SORAC and the New Rink

Thread starter #1
SORAC is concerned about the reported Planet Ice Tender for a Single pad 6000 seater areana for ice sports in the Sports Village. Although the Council owe the people of Wales a replacement for the Wales National Ice Rink which was a single pad, we have moved on and there is more ice time needed for Ice Sports as they stand now let alone if they are to develop further and prosper in the Sports Village.

We want to ensure the winning tender is beneficial to all users of the rink and not just to a private companies profits. Our concern is that a 6000 seater arena could be seen as an alternative to the CIA for a concert venue and could push Ice Sports aside.

Planet Ice haven t endeared themselve to the hockey and ice sports community in Cardiff, they ignore complaints eg There has been no working dryer in the Disabled toilets for nearly two years, disabled spaces in the Car park have been taken by able bodied drivers. The Council are probably unaware of the shortcomings of the current operator.

It will be no good moaning after they are given the contract so we want to encourage you to write to Councillor Nigel Howells with your personal experiences of the current operator. With such a short timescale until the contract is awarded we suggest that you do it via the council web site http://www.cardiff.gov.uk . Go to the Councillors section and click on Coun Nigel Howells and contact him, You could also send it to Rodney Berman

As a committeee we can only act with your support so please get writing, I am sure there are loads of unresolved complaints

Wannabe2

It has come to our attention that there has been a breakdown in communication as to the PI plans for the new arena. At this moment in time the only communication we need to have with the council is to let them know that we would prefer the Devils to be the operators, the news on PI,s plans to have a 6000 seater at the moment isnt fact at all. Sorry for the misunderstanding but we need to back off any hassle of the council at the mo, as that just might be to our detriment, and thats the last thing we need. Thanks guys we are all a passionate lot, and want the best for the club we all love, but if we can just put the brakes on at the moment as thats for the best. Roll on the Coventry game.

Thread starter #9
Wannabe2 said:
It has come to our attention that there has been a breakdown in communication as to the PI plans for the new arena. At this moment in time the only communication we need to have with the council is to let them know that we would prefer the Devils to be the operators, the news on PI,s plans to have a 6000 seater at the moment isnt fact at all. Sorry for the misunderstanding but we need to back off any hassle of the council at the mo, as that just might be to our detriment, and thats the last thing we need. Thanks guys we are all a passionate lot, and want the best for the club we all love, but if we can just put the brakes on at the moment as thats for the best. Roll on the Coventry game.

As was said in the original post, it will be too late once PI are awarded the contract. We are highlighting any problems with the council now, because with the investment that is required this won t just be a 3 or 5 year contract. This is for the long term, if you are happy with the service provided by PI say so, if you are not then tell the council. YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY AGAIN.

As a committee we are independent from the Devils organization and always have been and were formed to look after the interests of all users and to ensure the continuity of ice in Cardiff following the demolition of the WNIR

TheStub

Wannabe is right. Bringing too much pressure to bear may be counter productive at this time. Better to send in a well considered letter on behalf of the skaters of South Wales pointing out the requirement for a dual ice facility.

You don't want to put forward the image that the fans just like to argue.

We won t get another chance, if we miss this one then we may get the operator that we have put uo with over the last four years for the next 10 to 20 years and we will only have ourselves to blame.

TheStub

Or you may lose any say you may have had.

Has anyone from SORAC spoken to the council with a view of having a role in the decision making process. Maybe coming in as an expert Witness?

I strongly suggest a professional approach rather than a militant one. I really worry that a "everyone email the council" will backfire.

Maybe collect these views yourselves and look to present it to the council formally? PI being in the race has been common knowledge for several months now, so we've had plenty of time to get action organised.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Stub, the time scale here won t allow that, a decision is expected later this month. It is not militant to inform the council or highlight un resolved complaints. SORAC is not favouring any particular bid. The committee just wants to ensure that all of the original users that backed them in the original fight to save the ice in Cardiff get a fair deal.

Personally I want the best facility whoever wins the tender, but I would like it to remain the best facility and to see it run professionally with re investment not run with a view to recoup the initial outlay as quickly as possible and then make as much money as possible without maintaining the facility to a high standard.

For bad to succeed all is required is that the good men do nothing

Well I've said my piece, if it helps it helps. I'm down the rink the minimum of four times a week and thats without the season starting, I just want what's best for Cardiff and ice sports, I haven't named names, I've just given them my personal opinion as a rink visitor/user. :?