Six Nations to be played behind closed doors

nicky27

Thread starter #1
What will this mean for Devils? Talking another month away so are we likely to be watching online for that long?

TL91

From a financial view, I can’t see WG having a choice but to open up? Apparently each home game at the millennium is meant to be worth £4m to the WRU…bare in mind there’s apparently a £3m pot for professional clubs at the moment that doesn’t work. Either that or they’re going to have to stump up a huge amount more!

moggy#9

From a financial view, I can’t see WG having a choice but to open up? Apparently each home game at the millennium is meant to be worth £4m to the WRU…bare in mind there’s apparently a £3m pot for professional clubs at the moment that doesn’t work. Either that or they’re going to have to stump up a huge amount more!
Not just the wru either. Most of the bars in the centre of Cardiff rely on the influx of booze hags for the event.

TL91

Plus the unbelievably bad PR if the WRU did in fact take games to England. Where they’re fortunate is first home game is 12th Feb, so if the peak is end of Jan as predicted, it’ll be seen to be dropping and open up? Either way, think we’ll be in until February behind closed doors.

Pembo

Mid feb would be my guess if gun put to head. Should be a big fall off in cases later this month or early next when omicron runs out of enough fresh people to infect (before immunity wanes in people who’ve already had it).

Pembo

Not just the wru either. Most of the bars in the centre of Cardiff rely on the influx of booze hags for the event.
Feel really sorry for hospitality sector close to England as they are losing out big time with the regs being so different each side of the border. If people travel to England to party anyway, Welsh measures are going to be significantly less effective. Not having a UK wide system is leading to massive financial inequality with hospitality jobs currently more at risk in Wales than England. Sadly COVID policy has become increasingly about politics than about health or economics.

BostonBart22

Not looking good if we are still behind closed doors especially jan 19th when we play dundee in the challenge cup, todd would be expecting a full house for this one the way we are playing at mo..perhaps we can slot a February date for it as the season will no doubt be extended a few weeks .

Martynwo

Wales played away at Twickers when the Mill Stad was being built so it make sense to me, however who would want to attend an event with 82k others drinking and singing spraying covid around

moggy#9

Wales played away at Twickers when the Mill Stad was being built so it make sense to me, however who would want to attend an event with 82k others drinking and singing spraying covid around
To me it's a pretty sad state of affairs when an organisation like there wru is looking for ways around the restrictions rather supporting the aims.

Hedd Wyn John

To me it's a pretty sad state of affairs when an organisation like there wru is looking for ways around the restrictions rather supporting the aims.
Financially the WRU is taking a massive hit & there are no guarantees that WG funding will cover all their losses. If the rules allow playing in England who are we to question it?

Diablo3

Just shows how pointless these restrictions are. Swansea, Cardiff and Newport football fans along with Devils and a host of rugby teams can all go to England to watch their teams where there are higher rates of infection then bring it all back with them. It is time to let it run its course.

Hedd Wyn John

Well that's another week of no change in Wales then:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59895505

Our next scheduled home game is January 16th, so maybe things will be different by then, who knows ?
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Case numbers are high. Thankfully deaths aren't but right now decisions seem to be taken based on case numbers and I think it will be a while before we see big drops in that.

matbur

Yeah, it's going to be a few weeks but once we're over the worst I think they'll drop restrictions pretty quickly.

Nobody should be surprised by this decision.

BostonBart22

Just shows how pointless these restrictions are. Swansea, Cardiff and Newport football fans along with Devils and a host of rugby teams can all go to England to watch their teams where there are higher rates of infection then bring it all back with them. It is time to let it run its course.
Not just sporting fans bringing the virus back with them its also the english who work in wales who travel to work here, Boris dont care about the other 3 nations as long as he and his cronies can enjoy their freedom but not us, feel free boris to decorate your pad again at our expense..