steelers Vs Devils - CC Semi - 23rd Feb 22

Devil94

Not sure we can blame the league for this one. I'm sure it would have been arranged between the 2 clubs.
Looking at the schedules midweek seemed the only option. They could have rearranged league games on the weekend to midweek but then that inconveniences two other teams at short notice too.

moggy#9

Not sure we can blame the league for this one. I'm sure it would have been arranged between the 2 clubs.
Looking at the schedules midweek seemed the only option. They could have rearranged league games on the weekend to midweek but then that inconveniences two other teams at short notice too.
I disagree. The early challenge cup schedule was a joke. It should have a format like the old autumn cup where it's done and dusted before Xmas. It was also likely that there'd be some disruption due to covid, but it's was never allowed for. Time and time again this season the league has blown it and made itself look stupid.

Jonesy83

To me a cup final is meant to be a show piece and spectacle no matter what the sport. Not some after thought you shoe horn in on a Wednesday night.

They had no problem moving the play off weekend after it was already announced when 100s of people had booked hotels and arranged time off work etc.

The CC final hadn’t even been announced. Im not convinced the league couldn’t secured a Sunday to play this game, how much of that is down to premier sports, who knows but I guarantee there will be a few hundred less Devils fans there because of it.

Could you imagine the FA Cup (or even the Carabao Cup) taking place on a Wednesday night? No, me either.

Devil94

Everyone knew at the start of the year that whoever finished top seeds would host. It's a good date for Belfast fans as it's a public holiday the next day for them. Not ideal for us but it is what it is, Belfast want all the advantage they can get.

moggy#9

Everyone knew at the start of the year that whoever finished top seeds would host. It's a good date for Belfast fans as it's a public holiday the next day for them. Not ideal for us but it is what it is, Belfast want all the advantage they can get.
It's not just about Belfast and what home advantage they might get. This is about staging one of the league's showpiece events when less fans can get there in person and where there's likely to be a smaller TV audience. This gives the impression that the league doesn't actually plan anything, nor does it have any consideration for fans. If this decision was forced by Belfast, then it shows a complete lack of respect.

The management of the league needs a massive overhaul this summer.

Kevlar68

I don't know of any other club cup competition (I may be wrong) that is hosted by the top seeded team. This is why eihl looks so backward in their planning.

august04 2.0

At the start of the season, it was just announced that the final would be a one off game - no mention of the top seed hosting the final that I can recall. The only benefit of being the higher seed was to be given the choice to host the second leg at home in the post group games. That all changed when the Covid problems hit and they announced the shortening of the latter stages, not at the start of the season. Too many meaningless games early doors, no thought or anticipation that Covid might cause a problem - it was very shortsighted by the EIHL.

Last edited: