Season Wrap Up

SteveKing

Thread starter #1
Well that was an interesting season!! First of all, I want to thank all of you for your support of the team over the last couple of years - through the shut down and during this season. This hasn't been easy on anybody so your support is more appreciated now than it ever has been. As we all knew, the challenge put in front of us after the shut down was enormous. Building an all-new team on the ice and off of it with a very small staff was a big task and despite not getting the results we wanted in the regular season, I'm incredibly proud of the job Todd and his team did.

Obviously the most disappointing part was the fact that the coach that we were so excited about and that came with such glowing recommendations did not work out the way we wanted. Jarrod is a very nice person but the three things that are non negotiable with us are sharing our passion for the Devils, work ethic and culture. Winning championships requires all of those things and ultimately we felt that we needed to go in a different direction. On the player front, I think most would agree that we were able to find some outstanding pieces that we hope to build around as a core, much like we did with our first team in 2014. Not all of our choices worked out the way we wanted but that's the nature of the industry. Needing far fewer new players next year reduces the risk considerably.

It's now time to prepare for the next season. I'm not sure I've ever been this excited about an off season. The player market will be significantly better this year for three big reasons. The first is that North American playoffs will finish earlier than last year. We had numerous players that would have come to Cardiff decide that they couldn't come when we needed them to. Playoffs in North America last year lasted until mid-July and because of the CHL, we needed players in Cardiff in early August. Players just couldn't do that tight of a turnaround. This year, North America will be done in June and with not being in the CHL, we won't need players in as early. The second factor is the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I think there's a very good chance that there won't be any imports playing in the KHL this year and that will have a trickle-down effect on all leagues. The final advantage this year is that because of Covid, NCAA players were given an extra year of eligibility last year so very few players turned pro out of the NCAA last year. This year there should be a sizeable crop of players graduating and going into all levels of pro.

At the end of the day, we were pretty lucky as fans to have hockey back, sellout crowds, a close overtime loss in the Challenge Cup finals and a spectacular win in the playoff championships to make it three in a row. While anything short of a league title can't be called a complete success, I feel just so lucky as a fan to have people like Todd and Franny allowing us to have so much to cheer about every single season. No team in the league can match our success over the last eight years. So thank you all again for your support. Keep giving your opinions on players, coaches...even owners. It's all good and means you care...except for you, Mazzoak!!

Have a great summer, everybody.

Steve

sjkelly07

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Steve, a testing season that still ended with a trophy. There's definitely a new core of players we can build around, can't wait for next season. Go Devils!

mjh

Thanks Steve. Great to have had (almost) a full season with hockey. It's been a joy to be back watching the team having been unable to for so long. Thanks for coming on here and sharing your thoughts. I too am looking forward to the next season and all the player announcements to come. Jenks and co will be keeping an eye on all the comings and goings around the bay. He's set up surveillance in a penthouse near the IAW. Kingmo is manning the mobile unit and we've tapped your phone. No doubt this time next year we'll have even more success to celebrate. Let's go Devils!!!

Hedd Wyn John

Well that was an interesting season!! First of all, I want to thank all of you for your support of the team over the last couple of years - through the shut down and during this season. This hasn't been easy on anybody so your support is more appreciated now than it ever has been. As we all knew, the challenge put in front of us after the shut down was enormous. Building an all-new team on the ice and off of it with a very small staff was a big task and despite not getting the results we wanted in the regular season, I'm incredibly proud of the job Todd and his team did.

Obviously the most disappointing part was the fact that the coach that we were so excited about and that came with such glowing recommendations did not work out the way we wanted. Jarrod is a very nice person but the three things that are non negotiable with us are sharing our passion for the Devils, work ethic and culture. Winning championships requires all of those things and ultimately we felt that we needed to go in a different direction. On the player front, I think most would agree that we were able to find some outstanding pieces that we hope to build around as a core, much like we did with our first team in 2014. Not all of our choices worked out the way we wanted but that's the nature of the industry. Needing far fewer new players next year reduces the risk considerably.

It's now time to prepare for the next season. I'm not sure I've ever been this excited about an off season. The player market will be significantly better this year for three big reasons. The first is that North American playoffs will finish earlier than last year. We had numerous players that would have come to Cardiff decide that they couldn't come when we needed them to. Playoffs in North America last year lasted until mid-July and because of the CHL, we needed players in Cardiff in early August. Players just couldn't do that tight of a turnaround. This year, North America will be done in June and with not being in the CHL, we won't need players in as early. The second factor is the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I think there's a very good chance that there won't be any imports playing in the KHL this year and that will have a trickle-down effect on all leagues. The final advantage this year is that because of Covid, NCAA players were given an extra year of eligibility last year so very few players turned pro out of the NCAA last year. This year there should be a sizeable crop of players graduating and going into all levels of pro.

At the end of the day, we were pretty lucky as fans to have hockey back, sellout crowds, a close overtime loss in the Challenge Cup finals and a spectacular win in the playoff championships to make it three in a row. While anything short of a league title can't be called a complete success, I feel just so lucky as a fan to have people like Todd and Franny allowing us to have so much to cheer about every single season. No team in the league can match our success over the last eight years. So thank you all again for your support. Keep giving your opinions on players, coaches...even owners. It's all good and means you care...except for you, Mazzoak!!

Steve
Thanks Steve, good to end the season on an high. Hope to see you at the arena next season.

OJLloyd

Grateful to have had hockey back, and to sit in my seat again when there were real concerns we might never get back there.

Feel bad that it didn’t work out with Skalde, who does seem like a very nice guy, but appreciate the fact that the hunger for success has not dispersed over the pandemic.

And whilst I had some very frustrating evenings watching us away at times, there were also some pretty epic moments to enjoy. To name but a few:
1. the Brit line goal against the Storm;
2. Putting 5 past Sheffield in their barn, twice;
3. Beating Lausanne;
4. Coughler looking like he was going to try the Michigan (I know nearly isn’t all that exciting, but it got me physically out of my seat when I realised what he was possibly going to do)

At least with the Continental Cup we can have a long weekend in one place I suppose. Bring it on.

Swarley

4. Coughler looking like he was going to try the Michigan (I know nearly isn’t all that exciting, but it got me physically out of my seat when I realised what he was possibly going to do)
Glad I wasn't the only one who did this, even just teasing it left the hairs on the back of my neck standing straight up lol

Diablo3

Steve
Thanks for everything Steve. We had an up and down season, thankfully mostly up. Culminating in a threepeat at the playoffs in front of a bunch of Steelers fans who were cheering their team on loudly. Oh wait they weren't there. That was probably the best performance of the season.

drainage

So Skalde didn’t have a work ethic, passion for the Devils or culture, yeah sure. ;)
I don’t know if he did or didn‘t …not close enough to form an informed opinion but do I believe Steve has the success of the Devils at the heart of all decisions ….I do.

if you think you know better please share ….. am sure we can review and re assess our views with more facts from you

Mazzoak

I don’t know if he did or didn‘t …not close enough to form an informed opinion but do I believe Steve has the success of the Devils at the heart of all decisions ….I do.

if you think you know better please share ….. am sure we can review and re assess our views with more facts from you
Ive not questioned the owners or Todds ambition for the club, success is in every bodies interest, even mine. Every clubs owner wants to succeed, past and present.

E.D.S.

Ive not questioned the owners or Todds ambition for the club, success is in every bodies interest, even mine. Every clubs owner wants to succeed, past and present.
Aside from writing off this season claiming the club didn’t put together a team to compete or win anything this year. That’s not questioning their ambition at all - and you definitely didn’t repeatedly question their motives and integrity - claiming that they lied to the fans about the team just to make sales and maintain interest. It’s like you forget what you write.

Good post from Steve. Great to have a bit of feedback and communication from him - when he clearly doesn’t have to bother.

I know some find it tough to judge this season. As much as the league is the one that defines the best team, for me there is no better feeling than winning the playoffs and having a blast in Nottingham. Just amazing memories created yet again by this organisation that will last a life time.

3rd place, two cup finals, one trophy and Riley Brandt! I’m one happy fan. I wanted a competitive team. I didn’t demand a league winning one.

Definitely a successful year, all things considered.

kingmo19.1

Ok, so I’ve copied Steve’s message into my new Psychometric Message Analysis Detection App (c). This analysis text for common phrases, letter combinations, sentence relationship etc etc and from what I can detect, a player match has been identified! I will re-run the app to confirm!!!!!!!!!

Mazzoak

Aside from writing off this season claiming the club didn’t put together a team to compete or win anything this year. That’s not questioning their ambition at all - and you definitely didn’t repeatedly question their motives and integrity - claiming that they lied to the fans about the team just to make sales and maintain interest. It’s like you forget what you write.

Good post from Steve. Great to have a bit of feedback and communication from him - when he clearly doesn’t have to bother.

I know some find it tough to judge this season. As much as the league is the one that defines the best team, for me there is no better feeling than winning the playoffs and having a blast in Nottingham. Just amazing memories created yet again by this organisation that will last a life time.

3rd place, two cup finals, one trophy and Riley Brandt! I’m one happy fan. I wanted a competitive team. I didn’t demand a league winning one.

Definitely a successful year, all things considered.
I clearly pointed out the obvious reasons why, new coach, rebuild year, COVID Issues, impact of Brexit. Im not sorry l complicate matters by involving the business side of clubs success, but there is more to running a club than winning a cup or two. That’s not criticising the owners ambitions. More importantly Steve mentioned me personally, so there, I’m a marked girl.

Pembo

Ok, so I’ve copied Steve’s message into my new Psychometric Message Analysis Detection App (c). This analysis text for common phrases, letter combinations, sentence relationship etc etc and from what I can detect, a player match has been identified! I will re-run the app to confirm!!!!!!!!!
It’s like cracking the Enigma code. I noticed Steve said “Challenge Cup finals and a spectacular win”. Don’t need Bletchley park to spot the double capitalisation and choice of an adjective starting with S. Clearly Cox Coughler and Sanford confirmed, which is great news!