Signings Thread - All Teams 2022/23

Swarley

he won’t stand a chance dropping them with big lou around good luck
I don't think it'll be Lou that drops gloves with him, Mcnally wouldn't be dumb enough to try anything with Lou on the ice *bit like Connolly* , if anything I think he will take a few cheap shots at one of the new guys and it'll be Brittian that'll step up and rattle his teeth.

I've watched a few of Brittians videos and he's definitely got a decent swing in him, that or Brandt will run through him like a wrecking ball lol

Rempel16

I think McNally is going to go for whoever he allegedly didn't get on with off the ice - there was a couple apparently (aside from Carruth).

moggy#9

I don't think it'll be Lou that drops gloves with him, Mcnally wouldn't be dumb enough to try anything with Lou on the ice *bit like Connolly* , if anything I think he will take a few cheap shots at one of the new guys and it'll be Brittian that'll step up and rattle his teeth.

I've watched a few of Brittians videos and he's definitely got a decent swing in him, that or Brandt will run through him like a wrecking ball lol
I can foresee brandt introducing himself to some of the new players in the league very early on. Belfast first on the list. ;-)

Swarley

I think McNally is going to go for whoever he allegedly didn't get on with off the ice - there was a couple apparently (aside from Carruth).
If that's the case he must be looking to be either riding the injury list for the season or sit out banned because looking at our roster for this season we have more than enough guys who could undo him and embarrass him in multiple ways.

I'm not taking away his skills as he had a glimmer of decent play for us but I think if he picked a fight with any of our lot he would find himself in deep water unable to swim.

Rempel16

If that's the case he must be looking to be either riding the injury list for the season or sit out banned because looking at our roster for this season we have more than enough guys who could undo him and embarrass him in multiple ways.

I'm not taking away his skills as he had a glimmer of decent play for us but I think if he picked a fight with any of our lot he would find himself in deep water unable to swim.
Very true. I wouldn't fancy him against Louis, Batch or Brittain and I think Brandt would have a good crack too.

I must stress though. It's only rumour about him not getting on with a few of the team. I can't state it as fact.

Devil94

I find it bizarre this talk of "who have we got that could hurt McNally". Why are we still talking like we're in the 80s?
This is a guy that put his body on the line for us only last season, fought more than anybody else for us, and scored some big goals and provided some good entertainment. And we're already talking about 'rattling his teeth'. And it's not like he's snubbed us and went to our rivals, it was us that went a different direction and he was looking for a new job.
I enjoy having an agitator, I think it's a role we have were lacking for years before McNally. He will continue to do that next year, of course against us too, because that's what he does. I'm not saying we have to like him playing for Sheffield, but surely we don't have to talk about him like this? Appreciate his efforts for our club and wish him well.

Swarley

I find it bizarre this talk of "who have we got that could hurt McNally". Why are we still talking like we're in the 80s?
This is a guy that put his body on the line for us only last season, fought more than anybody else for us, and scored some big goals and provided some good entertainment. And we're already talking about 'rattling his teeth'. And it's not like he's snubbed us and went to our rivals, it was us that went a different direction and he was looking for a new job.
I enjoy having an agitator, I think it's a role we have were lacking for years before McNally. He will continue to do that next year, of course against us too, because that's what he does. I'm not saying we have to like him playing for Sheffield, but surely we don't have to talk about him like this? Appreciate his efforts for our club and wish him well.
Isn't about hurting him it's about knowing our team can deal with anything he might be tempted to try, or would you prefer the team to just roll over for him as he is an ex player?

His efforts on the ice for us were appreciated at the time, regardless of what team he signed for the response would be the same, if he tries anything our team can and will handle him.

Wannabe2

With you 200%, the crowd weren’t blurting out Oh Brandon McNally for nothing, he was entertaining and playing very well before his injury, I can see him getting involved if Brandt levels someone, but not sure if he will be silly
enough to take needless penalties. But we now move on and get behind this seasons team, and I bet we all can’t wait.

Devil94

Isn't about hurting him it's about knowing our team can deal with anything he might be tempted to try, or would you prefer the team to just roll over for him as he is an ex player?

His efforts on the ice for us were appreciated at the time, regardless of what team he signed for the response would be the same, if he tries anything our team can and will handle him.
No ones talking about rolling over for him. If he does something extremely stupid then it doesn't matter who he is. But he hasn't even put on an orange jersey yet and we're talking about rattling his teeth, only months after he was in our play off winning team.

Of course we have the individuals to handle it if goes there. But most often than not it doesn't. If it did Connolly, McNally etc would be jumped on in every rink they go, but they aren't. Because they're good at what they do, they know where the line is, and the game is more entertaining as a result.

Swarley

No ones talking about rolling over for him. If he does something extremely stupid then it doesn't matter who he is. But he hasn't even put on an orange jersey yet and we're talking about rattling his teeth, only months after he was in our play off winning team.

Of course we have the individuals to handle it if goes there. But most often than not it doesn't. If it did Connolly, McNally etc would be jumped on in every rink they go, but they aren't. Because they're good at what they do, they know where the line is, and the game is more entertaining as a result.
You say they're good at what they do, I partly disagree with you on that, Connolly definitely knows how to get away with being a rat, McNally not so much his temper always got the better of him and he always got caught.

I have notice a lot of teams this season have beefed up on the tough guy sort of player which could mean a lot more of a physical game so it might even reduce the amount of rat style playing which could be a good thing in my opinion.

Hedd Wyn John

It's worth remembering that yes we were 14 points behind, and for most of those games we lost points, like Dundee 3 times, Fife, Coventry at home (there's more but I can't remember), Carruth was in net.
Now I know there were a few problems in our rough patch, not scoring goals was one, and a leaky defense was another. But if your netminder is someone you don’t necessarily get on with, a character that divides the room, then would the players in front of him play for him 100%? Especially a mid week game in Kirkcaldy. Would they block every shot they could? It would be subconscious of course, but these things matter.

Kozun on the other hand won 11 straight of his league games? The defense seemed a lot tighter in front of him. I reckon that's a big reason why he and Bowns is back and Mac is not.
The way I see it- last season the Devils just weren't at the races for most of it. Skalde's run & gun hockey style never really gelled and we lacked enough goal scorers as well as a leaky defence for most of the season. Things improved towards the end but whenever we were due to do a trip to somewhere like Dundee or Coventry (especially Coventry) it always felt like we could be beaten & often would be beaten. Carruth kept us in so many games were the team wasn't at the races where otherwise we looked like losing. He might have had issues off the ice or in the locker room but he was in my view the best net minder last season.

I'm happy with Bowns returning and the overall look of the team.

hip check

The way I see it- last season the Devils just weren't at the races for most of it. Skalde's run & gun hockey style never really gelled and we lacked enough goal scorers as well as a leaky defence for most of the season. Things improved towards the end but whenever we were due to do a trip to somewhere like Dundee or Coventry (especially Coventry) it always felt like we could be beaten & often would be beaten. Carruth kept us in so many games were the team wasn't at the races where otherwise we looked like losing. He might have had issues off the ice or in the locker room but he was in my view the best net minder last season.

I'm happy with Bowns returning and the overall look of the team.
Whatever happens in our games with Sheffield I'm sure the entertainment value will be good, having an ex player on the opposition bench should gaurantee a little bit of needle put into the mix, personally I'm more excited about seeing Brandt on the rampage than any nonsense McNally may try.

Devil94

So Belfast sign Darik Angeli. He was on my wish list at the start of the off season, and because of the Kansas connection I thought there was a chance, we must have talked to him. But I reckon he has the potential to be the signing of the summer in the league.