The End of the Edinburgh Capitals

terry hunt

I thought i read an article before end of season about the Caps.
If i recall Scott Neil was shown with a groups of smiling guys who were forming a new partnership to run the tea.
It all seemed positive but we have heard this in the past of course.
The article is on the EIHL website on March 21st

Last edited:

august04

I really don’t get this love in on social media for the Caps. They’ve brought this league down for years and I was hoping they’d be replaced next year anyway before the announcement of their new dawn a few weeks back. Could it possibly be any worse for fans who’ve been unfortunate enough to watch them implode by Christmas virtually every year? I hope the Racers are accepted and someone other than Scott Neil gives it a real go up there and brings some pride back to ice hockey in Murrayfield. It’s long overdue. If they fail, well they’ll only be repeating what the Caps did almost every year.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #23
I think its more about showing support for the Caps fans than lavishing love on the Caps themselves. They've been a shitshow of a club for years but we've come close ourselves as have a number of other clubs fans. It's not nice.

terry hunt

I agree with those sentiments.Scott Neil has made numerous promises of a new dawn at the Caps and not delivered.
I just hope that those loyal fans dont go through our experience with dodgy ownerships.
It aint easy for loyal people to let go unfortunately.

Have Hope#35

The biggest problem is that they don't feel like it's a New Ownership... They feel like it's a New Team and some of the fans believe it's a case of changing allegiance which I understand! They see themselves as Edinburgh Capitals fans, not Murrayfield Racers fans - I'd be interested to know how they'd feel if the Racers bid had been done under the name 'Edinburgh Racers' rather than 'Murrayfield Racers' as to me that feels just a bit more respectful in terms of the brand - It's also more akin to what Hull and Newcastle have done in the past? It's all a bit messy, lets hope it gets sorted over the Summer as it's the fans who ultimately suffer.

Temme

Fun fact, every year bar one in the last 5 years Edinburgh have been stone last (the year they didn't finish last they were last but one...)

Their points totals in these last place finishes have been: 27, 25, 35, 11.

Since 2010 (i couldn't be bothered to go back any further) they've played 424 league games, and conceded 2153 goals (over 5 per game average)

I don't understand the off-ice picture, i gather it's bleak with 700-800 at the gate each game; but on-ice this is not something that appears sustainable.

I understand the sentiment and the fans supporting their club, but if i'm being honest and throwing the cat among the proverbial pigeons -

They have no place in this league under the current model. Losing their bid for ice time vs a 'rival' team in the same rink is the best thing that could have happened.

Edinburgh have been given pleeeeeeenty of opportunity to improve and not be a total embarrassment yet every year they make a mess of it.

I, for one, welcome the change, should it come to fruition.
Hopefully it'll be a more competitive outfit and not make me feel like i'm wasting my season ticket the days that the caps come to Cardiff!!!

pjj365

No one has said Racers will play as Murryfield Racers - that is the name of the company that bought the ice time

So assuming the organization is accepted to EIHL they could buy the Caps name (doubt they'd want a tainted brand though) but they could ice as Edinburgh Racers which would recognise the city and give a nod to history

Apologies if I'm missing the obvious but do the original Murrayfield fans boycott the Caps. Of course results will mean that people will stop going but did the Caps ever get the crowds which Murrayfield did? If not why not? Why is there this feeling that Murrayfield fans will return en masse when they didn't before. In the BBT crowds were down compared to the WNIR and I know there are fans who never returned after the boycott year.

Finny

The problem with ice hockey in Edinburgh is that it's never actually been THAT well attended.

Even in the Glory days of Tony Hand etc they only averaged around 1000 fans a game. Yes they got big crowds for the big games (esp against Fife) but they didn't have the loyal fanbase of Cardiff, Durham, Fife or Nottingham.
What they did have though was huge sponsorship from Smirnoff. Back then you only needed to pay 3-5 imports and a couple of Brits.

Once the import limit started to increase they ran into problems. I can't remember if the Smirnoff sponsorship ended or whether it simply didn't stretch far enough to cover more and more imports - but they ran out of me.
If my memory serves me correct they went bust and then came back the following season as the Edinburgh Racers. That was for the final Premier Division season and when that folded so did the Racers. A new team came back the following season in one of the lower division (Murrayfield Royals) and that team eventually stepped up to the BNL as the Edinburgh Capitals. I think.

Finny

Rumours before the end of the season that Hull Pirates (I think that's their current name?) were interested in coming back to the EIHL - although it might be too early for that?
Not really sure they'd fit in the Scottish/Northern conference though - or that it would be fair on them.

august04

How can the Caps return? They have no ice. The EIHL had better hurry up and decide what they’re doing. If no 12th team, they should just scrap the conferences and have a straight 11 team league for this season. If 12 and a new team in Hull, will they fare any better than the Caps, with their limited capacity? All a bit of a mess really, considering the superb publicity for the sport in the UK gained by the national team this past few days. Back to the usual shambles of British ice hockey!

Will be Hull Pirates I imagine. They have been contacted regarding the vacancy. It's up to them now, the offer is there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gospel

If Hull are let in, this seems likely if they take up the offer, how will that impact the conferences?

Hull isnt exactly in Scotland so would they take the Caps place? Maybe a rejig & put a ‘big’ team in each conference? Who would that benefit?