Storm Vs Devils - 11 Jan 20 - League

E.D.S.

Been saying it for weeks Get a bloody forward who can score because linglet and benti are taking the piss out of us! They have had a free pass all year and scored 3 goals in combined 60 games!!!

Ow the hell are they still here
Just got back from the game.... got to agree here. Result is good but don’t let that fool you about the performance. Yes, it’s a tough road game and any points away from home are welcome but then performances still aren’t there. Too many top line players aren’t doing it. If we carrying on with what we’ve got we’ll get what we’ve been getting so far this season. Something needs to change. Still reluctant to call players out but we know and I think they know who they are. Does Lord though? What’s not clicking? This does not look like a trophy winning team. Wonder what the owners think - not asking for a response on here, it wouldn’t be right - but when they're in their owner/management meeting I wonder how they view things.

Diablo3

Just got back from the game.... got to agree here. Result is good but don’t let that fool you about the performance. Yes, it’s a tough road game and any points away from home are welcome but then performances still aren’t there. Too many top line players aren’t doing it. If we carrying on with what we’ve got we’ll get what we’ve been getting so far this season. Something needs to change. Still reluctant to call players out but we know and I think they know who they are. Does Lord though? What’s not clicking? This does not look like a trophy winning team. Wonder what the owners think - not asking for a response on here, it wouldn’t be right - but when they're in their owner/management meeting I wonder how they view things.
The owners and Lord aren't daft, they know we are not getting the return we should be from some of the forwards. we are still scoring a ton of goals though because the rest of the team are chipping in, which is not altogether a bad thing. Just imagine what we could be like when all of them are on song....

Mooney#16

The team are in a position they can legitimately go top of the league by 5 and 6 points respectively over Steelers and Giants. This season is no where near off the tracks as some are insinuating and I don’t see why a team in that position you’d change a thing. Yes there are players whose form hasn’t come good yet but the point is how you get them firing. But jeez some people’s version of support is flawed and I just feel compelled to respond to level the opinion playing field as people’s negativity seems to build momentum amongst other like minded folk. If you get behind the team something great might happen. Relentlessly attack them and individuals and you’ll get exactly what you are fearing.

E.D.S.

I don’t think the team are being relentlessly attacked. The performances concern me. Diablo3 makes a fair point. One that isn’t lost on me. The league position is decent at the moment but I guess what me and some others are saying is that big line players aren’t performing and what needs to happen to turn that around? There doesn’t seem to be much evidence of that being turned around so the question is...how long can that be sustained? They are fair points to raise. Look at the title winning team of recent years and look at where our top line players featured in the points charts. It would take one hell of a team effort to win silverware this year without those top line players firing. That looks like what we’ll have to do this year. Can it be done?
If someone wants to come on here and berate the team then that’s their prerogative. For all we know they could be one of the crazy block 13 crew who don’t stop singing all game to try and push the lads on, it doesn’t change the support they may show the team. This is a forum. It’s for people to share whatever they want (within reason) about their own team.

E.D.S.

What should be stated to “level” the playing field is that this forum is no where near a statistically relevant sample of the masses that turn up. So to get concerned about levelling things up is, for me a waste of time. The only momentum being built is with a tiny proportion of people who post on here. There’s probably circa 2800 other people who either don’t come on here, don’t agree or don’t care what others think and still turn up week in week out to cheer on the boys so a bit of context about negativity and any momentum is needed.

Mazzoak

Steve tweeted it was a solid away win. Just watched highlights from the Flames/ Oilers, who said physicality left the NHL.

What we’ve got is this mentality, it is what it is. We will likely finish the season with this team. The reasons will be given in the off season and we will reset again. Then we will end up repeating, again, only this time fans will stop attending, then we’ll get a reaction.

Devilsatw

We are paying linglet and benti top end money to GET POINT/SCORE GOALS.
They are not doing it and haven't been doing it all season.
How can anyone defend our top 2 forwards scoring 3 goals is beyond me.

Any other team they would have been fired by now.

Look at dundee they lose a few players and get Matt Carter who has more goals than benti and linglet in 11 games lol

elgin pearce has played for giants a handful of times and scored more than them Aswell.

Defend them all you want I will not.

Ocko

Has anyone thought about why certain players don’t appear at their best?

Take Linglet for example; phenomenal season last year but appears nowhere near this year. What has changed? Well quite a bit - his line mates. This year he is with Joey Haddad rather than Hedden, which technically should be a good thing for Linglet as Hedden wasn’t great but he was the main puck possession guy on that line. This year he isn’t - Joey Haddad is, who is having his best ever season for us. They both can’t have the puck all the time, I just don’t think it’s good for Linglet playing with Joey. But, it is probably good for the team.

We shouldn’t scrutinise individual players too much if the team is getting it done. Now we are playing 4 lines and the game is more technical than it was a few years ago, we have no idea what players are being told to do or roles to play. Years ago it was easy, first line were all scoring threats, second a mixture of physicality and secondary scoring, third a checking line. We now have one checking line and three other lines who’s role both as a line and individually changes depending on the opposition.

Mooney#16

Afraid I do challenge your collective opinions. They’re toxic. You only have to look at the opinions in wins v loses. A win gains little response and support and this one is even still negative. A loss and we’re streets behind teams that we are beating or set to over take. That view point is hard to defend also as it’s illogical. Using stats to attack players contribution but discounting those of the league table is highly selective to suit a mindset. It’s a team game and these players are playing on a team that is in the dominant position in the league. They are contributing. Do they wish they were contributing more I dare say yes. But have some self awareness of the atmosphere your opinions build around the team. You question what Lordo is doing with these guys. Sticking by them, showing them loyalty, letting them play into form allowing them to be a part of this team. Those things tend to reap you a reward in the end. Ask Thommo where his hire em / fire em throw the players under the bus management has got him. Relentlessly unemployed himself so something doesn’t add up.
I don’t for one second think I’ll influence your opinion but I would say that voicing it does build atmosphere that can infect the team morale. If even in the darkest form players are supported to reach potential that can go so much further than discounting what they have done for the team this year (assists). You’re not divinely seeing something others aren’t. It’s obvious to see but it’s a conscious decision how you shape your opinion and how you voice it.

Kevin roog

I thought it was an entertaining game,good atmosphere,linglet had a decent game and benti put a shift in but we could do with some goals off them,how many missed chances did we have,mr Spengler cup missed 3 sitters including a breakaway,exactly like the Manchester Away game in November

Slartibartfast

We are paying linglet and benti top end money to GET POINT/SCORE GOALS.
They are not doing it and haven't been doing it all season.
How can anyone defend our top 2 forwards scoring 3 goals is beyond me.

Any other team they would have been fired by now.

Look at dundee they lose a few players and get Matt Carter who has more goals than benti and linglet in 11 games lol

elgin pearce has played for giants a handful of times and scored more than them Aswell.

Defend them all you want I will not.
Wow you really will not be happy until you have your pound of flesh. Thankfully Lord does not listen to this forum. Have a look at some of the comments last year criticising Lord for not having the balls to sack someone. We went on to almost win the league and win the playoffs.
Lets pretend that Lord did sack those slated on this forum in the past. We would now be without Myers,Pope, Reddick, Batch and even Joey Haddad who some suggested should have retired last season. (Thats the same Joey Haddad who has scored 19 goals this year)

I don't disagree that some players are not playing well. I fully understand why they are being criticised but sacking everyone who is struggling is not the answer and maybe Lord knows why they are struggling and knows its temporary.(its not unusual for multiple players to be carrying injuries. The most injured sits out)

BostonBart22

Thought the devils were gonna romp it after the first period ..were far superior..but held on to a deserved win in the end...what I found astounding was no goal judges at the game are storm still living in caves up there. Apparently not had any all season ...

ASHIPP

I watched the match on storm tv and as I said I was happy with the effort and it was a hard fought win. My concern is when I go through our roster and list the players that aren’t playing well or aren’t at their best.
Bowns
Fournier
Richie
Linglet
Benti
Riley
Marjamaki (although he has improved)
Martin (injured but has struggled by his lofty standards)

That’s just too many players for me in mid January. By this time of the season you’re hoping that pretty much your whole roster is firing.
Whilst there is definitely a reason to debate the performance/lack of performance of certain players, think the criticism of some on the list is a bit harsh.

Fournier - playing a different role this season to last. He also has McMonagle contributing well as an offensive defence man. Gleason had a career year last year. Difficult to repeat.

Richardson - has played solidly and reliably all year as always. Recently he has had a couple of stellar games, our best defence man in those games.

Riley - absent through injury early on and away for Spengler. He has had a variety of different line mates. Before Spengler he was starting to show why we admire his qualities.

The Team is finding ways to grind out wins with scoring distributed throughout the lines and with a huge contribution from our fantastic British players.

However, there is no doubt about speed and positioning issues. Think most fans are expecting player changes in the off-season.