils in the CHL away from home is a pure delight.
Didn't stop grinning all the time I was at Liberic last year and know i will be the same in October v Vaxjo.
We’re going too! Though still to decide how long to stay in Copenhagen and whether to go by car or tail to Vaxjo

Ger-Devils

An unbelievable experience once again these last few days watching the Devils play some of the best teams in Europe.

Voice hasn’t returned but so worth it. The budgets these team have compared to us is insane. We didn’t look out of place if I’m honest and very close to the W in Bern. Hit the pipes twice and we kept the pressure throughout.

I’ll be heading to Vaxjo via a few days in Copenhagen and train to Vaxjo on game day as there’s not much to do as others have told us from last years trip.

Devils86

Can’t take Thursday seriously as the referees were incompetent. No arguments with Saturday though, top referring display form both officials. He was spending an awful long time on the ice and when that happens you start clutching, grabbing, leaning, just to catch breath. He is a top signing though, tons of speed, carries the puck like Fournier, has a powerful shot, and is aggresive. Only concern so far is the telling pass, does he possess one to open up the D in the ozone.
I feel like Blood is still warming up. Certainly hit the ice running with the physical side of things...but does seem to give the puck away cheaply and at times behind the net which can bring unnecessary pressure.

He brings the play out of D well - like a brute version of Fournier. And a bit like Fournier his product in the final third can be a bit hit and miss. Hopefully however that will improve.

Given his tendencies to roam forward I am starting to wonder if Bryce is his best partner. Bryce can certainly put the burners on to get back and cover but is equally forward thinking - some moments on Saturday he was caught up ice when we were hit on the break.

That being said I quite like them as a pair...

Difficult. For that, and so many other reasons I’m glad I’m not Lord.

Last edited:

drainage

An unbelievable experience once again these last few days watching the Devils play some of the best teams in Europe.

Voice hasn’t returned but so worth it. The budgets these team have compared to us is insane. We didn’t look out of place if I’m honest and very close to the W in Bern. Hit the pipes twice and we kept the pressure throughout.

I’ll be heading to Vaxjo via a few days in Copenhagen and train to Vaxjo on game day as there’s not much to do as others have told us from last years trip.
No there isn’t we are having a day/night in Copenhagen before getting train to Vaxjo for game day we ended up in Sports bar in Vaxjo confirmed as being “reasonably “ priced by Vaxjo fans eg £18 for 3 drinks !