sorry but this is bugging me.

Hockeymad

Thread starter #1
If giants win the continental cup do they automatically qualify for the CHL?
If they do and devils win the league does that mean we both go in to the CHL?

If giants win league and continental cup,
Is it then the winner of the playoffs?
Or the team that finishes second?

Just curious as it’s bugging me ;)

Diablo3

I know that if they win the EIHL get another CHL spot, But I think it goes to the playoff winners, although not sure

Hockeymad

Thread starter #4
So as I understand if giants win the continental cup next week.
Who ever finishes first in the league gets to the chl with them,

But if giants win the eihl too then it’s who ever wins the playoffs,

So let giants win the continental cup and we win the league and the playoffs are irrelevant haha,

BostonBart22

So let giants win the continental cup and we win the league and the playoffs are irrelevant haha,
playoff winners will get coninental cup if thats the case unless devil or giants win playoffs then the runner up of playoffs will get the spot. confused . com

Diablo3

I guess it's all tongue in cheek but nope. Given the Devils will win the league (on my Santa's wish list and I still believe in Santa) and we don't win the playoffs then its the playoff winners who get the CHL spot. Giant's winning the Continental cup doesn't give them a CHL spot

fdlf666

The Continental Cup Winners get automatic entry to the following years CHL.
In regard to the EIHL, for the 2018/19 season, the EIHL league winners will represent the EIHL in the Champions Hockey League, while the playoff winners will represent the EIHL in the IIHF Continental Cup.
If a team cannot participate in the Continental Cup, then the order of teams’ choice for participation in each tournament is as follows:
a. IIHF Continental Cup – Playoff Winners;
b. Next open spot if not taken by one of the teams above – Challenge Cup Winner;
c. Next open spot if not taken by one of the teams above – League Runners Up.

I’m afraid the above, especially with the reference to the 2018/19 season, has imo muddied the waters more. Perhaps the following will clarify the situation.

FROM CHAMPIONSHOCKEYLEAGUE.COM

At its meeting held in Vienna (in December) the CHL Board approved that HK Gomel (BLR), the Belfast Giants (GBR) and GKS Katowice (POL) fulfil the standards required to qualify for the 2019/20 Champions Hockey League should they win the Continental Cup. All of them would be new in Europe’s most prestigious club competition, as none of them have played in the Champions Hockey League before.

Should HK Gomel, the Belfast Giants or GKS Katowice win the IIHF Continental Cup, their national league will be granted an additional second place for the 2019/20 Champions Hockey League season – which is allocated to the league champions. Should the IIHF Continental Cup winners also be the national champions, the second place will be allocated to the regular season winners of Belarus/Poland or to the playoff winners of Great Britain (as, in line with their traditions, the EIHL crowns their national champions at the end of the regular season).

So, in case it’s still not clear, if Giants win the Continental Cup it DOES give them a CHL spot next season. In that case, the team that wins the Elite league will also get a CHL spot BUT if that happens to be the Giants (God forbid) then the place goes instead to the playoff winners. There seems to be no mention of what happens if Giants claim that too. Playoff runners up might get it but I suppose it could well be that only 1 spot will be awarded in the CHL with the PO runners up going into the Continental Cup. However, when the Devils won the league and PO’s last season, the CC place went to the Challenge Cup winners, which painfully for us Devils fans was Belfast!

Gospel

Its going to be a tough couple of weeks for the Giants with so many games to play. 3 in this Conti cup then the double header against us the following weekend then 4 games in 4 days (2 home & 2 away). We have 2 big games against the Panthers and 1 against Sheffield plus Clan, Flyers & Storm.

As for the CHL, destiny is in our hands at the present time and hopefully it wont matter to us what Belfast do, however if they don't win the Conti cup then that places huge pressure on the following weekends games against us as only 1 CHL spot will be up for grabs and that goes to the league winners.

Fingers crossed for the guys and hope we continue with our points streak.

Leighton

so if Giants don't win the continental cup no-one is going to the CHL? am i reading it wrong? seems all the CHL places in the scenarios above revolve around them winning the conti cup.

Hockeymad

Thread starter #14
To be honest I think giants will win the continental cup, they are favourites in my eyes.

If they don’t win the continental cup then the one who wins the league will qualify for the CHL

Gospel

Think your being a bit harsh on the other teams. Both ARL & GKS top their league right now whilst GOM are 5th. It wont be easy for the Giants even at home.

kettdevil1

Think your being a bit harsh on the other teams. Both ARL & GKS top their league right now whilst GOM are 5th. It wont be easy for the Giants even at home.
That was my call as well - my gut feeling is that this debate is irrelevant as the standard of teams looks much higher than when Nottingham won a couple of seasons ago. The Giants have a chance but it is a tough ask.

bdevil

The league winners qualify for CHL regardless of who wins the continental cup.
The issue arises IF Belfast win both league and continental cup. Belfast will have qualified for Chl as Continental cup winners therefor the “league winners spot” goes to playoff winners. If that happens to also be Belfast then it goes to 2nd in the league I believe.
If Belfast don’t win Conti cup only league winners qualify for CHL and winner of playoffs qualifies for Conti cup. If league winners and playoffs winners are the same (as happened last year) challenge cup winners qualify for Conti cup.
Think this makes sense.

Posted on THF by a Giants fan-

"Interestingly enough the Giants owners the odyssey trust have just stated they have no intention of entering the CHL next season even if they qualify."