Something strange happening on this site

DevilDom

Thread starter #1
Deleted and missing posts? and not just my own and who is Admin?

I made a sarcastic post referring to an obviously popular member on this forum and it disappears?

When did this forum become a place for only the chosen or the "clique" to comment and who decides what stays and what is mysteriously removed?

Is it now a facist state where if your not in with the right crowd or agree with everything they say then your posts go missing?

I donated when funds were recently requested but won't be doing so again.

James

Administrator
Hi Dom. The admin account is accessable to both myself and Chris. All mods have permissions to delete or amend posts if they see fit. There is certainly no clique, nor is it something I or the other mods would advocate. I'll look into this and send you a PM

Chris

Administrator
Posts have been deleted and largely i've sent pm's to the people who's posts needed a reason for deletion.

Your sarcastic post was viewed by me as being unnecessary so it was deleted. I'm not sure why people feel the need to have a dig at others on here, whether it's sarcastic or not. It's notoriously difficult to gauge sarcasm on a forum and threads have gone massively off topic previously because of one or two remarks taken the wrong way.

It hasn't become a place for this supposed 'clique' although i'd be quite interested to know who you think is part of some exclusive group besides myself.

Is it now a facist state where if your not in with the right crowd or agree with everything they say then your posts go missing?
I do take exception to this, the forum has never been run along those lines and never will be. I think some of the recent threads such as the remembrance day jersey thread, the coaching thread illustrate just how many different opinions there are on these boards.

I donated when funds were recently requested but won't be doing so again.
That's fair enough, we thanked everyone for their donations, but if one or two actions by myself makes your view so polarised, i'm not sure what I can do...

Chris.

DevilDom

Thread starter #4
Chris - take exception as much as you like. I reserve the right to say what is on my mind provided it is not abusive or offensive towards a particular individual and that post was not. Myself and the person in question have had a number of tete a tete's with much worse said by both and not deleted.

I have seen posts made by other individuals about me on this forum without them being deleted nor would I request them to be.

The fact that you deleted my post without telling answers my question. You were obviously hoping it would slip under the radar and would not be noted.

I think it is a sad day for this forum and at this moment i'm quite angry about it.

Chris

Administrator
Chris - take exception as much as you like. I reserve the right to say what is on my mind provided it is not abusive or offensive towards a particular individual and that post was not. Myself and the person in question have had a number of tete a tete's with much worse said by both and not deleted.

I have seen posts made by other individuals about me on this forum without them being deleted nor would I request them to be.

The fact that you deleted my post without telling answers my question. You were obviously hoping it would slip under the radar and would not be noted.

I think it is a sad day for this forum and at this moment i'm quite angry about it.
I reserve the right to say what is on my mind provided it is not abusive or offensive towards a particular individual and that post was not.
I don't understand this, my post didn't contain anything saying you couldn't post your opinion or views, I merely posted my own back...

Why would I be hoping it would slip under the radar, if the post isn't necessary then there should be no problem about deleting it.

I've edited numerous posts also that i've seen with unnecessary remarks, I do not need to post on here my reasons for moderating a post.

We've had complaints that we don't moderate enough, now i've started moderating apparently it's not the done thing.

No one requested the post be deleted, infact i'm sure the person mentioned in your post had no idea the post was even gone, I have never deleted or edited something that has been requested unless i've also decided it's broken some rule of the forum. Luckily for myself the forum has largely been self moderating until recently.

I'm not sure why it's a sad day for the forum, some moderating happened. It happens on all forums and the reasons do not need to be revealed on the public side of the forums.

Chris.

steve

Devildom, on a personal note, and not having spoken to chris or james about this, i would agree that something strange has been happening on here recently. it has got a little frustrating the speed with which threads get 'hijacked' and end up in arguments unrelated to the topic. i don't know why, but the last few weeks has seen a huge increase in threads going walk-abouts and i guess the deleting of posts (first time is tonight) was an innocent way of us trying to keep things fairly sensible.

we havent prevented or stifled debate, all i have tried to do recently is try and prevent things going awry early on, maybe we shouldn't and we should put up with it, i don't know. but i'm trying to stop the place getting too negative. if, as earlier i feel the argument is of no interest to anyone else other than the indiviudal, why not remove? there have been many times when mods have been criticised openly (including me) where posts have not been altered because they may be of interest to the wider audience - just like this thread wont get deleted.

i would be happy to refund any money donated from my own pocket if you feel the integrity of the people running this forum is compromised.

Gaz G

DevilDom said:

I've read up to here on this matter and think you are being ever so slightly soft. You may have an issue but airing it publicly is not right and the distinct lack of appreciation for what the guys have put into organising, setting up, managing and running this site is completely out of order. If you have issues it may be best in future to disscuss them via P.M and stop being a child.

Without the services of this forum (which in my eyes is the best ice hockey forum in the U.K) we would certainly be struggling to find somewhere to moan about nothing.

Kipper

Gaz G said:
DevilDom said:

I've read up to here on this matter and think you are being ever so slightly soft. You may have an issue but airing it publicly is not right and the distinct lack of appreciation for what the guys have put into organising, setting up, managing and running this site is completely out of order. If you have issues it may be best in future to disscuss them via P.M and stop being a child.

Without the services of this forum (which in my eyes is the best ice hockey forum in the U.K) we would certainly be struggling to find somewhere to moan about nothing.
Great post. Spot on Gaz

CardiffdevilsCaswell said:
As a user of this forum i dont think posts should be removed unless abusive/foul language is used.
When you signed up to the forum you agreed to the terms "'The-inferno.co.uk' have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit." ;)

PS. Thats not just aimed at you but everyone who agreed to the terms and conditions when joining this forum.

wildthing74

I must confess I dont know any of the parties involved in this debate so no bias either way.Whilst maybe Dom's stance may be see as OTT I agreed with his initial point.
I think I know the post that has caused this reaction and for what it's worth I dont think it was bad at all,certainly not to be removed.
We all love this site and my day would be duller without it.I appreciate all the hard work that the admin and mods do behind the scenes to give us a platform for our views etc but I also find it strange that post was deleted.

rolf

i feel quite hurt by this thread. as the self-styled grumpy old man on this forum, i have NEVER had a post deleted. i must try harder in future..................off to kick me cat now, and that is not a euphemism!

august04

Finny said:
Internet Forums Rule 1:
If you don't like the way the Admin user works, find another forum.
Explanations have been received by the Mods and Admin. Why do you find it necessary to aggravate the situation further? Shouldn't be surprised really.

Finny

august04 said:
Finny said:
Internet Forums Rule 1:
If you don't like the way the Admin user works, find another forum.
Explanations have been received by the Mods and Admin. Why do you find it necessary to aggravate the situation further? Shouldn't be surprised really.
Other people have replied since the Mods have commented. The topic is not locked.
Yet you haven't replied to them. Shouldn't be suprised really.

Finny

Too slow to edit above post...

Too many people seem to think they have all these rights on internet forums. They don't.
In the end it comes down to the fact that the Admin's setup the forum and basically they can do what they want.

If people aren't happy they can go and create their own forum. After all, this is how The Inferno was setup.
DevilDom can go and create their own forum and run it how they want. However, I wouldn't expect the users of this forum to all leave suddenly like they did with Bobs EIHL forum.

Wannabe2

Well i have had a few posts deleted, and in hindsight they shouldnt have been said in the first place, and was a bit childish by me in the first place. Things sometimes do get a little heated, especially when things on the ice are getting many of us frustrated, and wrongly short fused, sometimes we who post them can be a little blinded to what we say, but people not involved see them through neutral eyes, and are usually correct. As have been said countless times before, things would be a lot poorer without this terrific forum, and the very hard work that people do to keep it happening. Whenever i have had a post deleted i have usually taken a step back, and realised i was a bit pratish about something, and i do know i can be a knob at times, but god i couldnt manage without the best forum in the land. Anyway the team will be turning the corner soon, winning the Challenge cup, and the play-offs, and then we will all as Devils fans be frustration free.
HAPPY FORUM DAYS.