Stars Vs Devils - CC 1/4F - 8th Dec 21

Hedd Wyn John

Passion is great and we need more of it. What we don't need is a player losing their head over a minor incident at a critical point in the game.

We we were set up for a strong p3 having just pulled a goal back at the end of P2 and instead we ended up with a 5 minute PK on top of a 2 minute PK. We can have all the passion in the world but if we give away many more 5 minute penalties the only thing we'll be winning is the wooden spoon.

Passion is great and we need more of it. What we don't need is a player losing their head over a minor incident at a critical point in the game.

We we were set up for a strong p3 having just pulled a goal back at the end of P2 and instead we ended up with a 5 minute PK on top of a 2 minute PK. We can have all the passion in the world but if we give away many more 5 minute penalties the only thing we'll be winning is the wooden spoon.
At least we get something for finishing at the bottom

Mazzoak

If Lord,Martin and Haddad come back to Cardiff surely it would mean they made a bad decision and have failed.
Just looking for a retirement package like other ex Devils.
Is that what we want players coming home to Mummy and Daddy?
Not really. I’ve wanted a change, in both bench management (won’t mention The God as it offends people, yet they constantly refer to previous players, sorry, couldn’t help myself, way too much irony) and recruitment style. Skalde just needs time & a proper budget to get decent players.

jenks33

Agree with you. We all like to see passion and I agree with others that Mcnally is one of the few that is bringing it. I can’t support his behaviour last night tho, that was brainless. It didn’t even look like an incident he should be losing his head over. 5-0 down and it’s a bit more understandable, we had just got it back to 2-1 in the first leg of a cup game though and the momentum would have been with us at the start of the third. What if he gets a 5 game suspension now? I just don’t see how all that carry on last night would have been worth it.

Mazzoak

But..... there's no way that fella was drunk the way he navigated those steps. I can't stop watching it! It actually impresses me.
Apparently they call him the “ blur” because he’s so fast
Maybe the “Coke Head” would be more appropriate & not because of the drinking coke....... powdered variety tends to make a person very brave, confident & wired.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

We we were set up for a strong p3 having just pulled a goal back at the end of P2 and instead we ended up with a 5 minute PK on top of a 2 minute PK. We can have all the passion in the world but if we give away many more 5 minute penalties the only thing we'll be winning is the wooden spoon.[/
There’s players and players, when that mist descends some go on another planet.

voth26

If we finish 4th or lower and don’t win a cup I think Skalde’s gone. I’m not saying that’s necessarily what I would do but I think the owners will want a change. The problem Skalde’s got is there are zero signs that he’s building something. Absolutely zero. In my opinion 4 months is enough time to see signs that we are moving in the right direction. Let’s not forget as well he also had 12 months before the season started to study the British game and do everything possible to make sure the Devils were going to be a force. It clearly wasn’t the ideal situation but still we’re not talking about a coach that got the job in July of this year.
Of course a few individuals have been impressive but as far as tactics, team chemistry, team DNA there’s nothing there. And Recruitment has been mediocre at best. The fact we haven’t heard from Steve King for a while speaks volumes in my opinion.

The worry I’ve got is if Skalde isn’t our coach next season will Kelman go for Paul Thompson. It’s no secret that Todd is a big admirer of Thompson and they’re quite pally. I think Thompson is a better coach than some give him credit for but there’s too much history there for me. He’s got too much of an association with Sheffield and Coventry and a lot of fans will never take to him. It’s a risk Kelman and the owners never need to take in my opinion.
I'd go for Dixon from Guildford always seems to put a hard working team together

Hockeymad

Guys we had the luxury of winning things 5 years straight. There are 3 4 top top teams in this league that will compete and want trophies just as bad as we do.

We have no right to win games we must work hard and earn them.

Unfortunately it dont always happen and this year may be the year we win absolutely nothing.

But it's not the end of the world ok.

We go again next season and hope it's a lot better.

Let's hope something changes and we can atleast compete maybe sneak the playoffs.

We can all sit here and debate which player needs going etc but we never have the final say so it's pointless arguing amongst ourselves as it gets us no where

voth26

I’ve always liked him. Seems to be able to get a the best out of most players that Guildford sign and they are usually entertaining to watch. Seems like a bloke that players like playing for
That's the impression I get, you can see he commands respect and gives his players his respect and does it in the right way. I think he'd be a good fit for the devils if skalde moves on

Wannabe2

It would take a whole wad of money to take Dixon from Guildford, great coach who always gets the best out of his players, and is respected big time Guildford would fight tooth and nail to keep him. Flames owner apparently is the wealthiest in the league and knows that clubs success is down to their coach.

moggy#9

Goodness, is kind of shocking that we've moved so rapidly from wondering whether skalde is up to the job to lining up his replacement. I wonder how Todd and the owners are going to react to that.

voth26

Goodness, is kind of shocking that we've moved so rapidly from wondering whether skalde is up to the job to lining up his replacement. I wonder how Todd and the owners are going to react to that.
I'm not lining up Skalde's replacement , and to be honest I don't/wouldn't have an issue with Todd or the owners reacting in any way. My point being that if Dixon who has a not so comprehensive CV as Skalde can get his team to play as a team with a passion and a never say die attitude then why can't Skalde do the same with the devils

At the end of the day us fans can complain as much as we like but at the end of the day we don’t own the club and if the owners don’t want to make changes to the players or coaching staff then we all have to suck it up . Steve King and co saved this club from the wrecks seasons ago and thank you to him and co we must all trust in the owners and Todd Kelman to get us out of this sticky patch and support them !