Support for Kiev

Thread starter #1
I am surprised that the Club/supporters havent expressed their support for Ukraine and in particular the residents of Kiev.

The Devils played Sokol Kiev twice in the Continental Cup during the 1990s I suppose the first meeting in Riga, Latvia in Oct 1993 is best forgotten as the Devils were demolished 9-1.

As ever the Devils learnt from their mistakes and the following year at Tilburg the Devils gained revenge with a 6-2 victory of the former USSR league team.

All; this with 11 Welsh born players and a thirteen year old in net (Stevie Lyle).

A game that ranks as high for me as the Wembley Championship Final in 1990

OJ

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

Can’t speak for the club, but my support for Ukraine is more personal than posting it on a hockey forum!

But been as you ask, there are many charities that individuals can contribute to - I have already.

What are you doing about it Nott ? Any suggestions on what might be useful ?

Pembo

Blaze logo on social media looks like has been changed to Ukraine colours which seems a nice gesture. I’m never too sure how far sports teams should go into wars like this. With saturation coverage in the media already, sometimes sport is an escape from the stresses of the outside world. I think people want to show solidarity with the Ukrainians as it seems a pretty clear cut case of the current situation being hugely damaging and avoidable with significant cost in lives and resources due to the actions of an autocrat with an itchy trigger finger. Finding the balance is a bit tricky, I know one of my kids in particular has been hugely preoccupied with the war and worries about the future especially on the back of COVID. The ice hockey has been a really handy distraction from this at times & a safe space.

For fund raising I wonder if fans could donate a spare game worn jersey to organise either a Raffall or auction with proceeds to humanitarian orgs? Don’t know how we would organise this?

Kevlar68

This isn't a dig at Ukraine, I'm all for helping them but heard on radio the welsh gov are giving £4 million to help out..... How can they find this money at a drop of a hat but were slow when our own country struggled through covid?

Last edited: