The future of the Elite League and its teams

august04

Exactly right, August04. The thing is though that I don't think that governments will have a choice by then. It'll be cheaper to provide testing, masks and therapeutic drugs than it is to keep paying people not to work and funding companies to stay in business. Pretty easy decision to make in my mind...but that doesn't mean that governments make good decisions!!!
It’s a great idea and perfect to get some countries up and running and out of this mess. But if we consider the U.K. and football alone, it would need weekly (?) testing of some hundreds of thousands of fans without symptoms, to try to get this health passport and allow attendance at matches (assuming no difference between outdoor and indoor events, but some football stadia are akin to indoor arenas now). Plus spectators of other sports. Knowing the limitations of our health service, I just can’t see it being feasible. Would love to be proved wrong though.

Last edited:

august04

That’s a sensible decision.....let’s just hope we can get started then. I wonder if the CHL will be announcing a further delay?

Last edited:

Kevlar68

Magic weekend 3 weeks before Christmas, that's unfortunate timing. Will many be able to afford it at that time of year? A weekender ain't cheap for one person let alone a couple or families.

Rob Batch

Has anyone bothered to read the 'Cochrane' report ? Serology tests are extremely unreliable according to the data, which puts us in an even worse position. New knowledge says other vital organs can be attacked by the virus which is also unacknowledged by our government. Clownage !! Source BMJ.

Last edited:

august04

Has anyone bothered to read the 'Cochrane' report ? Serology tests are extremely unreliable according to the data, which puts us in an even worse position. New knowledge says other vital organs can be attacked by the virus which is also unacknowledged by our government. Clownage !! Source BMJ.
It’s hardly new knowledge that it attacks other vital organs. People with severe Covid-19 have been hit with kidney failure, liver failure, heart damage etc., as well as lung damage and respiratory problems. And the government must have acknowledged this as they’ve just set up the Covid 19 Recovery Service, to treat patients who will need long term rehabilitation. I don’t know the efficacy of blood tests but the NHS mainly use swab tests to determine whether you currently have the virus. There must be some accuracy in the blood test though as countries are using them, particularly for antibody testing.

Last edited:

matbur

Thread starter #309
It's all very worrying and quite depressing, especially when you take into context seasonal spike in autumn/winter. It's going to be chaos with people having flu/colds requiring testing just in case.

Anyone, who genuinely believes we'll be sitting in an 3,000 indoor arena, side by side, in cool temperature conditions, for a league which straddles four governments and public health boards, anytime in the next year or so is nuts, frankly.

Love and admire the determination, perseverance and optimism, but let's be realistic about this.

Screenshot this and if we're at a hockey game this year, I'll gladly buy you a beer or a tea.

Samael

I'd rather the 20/21 season not happen at all than half a season that is plagued with risk and low attendance as people are nervous due to a lack of a confirmed vaccine. I understand why the Eihl have decided to make a statement about the possibility of a late start, you only have to look at the developments in Bracknell and possibly Braehead to see why.

Personally though l don't see a shortened season being feasible and the risks when there is no cure outweigh the benefits of securing the financial future of some clubs and facilities. Worrying and depressing indeed.

pjj365

It is also possible that, given the caution the FM is showing, a season with no games in Wales (that would be Deeside and us ) is not beyond imagination

NathanG

I follow a professor on Twitter by the name of Karol Sikora, he posts the daily fatality rate and infection rate. He puts things into perspective. He's quite positive and a breath of fresh air when all we get from the media is doom and gloom.

The second wave fanatics hate him too as his posts wind them up.

kingmo19.1

Hats off to all the scientists frantically working on a vaccine. With the technology we have today there is a good chance of success. I’d hate to think what would have happened had this occurred 20-30 years ago.

Last edited:

Rempel16

I'd rather the 20/21 season not happen at all than half a season that is plagued with risk and low attendance as people are nervous due to a lack of a confirmed vaccine. I understand why the Eihl have decided to make a statement about the possibility of a late start, you only have to look at the developments in Bracknell and possibly Braehead to see why.

Personally though l don't see a shortened season being feasible and the risks when there is no cure outweigh the benefits of securing the financial future of some clubs and facilities. Worrying and depressing indeed.
If this happens I think it's the end of hockey in this country. I can't see many (if any) teams surviving being mothballed for a year.

Devil94

I follow a professor on Twitter by the name of Karol Sikora, he posts the daily fatality rate and infection rate. He puts things into perspective. He's quite positive and a breath of fresh air when all we get from the media is doom and gloom.

He did also say in May that by August things will be virtually back to normal.

Being positive is fine, but giving people unrealistic hope is dangerous.

NathanG

He did also say in May that by August things will be virtually back to normal.

Being positive is fine, but giving people unrealistic hope is dangerous.
See attached.

Attachments