Signings for 2021/22 season

jenks33

Thread starter #265
You killed the rest though, good effort!
Haha, yeah I was fairly confident that Carruth, Mcnally and Sanford were signing. Fair play to Devil94 he/she called the Lammon signing. I just thought Lammon started following the devils on social media because he was mates with Register

Finny

5 new signings that confirm it’s going to be a Devils team that looks very different to what we have got used to over the past 7 years.

Hard to judge how good an import netminder will be, but I always tend to hope they’ve had good numbers in the ECHL with several call ups to the AHL. That’s exactly what we’ve got in Carruth. I wonder whether the second import netminder will be a similar standard or a younger, less experienced player.

As discussed previously McNally looks like he is someone who can handle himself whilst also chipping in with a good number of points. Someone who could well be a fans favourite and hated by opposition fans. Perhaps a Blair Riley type player?

Lammon has previously won awards for his defensive play and is probably McNammee’s replacement.

Cox and Sanford fascinate me, and not just because they seen to follow each other around.
Their WHL stats are phenomenal. Both quite short and both chose to further their education rather than try and cut it in the ECHL or AHL.
The EIHL tends to be a successful league for short, speedy players. I’m guessing these will be our 1st line wingers

If I was to guess how our forward lines are looking I’d go for:

Cox - New Import - Sanford
New Import/Haddad - Dixon - McNally
New Import/Mosey - Lammon - Davies
Waller - (Myers) - Duggan

august04 2.0

I'd be surprised if our second import netminder has the same level of experience as Carruth, that seems a little extravagant. Perhaps a European option even? There are many good goalies in Scandinavia/Eastern Europe, who would still be decent but perhaps less costly, if they haven’t played in the top Euro leagues? Equally maybe someone straight out of college too? Very interesting though.

moggy#9

What's interesting about this team is how much younger it seems to be than what went before (does anyone have some average age stats?). That said, if you look at the age some devils greats were when they came over, they were pretty young. John lawless, doug McEwen, Shannon hope and Steve Moria were all in their mid twenties when they came to the UK. Additionally they had to carry teams in the 3 import days.

I know things are different now, but the potential is there with younger players. This is a group of players built for the future. We may have to accept that we're not favourites for the league this year, in some people's eyes, due to the unknown quantities in our team and the need of coach and players to adjust. If kept together though this group of players could dominate for several years. The limited continuity at the moment bothers me so, if Haddad isn't back, it wouldn't surprise me to see Dixon as Captain.

It's also worth noting that, due to chl, our group of players could be together and paying weeks before other clubs. Hopefully, that'll give them the start they need.

What will be interesting is to compare our recruitment strategy with others - Belfast for instance seem to be signing some very familiar names.

If we are going by 13 imports,

We currently have 9 of them, Skalde said one is definitely a 2nd netminder, leaving 3. I'm guessing another top Dman and 2 quality Forwards. I'm hoping one is Haddad (who I think they will announce last, maybe as captain ).

With the size of the roster we would still need another 2 spots, Myers and maybe Rutkis OR with could go for an extra import (only dressing 13).

Can anyone see the remaining slots being returnees?, Haddad hopefully, Mosey maybe

Netminders Signed - 1/2
#30 Carruth
X Import

Defenceman Signed - 5/6
#04 Louis
#06 Mikkelson
#43 Register
#17 Richardson
#41 Batch
X Import

Forwards Signed - 8/12
#11 Dixon
#16 Duggan
#91 Waller
#05 Davies
#00 McNally
#00 Lammon
#00 Cox
#00 Sanford
X Import
X Import

X
X

Finny

I'd be surprised if our second import netminder has the same level of experience as Carruth, that seems a little extravagant. Perhaps a European option even? There are many good goalies in Scandinavia/Eastern Europe, who would still be decent but perhaps less costly, if they haven’t played in the top Euro leagues? Equally maybe someone straight out of college too? Very interesting though.
Agree that two experienced netminders seems extravagant and potentially a waste of money if we have one of them sat in the stand each game. A young guy straight from college would make more sense.
The only question would be when would you play him? With the league being the most important competition can you really risk your younger, less experienced netminder?

Unless of course we still have one quality Brit to announce, hopefully Myers.
Then, assuming the import limit is 13, we could still have four line hockey AND two import netminders each game.

moggy#9

Interesting to see interviews with Cox and carruth. Though the Cox interview seemed to be like pulling teeth. Carruth seemed much more at ease.

Finny

What's interesting about this team is how much younger it seems to be than what went before (does anyone have some average age stats?). That said, if you look at the age some devils greats were when they came over, they were pretty young. John lawless, doug McEwen, Shannon hope and Steve Moria were all in their mid twenties when they came to the UK. .
Based on how old Steve Moria claims to now be, he must have joined us when he was 4.

Slartibartfast

Being a statto nerd I like to do comparisons between new players and old.
Cole and Sanford put up some pretty impressive numbers though I always find the WHL hard to compare with other leagues. Most Devils players come from the ECHL. But looking at their best seasons stats Cox was 1.59 points a game and Sanford 1.4. To put this into perspective Brad Voth was 0.4 a game in the WHL. Layne Ulmer 1.75. (not a great comparison as we saw Layne at the end of his career. His stats showed he peaked in the AHL). Sandford only played half a season in the ECHL but was 0.78 per game which is very similar to Joey Martins first season. (0.77). Even Joey Haddads best ECHL season was 0.75.
With these guys being in the early parts of their career its exciting to see what they will bring and how they will adjust to the EIHL but if they can score goals like this one from Sanford at 3.25 in this video I will be happy.

Mazzoak

All bets are off for sure, I’m really stoked to get back to the IAW and see this team in action. Sure it’s seen as a risk to some fans, those that liked an ex player signing old talent, the classic safe zone form of coaching. What we’ve done and l actually applaud Steve for doing this, bringing a coach who has the knowledge, experience and talent to form a group like this is genius and l fully believe in a years time we won’t have trophies, what we will have is satisfied fans and future potential.
For those that think this is a Lord bashing, just think what would have been the fans reaction to new owners if Lord wasn’t there, if we’d not gone that way.
Just let the cleverness of that sink in, remove the hockey brain and think like a business owner stepping into the rink as a first time owner buying a club with our history & fan base. They needed Lord, Lord needed them. Now we move forward.

Love it Love it Love it.....

moggy#9

While you can't argue with the success we had, lordo had a particular style and the teams around the league kind of knew what to expect. The lack of foreknowledge about the new team, and the level of energy is going to make for fun.

Mazzoak

We all love trophies. We needed trophies & a winning ethos from the new owners to cement their relationship. It couldn’t continue, this isn’t football, Lord isn’t Alex & the country has changed. Money is tight, the future is uncertain and hopefully fan expectation has changed too. Considering where we are, any talk of criticism at this point in time is frankly ridiculous and vexing. Lets not become English football fans, lets not talk a result before a puck has dropped. It’s time to get back to supporting the club, being grateful we’re able to attend games again and think of those less fortunate........