Stars Vs Devils - CC 1/4F - 8th Dec 21

moggy#9

I agree with this. We won 1 CHL game & were clearly second best in the other games. No criticism intended given the budget differences etc but I don't buy the idea we were a really good team in the CHL & suddenly turned bad. The team has its issues from the start.
As you say, fundamental issues were there the CHL simply shines a more intense light on them because mistakes are punished more consistently. Loose and no look passes are never going to be a good thing though. Neither is a lack of positional awareness and missing assignments.

It's also worth pointing out the role that familiarity plays in our league. When you play each other multiple times your opponents will learn your weaknesses. That means that versatile and adaptive teams can deal with adversity. I don't see much flexibility in this team.

Absolutely.
Adaptability is the key, however,(rhetorical question) how do you get a bunch of 5ft something fast flair type forwards to play a more in you face grinding game when called for?
I would also say that desire and heart (emotion as Skalde calls it) are not only essential but also a basic minimum requirement for Devils fans.
Just to add a little pathos, Wales is a small country that punches well above its weight in sporting terms because when our National teams pull on that Red sweater something happens inside to the players and fans alike. Pride, Passion ,….Hwyl!!
Sadly, and small handful of players apart this is nowhere to be seen when things are going against us!

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

As you say, fundamental issues were there the CHL simply shines a more intense light on them because mistakes are punished more consistently. Loose and no look passes are never going to be a good thing though. Neither is a lack of positional awareness and missing assignments.

It's also worth pointing out the role that familiarity plays in our league. When you play each other multiple times your opponents will learn your weaknesses. That means that versatile and adaptive teams can deal with adversity. I don't see much flexibility in this team.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Other teams have learnt our style and adapted their gameplay accordingly. Loose passing and being caught out of position has just made things a lot easier for them.

Earnie

HWJ- Does that imply that we are the only team not learning the style of other teams?
It appears that seems to be the case by our results.

kingmo19.1

Fair do’s to the lad for descending those stairs in 0.00034 seconds! At least he provided a bit of entertainment unlike the shower we appear to be doomed to live with this season!

For clarity, happy to lose every single game as long as each player and the coach gives 100% effort. Don’t think we’re seeing that at the moment though.

With our record of refusing to gas a player,
I think that provides a too cushy environment for maybe those players with a mentality relating to however they perform their getting paid for the full season - regardless!

Double edged sword - yes, can shine the club in a good light blah blah and reward loyalty, but also offers up the opportunity for mediocrity to creep in. I don’t think our reputation would suffer too much if we released a player now and again. Recruitment can’t be spot on 100% of the time all the time!

Club also needs to balance the image it wants to portray v happiness of the fans who pay good money to watch the team week in week out!

Last edited:
I can't believe some of the shit I'm reading on here, people saying mcnally got a match penalty ? Did he ? He did throw a couple of cheap shot while the other guy was on the floor that's not right in my eyes. I cand remember the length of the ban springer got for doing the same thing to our ex NHL d man, still looking maybe he never got one, he pushed a player while leaving the ice, did that player miss a shift ? I doubt it. As for the incident with the fan mcnally did nothing wrong, he should be safe leaving the ice, when we played Coventry in the old rink and Ben Olsen gave Bateman a slap no action was taken, quite rightly so. Fans have been asking for a bit of passion from the players on here for weeks, he did slightly over step the mark but it's in his character to react to the opposition, I love his ballsy way of playing on a personal note, it's what our organisation needs imo, now ffs get off his back all of the people on here who are hypocrites, I Olson note a shed load of posters saying the didn't go to the game time and again yet seem to have more to say than fans like myself who are at every game and have been going for 30 years plus, I'd give him a contract extension right now if he wants one, he gives more than the magority of our players and leaves it all on the ice every night, I know I'm going to get slated by some snowflakes on here but quite frankly I don't give a damn.

Rhyan48

I can't believe some of the shit I'm reading on here, people saying mcnally got a match penalty ? Did he ? He did throw a couple of cheap shot while the other guy was on the floor that's not right in my eyes. I cand remember the length of the ban springer got for doing the same thing to our ex NHL d man, still looking maybe he never got one, he pushed a player while leaving the ice, did that player miss a shift ? I doubt it. As for the incident with the fan mcnally did nothing wrong, he should be safe leaving the ice, when we played Coventry in the old rink and Ben Olsen gave Bateman a slap no action was taken, quite rightly so. Fans have been asking for a bit of passion from the players on here for weeks, he did slightly over step the mark but it's in his character to react to the opposition, I love his ballsy way of playing on a personal note, it's what our organisation needs imo, now ffs get off his back all of the people on here who are hypocrites, I Olson note a shed load of posters saying the didn't go to the game time and again yet seem to have more to say than fans like myself who are at every game and have been going for 30 years plus, I'd give him a contract extension right now if he wants one, he gives more than the magority of our players and leaves it all on the ice every night, I know I'm going to get slated by some snowflakes on here but quite frankly I don't give a damn.
Couldn’t agree with you more

I think the issue mcnally will have is when he was punching the guy on the floor he caught the ref a couple of times. Not full on and it wasn't intentional but the league I think will come down on that

Wannabe2

With you 100% Travis, passion seems to be in short supply big time in this team, McNally is a fans favourite because of his passion, fans chant his name because of his passion, just like Faryna, most of the other lot should try taking a leaf out of his book. Most fans would be okay losing a game if they watched passion by the bucketload, and not giving the fans the impression they would prefer to be elsewhere. Give me 4/5 McNallys every day of the week.