The future of the Elite League and its teams

Wannabe2

If I was a gambling man my money would be on no season, we could push the season back to the first week in Nov, giving us roughly 5 months, there’s no money from tv, and not a lot from webcasts, so it’s bums on seats or nothing. Now 5 months can be a long time, or a short time with this virus nobody nows, and that includes our mate Nostradamus, or Nostra to his mates. Only time will tell, in the meantime stay safe, or if your English stay alert.

kingmo19.1

If I was a gambling man my money would be on no season, we could push the season back to the first week in Nov, giving us roughly 5 months, there’s no money from tv, and not a lot from webcasts, so it’s bums on seats or nothing. Now 5 months can be a long time, or a short time with this virus nobody nows, and that includes our mate Nostradamus, or Nostra to his mates. Only time will tell, in the meantime stay safe, or if your English stay alert.
I’d better start using his full name then :)

Diafol

If you believe the interview in today's i newspaper, it would seem that the First Minister has just ended next season for the Devils with one sentence:

"The first minister said he did not anticipate crowds being allowed to sporting events or concerts this year.
“They are right at the very end of this spectrum, a long way off,” he said."

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/wales-shut-tourists-summer-first-minister-mark-drakeford-434873

Mind you we played half a season on the road before the BBT opened, so who knows ?

It doesn't sound promising though...

BostonBart22

What annoys me is that even accounting for political incompetence, this is being prolonged the morons who have been incapable of following lockdown instructions.
plus a guaranteed spike or new wave of virus after english beaches packed last week and all the demos up and down the country last 2 days, the poor NHS staff who battled so hard last 3 months to see it all thrown away, fingers crossed it may not happen imho I think it will...

moggy#9

plus a guaranteed spike or new wave of virus after english beaches packed last week and all the demos up and down the country last 2 days, the poor NHS staff who battled so hard last 3 months to see it all thrown away, fingers crossed it may not happen imho I think it will...
You're right. I am utterly dismayed at the hard work being undone because of the morons who put their personal gratification ahead of the greater good. This is why we can't have nice things.

Gospel

Having read the interview regarding the Clans possible new coach i think that pretty much sums up the position for every team. During the daily briefing on the TV on Friday (the Welsh one not the Matt Hancock show) it was said then that they didnt expect any events with crowds to take place this year. If they are saying that now, could/would they change it in the next few weeks? I cant see it.

Any contracts sent out to players will no doubt have to have a caveat included that if the season cant start etc etc so the players wont get paid.

The smaller teams are really going to struggle with this and could be the end for them.

Im pretty sure its been said already that ice hockey in the UK wouldnt be viable without paying fans so id say the season is pretty much over before it even starts.

moggy#9

Having read the interview regarding the Clans possible new coach i think that pretty much sums up the position for every team. During the daily briefing on the TV on Friday (the Welsh one not the Matt Hancock show) it was said then that they didnt expect any events with crowds to take place this year. If they are saying that now, could/would they change it in the next few weeks? I cant see it.

Any contracts sent out to players will no doubt have to have a caveat included that if the season cant start etc etc so the players wont get paid.

The smaller teams are really going to struggle with this and could be the end for them.

Im pretty sure its been said already that ice hockey in the UK wouldnt be viable without paying fans so id say the season is pretty much over before it even starts.
This situation could easily set UK hockey back by a considerable way. If not to the 80s, certainly to the pre-ISL 90s.

kingmo19.1

This situation could easily set UK hockey back by a considerable way. If not to the 80s, certainly to the pre-ISL 90s.
Spot on - I’ve said a few times, no crowds and we’re looking at 4-5 imports per team supplemented by brits with teams grabbing any revenue they can via streaming the games. So in essence that product is basically NIHL with a slight import expansion!

tim78

I can't see any sport doing any better than vastly reducing the attendance numbers and providing an online service IF the government demand such action.

Though it'll be a knock back there would be benefits in allowing a higher number of Brits to step up for a short period.

But, I am just looking forward to having some form devils of hockey to watch.

kingmo19.1

I can't see any sport doing any better than vastly reducing the attendance numbers and providing an online service IF the government demand such action.

Though it'll be a knock back there would be benefits in allowing a higher number of Brits to step up for a short period.

But, I am just looking forward to having some form devils of hockey to watch.
I think the problem is, stepping-up is hardly be a step up from the NIHL. If your settled for example in Swindon or Basingstoke then it’s hardly worth leaving that to play for an EIHL team for what could be only a single season.

pjj365

If this is true it may a leauge without the DevilsWales will remain largely shut to tourists this summer, warns First Minister in an interview with inews, stating that only ‘Self-Catering’ accommodation will be opened, to adhere to social distancing. Marks Drakeford also stated that mass gatherings, such as sports events and theatre trips, won’t resume until 2021. Will the economy ever recover?

CAUTION
This is from FaceBook and one of the comments states that Drakeford, in a subsequent radio interview, claims to have been misquoted. This may be true but to be misquoted there must be some basis in fact - if not it would have been called out as inaccurate or an invention or simply denied outright. Nevertheless, the "incident" seems to indicate a direction of thought .

Let's hope it is a fabrication/exageration by the press

SteveKing

The one thing I would say about all of this situation is that I think it is folly for anybody right now to make decisions or statements about how things will play out in the fall - whether that's a politician or otherwise. The fact of the matter is that nobody knows how this plays out. The timing of therapeutic drugs and eventually vaccines is unknown. The existence or absence of a second wave is totally unknown. The impact of large gatherings (like what almost every large city in the world has had over the last ten days) will also play a big role. If a very useful drug comes out in the fall like what is being estimated and the impact of huge public gatherings is limited after this week and if other countries have opened up with good success, would any government keep their country closed at the risk of economic ruin? On the flip side, if those things don't go according to plan, then there will be little choice but to not play because as people have rightly pointed out, there is no season without fans in the seats.

For right now, we just don't know. So let's keep an open mind and pray for the best because I for one can't stand the thought of not having Devils hockey.

Wannabe2

Spot on Steve we live in hope, the future is certainly the unknown and only time will tell, Safety is paramount that is obvious, I also couldn’t stand the thought of not having Devils hockey. Keeping fingers and toes crossed. In the meantime stay safe and let’s all hope together.

kingmo19.1

God help us with Drakeford (The man with as much charisma as a blancmange) in charge. Both he and Sturgeon will constantly take the more cautious approach than Westminster - because they can and it provides them the self satisfaction of being in a (token) position of power! Should have always been a standard uniform U.K. position on lifting the lockdown.

kingmo19.1

If you want to place hockey before lives then go with Boris. For me the cautious approach of the Welsh and Scottish Governments is envied by many in England. If you dont agree look at some of the poll results
What I'm saying is a uniform (and agreed) UK as a whole approach would have been better and far less confusing (regardless of Ice Hockey). Sadly, large numbers seem to be completely ignoring the 'rules' anyway - seen in both England and Wales.