SEASON TICKETS..

From the mouth of someone in the Devils office, season tickets numbers are, at the moment, down on last season.
Interesting. Well I'm one of the people who chose not to renew for a few different reasons. I didn't find myself sat on the edge of my seat at many games last season and found the atmosphere really flat most of the time. It's nice to win trophies but in many ways I enjoyed supporting the underdogs of past seasons more and really liked seeing players from the youth team break through which doesn't happen any more (due to the import limit going up so much). I also miss sitting in the noisy block, which was all part of the fun night out for me. I tried to chant in IAW but no one joined in so I couldn't be bothered in the end. I'll always support the Devils and hope they do well next season, but I'll be picking and choosing my games.

Wannabe2

Interesting. Well I'm one of the people who chose not to renew for a few different reasons. I didn't find myself sat on the edge of my seat at many games last season and found the atmosphere really flat most of the time. It's nice to win trophies but in many ways I enjoyed supporting the underdogs of past seasons more and really liked seeing players from the youth team break through which doesn't happen any more (due to the import limit going up so much). I also miss sitting in the noisy block, which was all part of the fun night out for me. I tried to chant in IAW but no one joined in so I couldn't be bothered in the end. I'll always support the Devils and hope they do well next season, but I'll be picking and choosing my games.
That’s such a great shame mate, where were you sitting, in the away block. I was on the edge of my seat most games, but we all see games through different eyes, as for atmosphere I thought our atmosphere was very good, certainly on par with the tent, there again maybe that depends where you sit ???.As for youth coming through, it certainly is harder, but then again the standard has gone up, But we weren’t exactly flooded with youth talent in the tent, but you seemed to be happy then ???, Our sport is changing like every sport mate, but it’s still the best ticket in town. I will keep my fingers crossed that you change your mind, as your user name indicates you have and hopefully will still be a staunch fan, we never like to lose one of our own, even if it is for certain games. My own view is sure times are changing, some good,some not so clever, but this is the best time ever to be a Devils fan, the crap has gone, our beloved club is very stable, our fans are still second to no one, and we are the envy of 10 other clubs right now, and for me that will do nicely. Here’s hoping that you pick so many games to go too, that you realise another season ticket is the cheaper route. Never like to hear one of us is unhappy, great shame.

ASHIPP

With regard to youth coming through, Devils really need to look at the Sheffield model. Appears to be a huge disconnect between the Devils and the youth setup in Cardiff.
And to an extent, Panthers and Blaze have done something similar with their affiliate youth teams.

august04

I can certainly understand where you’re coming from. At times last season, I was bored stiff. Yes we won everything and for most, that’s enough but quite often I sat there last season with not much going on and in a sterile atmosphere. If it wasn’t for my son who is Devils mad, I might not have renewed my season ticket either. I don’t think the opposition helped last season either, particularly with such relatively poor Panthers and Steelers teams, certainly compared to years before. You can only beat what’s in front of you and we did that comfortably. I’m hoping those two teams will be stronger next season, certainly Panthers look to be - and that will help with the excitement levels of these big games anyway. Despite all that though, I’m still surprised that season ticket sales are reportedly down and if they are, by the relatively low key approach of the Devils marketing team throughout the off season.

Funny isn't it, fan engagement has always been a posiive feature of the Devils in recent years, this off season ,virtually none. I always enjoyed hearing Lordo after signings were announced and the odd update . To go from that to what we have had (not had) this off season seems strange. No doubt lots of work going on and we will be right behind them as soon as the season starts, for me.just a pity that there has been a bit of a void this summer. Anyway, hoping to get a buzz from tomorrow's signings.

Johnnybravo1927

Had a season ticket for the last 4 years and for a variety of reasons have not bothered this season. Same as others I was bored a times last season and going became a bit of a chore. As stated by others, the other teams didnt really trouble us much either which didnt help. Also my son plays jr hockey and loads of clashes last season meant a lot of missed games. I will still watch games but will watch a few Fire games as well now and then.

CaldicotDevil

Without any real competition it was always gonna get a bit flat. Spoke to a Man City ST holder end of last season and because they won the league at such a canter even they got jaded last season.

Without sounding like a happy clapper next season’s looking exciting. Belfast are literally signing giants to go all out Keefer, Sheffield are on a total rebuild and it’s s**t or bust for Thommo, Panthers got serious cash, Clan are the new goon squad, Storm still think they’re the goon squad, Guildford kept their best players, Blaze are still chavs, fife play great hockey and MK & Star always put up a half tidy/watchable game.

pjj365

Is it really a surprise that numbers are down

We all know winning teams attract the punters but the Bluebirds are a winning team now. A season ticket to see football Premier leauge teams has to be attractive to many and we were bound to lose out

I'm with katie.sinclaire 1 though - I'm surpied at the lack of marketing, player/coach interviews etc. Even the much trailed Junior Devils interviews died away after just 1

Devil94

I do find this off season’s approach from the club a bit bizarre if I’m honest. Not the signings, I agree that we should keep our cards close to our chests and not reveal early, and I wouldn’t mind if they were all announced in the week of the first game.

But as has been said, no interviews from Lord or anyone else at the club, hardly any other news at all. It’s like they’re trying to be deliberately quiet. Maybe there is a reason for that which we will find out soon? Otherwise, I don’t really get it.

OJLloyd

I think one of the reasons for low levels of content so far is that several people in the office have taken holidays.

Fie runs the social media, and if you follow her as well you can see that she has been back home for a bit of time.

Katrina is also off adventuring, so it’s just the natural fallow period in the summer. I’m sure it will pick up very shortly, we need to be selling those CHL tickets.

On a thread related note I’m going the other way and getting my first season ticket this year.

Leighton

With regard to youth coming through, Devils really need to look at the Sheffield model. Appears to be a huge disconnect between the Devils and the youth setup in Cardiff.
there is a complete disconnect - i.e there is no path or communication between junior/youth and senior. other than TK being on the board of trustees for CJDIHC the two clubs don't speak. i hear rumours of more integration between the two but as yet that hasn't come to fruition.

terry hunt

I do find this off season’s approach from the club a bit bizarre if I’m honest. Not the signings, I agree that we should keep our cards close to our chests and not reveal early, and I wouldn’t mind if they were all announced in the week of the first game.

But as has been said, no interviews from Lord or anyone else at the club, hardly any other news at all. It’s like they’re trying to be deliberately quiet. Maybe there is a reason for that which we will find out soon? Otherwise, I don’t really get it.
I agree normally clubs are pressing fans to snap up tickets.In the past the club has given a running commentary on the numbers sold.In this case i am surprised if numbers are down.
The other points about club activities i am surprised we are not seeing offseason activities of players.
The club seems to have switched off for the summer.

Foxy

there is a complete disconnect - i.e there is no path or communication between junior/youth and senior. other than TK being on the board of trustees for CJDIHC the two clubs don't speak. i hear rumours of more integration between the two but as yet that hasn't come to fruition.
Not involved with the juniors but there certainly seems to be a lot of unrest and arguing in the ranks with quite a few young players apparently leaving and going to other clubs. This is a shame as we used to have a really good junior development system with many players coming through the ranks..... Chinn, Phillips Franny, Stoney, Hill etc all cardiff trained. Maybe a good clearout and start again is required.

Not involved with the juniors but there certainly seems to be a lot of unrest and arguing in the ranks with quite a few young players apparently leaving and going to other clubs. This is a shame as we used to have a really good junior development system with many players coming through the ranks..... Chinn, Phillips Franny, Stoney, Hill etc all cardiff trained. Maybe a good clearout and start again is required.
Always been a problem and always will. Andrew Lloyd does a good job though but there is only so much he can do.

But what the programme needs is a director to set out a vision and programme to develop players. There isn't that in place and hasn't been for a long time.

Sheffield have an excellent track record recently but also have problems themselves with some unrest. A Cardiff Devils run project with some real leadership is the only thing to make it work. It's not even money, the parents pay enough anyway. We have a lot of very experienced players in our senior team, who the kids idolise. They should be used more. A few dad's completing a 2 day EIHA coaching course aren't the ones to really bring players along. Help yes, but we need to do more as an organisation.