Signings Thread - All Teams 2022/23

august04 2.0

I agree. Disappointing, but it was difficult to see where he would fit in. He is certainly going to bed a hard act to follow.
If money wasn’t an issue, it’s absolutely obvious where he would fit in - third line centre and at his age, with his style of play, he'd be perfect for that role - as well as his dominance in the face off circle being a huge advantage. It’s not about where he would fit in, it’s whether we could afford a player of his quality and experience on the third line. I have to assume that we couldn’t and that’s why he’s moved on.

Devils86

Well, I wasn't expecting that! A little gutted but I had expected him to retire. Hopefully he can do us a favour and take some points off our rivals next season - and hopefully not us! If Glan bring back Yellow Horn, and Roy...then that takes them to the next level (but will they have the money to bring both back and Dixon?).

Just realized that this season for the first time in ages: the best hair in the league won't be a Devil

kettdevil1

Odd decision by Clan to get a comment from.....Skalde about Dixon, WTF?

https://clanihc.com/post/news-skalde-backs-dixon-to-take-clan-forward/
To be fair he was Dixon's coach for the vast amount of last season so I can see the logic. If I remember rightly, Dixon was the one player that Skalde praised consistently all season.

Gutted he has gone, was actually expecting that he would retire, but..... good luck to him. A warrior of a player who will go down as one of the most iconic Devils players we have seen

august04 2.0

[
To be fair he was Dixon's coach for the vast amount of last season so I can see the logic. If I remember rightly, Dixon was the one player that Skalde praised consistently all season.

Gutted he has gone, was actually expecting that he would retire, but..... good luck to him. A warrior of a player who will go down as one of the most iconic Devils players we have seen
Isn’t Skalde still living in Cardiff?

Wannabe2

I think Dixon will be player assist coach at Clan, then move on to coaching the season after, it’s not just about money, it’s about life after playing.

Mazzoak

Good pick up by Clan, obviously looking to improve & hopefully will, pretty sure Dixon will be a major role there. As for the Devils, let’s judge this decision on his replacement, but at this point in time, what comes out of our new coaches mouth doesn’t appear to be possible with the signings, so far. That’s something familiar, fans wanting physical players, club wanting physical players, players wanting to be physical, then games are not so physical. As for Skalde, he’s likely to be having digs at us for some time yet, he’s still in the U.K. maybe there is a role for him in the U.K.

T10P

Well, I wasn't expecting that! A little gutted but I had expected him to retire. Hopefully he can do us a favour and take some points off our rivals next season - and hopefully not us! If Glan bring back Yellow Horn, and Roy...then that takes them to the next level (but will they have the money to bring both back and Dixon?).

Just realized that this season for the first time in ages: the best hair in the league won't be a Devil
Think I read somewhere that Yellow Horn has retired.

kingmo19.1

Controversial one (not trying to step into Mazzoaks shoes with this), but I’m not disappointed to see Dixon moving on. You could see age catching up with him last season and if you watch the playoff final again in detail he was totally gassed in that game. Happy for Clan to pick him up. I was fearing a final season would be a sentimental one too many - and we’ve had a few of them over the years!

ASHIPP

Would imagine that his age and salary could be replaced by a younger player of same calibre. Let's hope the new player brings the physicality and face off prowess the fans are hoping for.

Last edited:

Pembo

Controversial one (not trying to step into Mazzoaks shoes with this), but I’m not disappointed to see Dixon moving on. You could see age catching up with him last season and if you watch the playoff final again in detail he was totally gassed in that game. Happy for Clan to pick him up. I was fearing a final season would be a sentimental one too many - and we’ve had a few of them over the years!
I’m a little on the fence. I think clearly stamina increasingly an issue as players get older, although SD was playing first line due to Dupont’s form and injury at the beginning of the season. I felt there were times pre-Brandt where in some games he was the only forward to consistently bring consistent physicality and could provoke a response from the crowd. We generally did start moving towards a more forecheck/physical game as season went on and benefitted from it. Playoff final was a bit unfair to assess Dixon as he was constantly brought back onto ice when key playoffs needed to be won. He ate a lot of ice time. Also through the season his point production kept up with previous seasons with Devils.

I would have had doubts about SD as first line centre next season but would have been pretty chuffed to have him back as centre for a physical 3rd line. I suspect Davies may be the Brit to make way for another import with us signing Bowns, so presumably need a big body face off monster at this point! All the best to Dixon, I’m sure he’ll get a well deserved warm welcome up in Braehead and when he comes back to IAW.