The future of the Elite League and its teams

The_Puck

We can’t live in a bubble until a vaccine is found. That could take years and the economy would be destroyed. The government’s job was to keep the peak as low as possible whilst not destroying the NHS, which they did successfully. Now they’re slowly opening society as we know it whilst keeping numbers low. It’s currently June, the season is meant to start in 4 months time. A lot can change in that time. We should be allowed back into stadiums, even if it’s half the attendance/season ticket holders only. Of course there is a risk with doing this, however there is a risk in everyday life. You’re risking your life when driving a car, you’re risking your life when skiiing for example. No one is 100% safe when doing anything. So why keep things shut and not allow people to go to things which will destroy the only bit of economy left in the UK just because of a virus that has a 6% fatality rate? I think by October, we should be allowed to go to games as long as:
1) wear masks at all times
2) have temperature checks when entering arena
3) wash hands when entering arena
4) small kids won’t be allowed in as they are the most unhygienic (always put fingers in their mouths/won’t keep masks on for 2 hours +
5) OAPs may not be allowed in as they are in the most risk category
6) season ticket holders only (I know there are members on here that aren’t season tickets holders, however I know we have over 50% of our seats are taken by them so keeping it season tickets only makes it more sensible
7) no away fans (controversial, however this reduces the chance of the virus spreading across the UK if there is a chance the virus is in the arena.
I know there will be some people saying “you can’t do this for x reason and you can’t do that for x reason” however let’s remember we are in unprecedented times and nothing should be ruled out. I remember seeing an article the other day from the metro saying that Boris wants to remove the 2m distancing rule soon to get more people back to jobs and keep economy running.

Last edited:

Rhyan48

We can’t live in a bubble until a vaccine is found. That could take years and the economy would be destroyed. The government’s job was to keep the peak as low as possible whilst not destroying the NHS, which they did successfully. Now they’re slowly opening society as we know it whilst keeping numbers low. It’s currently June, the season is meant to start in 4 months time. A lot can change in that time. We should be allowed back into stadiums, even if it’s half the attendance/season ticket holders only. Of course there is a risk with doing this, however there is a risk in everyday life. You’re risking your life when driving a car, you’re risking your life when skiiing for example. No one is 100% safe when doing anything. So why keep things shut and not allow people to go to things which will destroy the only bit of economy left in the UK just because of a virus that has a 6% fatality rate? I think by October, we should be allowed to go to games as long as:
1) wear masks at all times
2) have temperature checks when entering arena
3) wash hands when entering arena
4) small kids won’t be allowed in as they are the most unhygienic (always put fingers in their mouths/won’t keep masks on for 2 hours +
5) OAPs may not be allowed in as they are in the most risk category
6) season ticket holders only (I know there are members on here that aren’t season tickets holders, however I know we have over 50% of our seats are taken by them so keeping it season tickets only makes it more sensible
7) no away fans (controversial, however this reduces the chance of the virus spreading across the UK if there is a chance the virus is in the arena.
I know there will be some people saying “you can’t do this for x reason and you can’t do that for x reason” however let’s remember we are in unprecedented times and nothing should be ruled out. I remember seeing an article the other day from the metro saying that Boris wants to remove the 2m distancing rule soon to get more people back to jobs and keep economy running.
You have written the exact thing I have been thinking about the situation if they do not get things back to as normal much as possible then the country will be in a even bigger mess ! Yes there will be different to our normal ,normal , they have no chance to let things happen

Wannabe2

Now I want the season to start as much as anyone, but it’s fine saying season tickets only, but you have to have a team to play against, unless we are back to normality then you can say goodbye to Storm, Flyers, Stars, with a big doubt for Blaze also. Clan and Panthers haven’t even put tickets on sale so far, when your paying £12/14000 per game for ice time, along with Stewart’s etc then big Arenas are going to struggle. As for letting in 1,500 people in our gaff, taking all their temperatures, waiting for them all to wash their hands, you would have to arrive hrs before face off, then you won’t have the distancing between people, it would take ages to go to the toilet, people sat in front of you, and behind you it would be a bloody nightmare. For me it’s either we go back as normal, or we don’t go back at all due to the fact it has to work for everyone. And as for not letting children in, there are loads of kid season ticket holders who have paid, how do you say your not allowed in pal, your folks are but your not that ain’t feasible one bit.

august04

42 new cases in Wales yesterday I think, population 3 million. At some point, we have to increase the risks we take and try to get some sort of normality back. Otherwise, there’ll be nothing left in Wales worth doing anyway - unless you’re lucky enough to live within 5 miles of a beach or the mountains.

Wannabe2

But that’s probably due to many people staying indoors or being sensible, let the stampede begin and those figures will shoot up, it’s bloody frustrating and horrible after all this time but we still have a way to go surely.

moggy#9

To be honest, even if the season does start in the autumn, I can see it being suspended part way through as we hit another peak. Let's not forget that part of the reason for the lock lockdown was to ensure that the NHS could cope. As soon as we hit the winter flu season the NHS will be under stress even without covid19. As for people washing their hands and the rest of it, some people don't wash their hands after using the toilet, so what are the chances of them doing it in response to this?

pjj365

Now I want the season to start as much as anyone, but it’s fine saying season tickets only, but you have to have a team to play against, unless we are back to normality then you can say goodbye to Storm, Flyers, Stars, with a big doubt for Blaze also. Clan and Panthers haven’t even put tickets on sale so far, when your paying £12/14000 per game for ice time, along with Stewart’s etc then big Arenas are going to struggle. As for letting in 1,500 people in our gaff, taking all their temperatures, waiting for them all to wash their hands, you would have to arrive hrs before face off, then you won’t have the distancing between people, it would take ages to go to the toilet, people sat in front of you, and behind you it would be a bloody nightmare. For me it’s either we go back as normal, or we don’t go back at all due to the fact it has to work for everyone. And as for not letting children in, there are loads of kid season ticket holders who have paid, how do you say your not allowed in pal, your folks are but your not that ain’t feasible one bit.
Lots of OAP season ticket holders as well.
Interesting to suggest prohibiting children who have limited susceptibility to the virus and are not proven spreaders. Then to restrict OAPs - not because they are spreaders but because they are susceptible to the virus and need protecting.
The alternative is to prohibit those who are most likely to spread the virus. Thus kids can attend and, because they are not spreaders, OAPs can attend along with them - job done!
So, yes I'm with you - all or nothing

kingmo19.1

If the season doesn’t go ahead then we should be awarded the title for being more enthusiastic and eager than the other teams in signing out first 3 imports.

I’m sure claretgiant would agree !

The_Puck

No you missed the point i was making. It wouldn't take hours to get in because there's no social distancing by then. All the doors that are open after the games can also be open to let people in, not just the main arena entrance through reception. All there needs to be is a simple hand wash that the stewards give you when entering, so you can wash your hands. Teams won't struggle with financing if they reduce their budget. Yes we may have to reduce our budget to be sustainable, but so does the rest of the teams. The season NEEDS to go ahead next season for the sustainability of the league. A cancelled season won't do the likes of Manchester, Fife, Dundee any good as they and their arenas won't have any income and i can see them dropping out. And as for not allowing in children, i know it's controversial and i know people won't like it but remember we are in unprecedented times here. It's all well and good telling them to keep a mask on for the entire game, however, we see loads of parents failing to control their kids when they run around knocking into people and playing hockey will a rubber puck and a stick, so how are they meant to control them to keep a mask on. And it has been proven that kids can get the virus and pass on the virus. The chance of that is very slim, however it's a possibility.

Kevlar68

@The_Puck

What planet are you coming from?

Have temp checks on entering? What if the temp isn't covid-19? Then there is cost of each hand unit for every entrance, these aren't your everyday thermometer.

Wash hands when entering, where? An outside basin maybe, a hose pipe or even natural flowing rain water. If you say in a toilet then that would take ages, it can take long enough just to have a pee.

No small kids. Small kids are seen as the future that's why the Devils Org. want the games to be family affairs and many season ticket holders are families so do they leave their kids at home?

OAP's not allowed, many have been with the Devils since 1986, that's 34 years, so how can you stop such loyal supporters?

Season ticket holders only, people buy a specific seat and want that seat each game, that's why they pay for a season ticket, how can they sit in the same seat if having to social distance?

No away fans, lets be honest, the away section is most probably the only section that would be OK with social distancing due to lack of away fans.

I think your ideas may be slightly flawed and that's without how do the fans move around the arena. Is the answer to that once in, can't move till games over.

And how do you know by the time the season starts there won't be social distancing? No one knows yet, it could be the new norm for a long time.

Nice try though ;)

kingmo19.1

I understand a 10 foot deep antiseptic dunk tank Is being installed in reception! The plan being as you enter the rink,
Todd prods you into the tank then dunks you under, Corkie then fishes you out and power-dry’s you down with the new Devils-Super-Power-Dry (TM) machine that’s occupies the space the Grazing Shed used to accommodate. You then pass through the lazer temperature monitoring corridor before entering the rink whereby you are then fitted with a ‘Devils logo’ Divers helmet with you own on-board oxygen back-pack! Latex gloves (again accompanied with the Devils logo) are then slapped on and your good to go!

You can then watch the game, surrounded by your friends and family like nothing has ever changed. No social distancing is therefore required!

Easy!

The_Puck

@The_Puck

What planet are you coming from?

Have temp checks on entering? What if the temp isn't covid-19? Then there is cost of each hand unit for every entrance, these aren't your everyday thermometer.

Wash hands when entering, where? An outside basin maybe, a hose pipe or even natural flowing rain water. If you say in a toilet then that would take ages, it can take long enough just to have a pee.

No small kids. Small kids are seen as the future that's why the Devils Org. want the games to be family affairs and many season ticket holders are families so do they leave their kids at home?

OAP's not allowed, many have been with the Devils since 1986, that's 34 years, so how can you stop such loyal supporters?

Season ticket holders only, people buy a specific seat and want that seat each game, that's why they pay for a season ticket, how can they sit in the same seat if having to social distance?

No away fans, lets be honest, the away section is most probably the only section that would be OK with social distancing due to lack of away fans.

I think your ideas may be slightly flawed and that's without how do the fans move around the arena. Is the answer to that once in, can't move till games over.

And how do you know by the time the season starts there won't be social distancing? No one knows yet, it could be the new norm for a long time.

Nice try though ;)
@Kevlar68

I see where you are coming from but you're not fully understanding what i am saying.

Firstly i am from planet Earth, which i assume is the same planet as you.

Yes temperature checks won't tell you whether you have Covid or not, however they can give an indication of it. They cost around £20 each online which isn't much at all.

When washing your hands, you don't need water when using hand sanitiser, so that would save time and people needing to go the toilets.

No small kids, yes i know it's controversial and i debated whether to mention it or not, however we are trying to resolve an issue that the world has never seen before. The kids are the future i agree, however i am not saying we keep them away forever, it just may need to be a season or until a vaccine is found.

OAP's not allowed again it controversial i'm aware, however it is statistically proven they are at most risk of dying from the virus, so i don't think it's the best idea that they come and risk their health , especially as they have more of a chance of dying than a 30 year old man for example.

Your point on season ticket holders is irrelevant if there isn't social distancing measures. Lets be real here, there is no chance we have to distance from each other until a vaccine is found, you may as well say goodbye to economy as we know it.

Just so i am clear about this before anyone mentions it again - IF SOCIAL DISTANCING IS STILL IN PLACE AND WON'T BE REMOVED, THEN THE SEASON IS DONE AND WE CAN'T GO ON.

What i'm talking about is things that could be done if social distancing is removed, which i believe it will be, and reading some things about it recently seem to back my point.

Moving around the arena won't be an issue if no social distancing, but we could use all fire exits as entrances and keep people segregated in certain areas at all times. For example, blocks 10 to 13 could be segregated to other blocks as they have a bar, they have toilets and they have an entrance and exit, just like away fans at football almost. That way it keeps people from moving across the arena.

And thanks for saying nice try, as these are suggestions. All i see on this thread are people saying "No way the league will go on" "there's no way to solve this". I'm putting things out that are feasible and could be done to get the game we all love back sooner rather than later.

tim78

how about

1. Sheep Dip trays on the front door, ie a full length of the highly chlorine pool opposite.
2. A basket of chlorinated chicken as we enter and to be consumed before the next door.
3. Forced strong alcoholic shots at the bar every period break.

august04

But that’s probably due to many people staying indoors or being sensible, let the stampede begin and those figures will shoot up, it’s bloody frustrating and horrible after all this time but we still have a way to go surely.
Well the absence of any sort of social distancing during those protests won‘t have helped and I’m bloody fuming about that after all our sacrifices this last 3 months - but lockdown has been eased significantly more than here in places like Denmark and other parts of EU, with no sign of a second wave or significant spike in infection since the measures were eased. And if we don’t see an increase in the next 2/3 weeks after all those protests then that will be telling too. Loads of different scientific opinions about the likelihood of a second wave - depends on who you choose to believe I suppose. I’m coming around to the opinion that continued excessively cautious lifting of the lockdown will cause further irreparable damage to our country and more deaths long term, than Covid has. The level of excess deaths is returning to normal, we must try to find a way too, get our hospitals starting to treat non-Covid patients with serious medical conditions again, whose treatment has been undoubtedly effected this last 3 months. If we don’t, there’ll be far more deaths over the next 2-3 years from cancer/heart disease etc than we’ve seen from Covid in Wales.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

Like everyone on here I long for the day when we can watch ice hockey at the viola again but we can't single out who can and can't go to a game just for the season to go ahead, everybody has the right to watch their team play as long as they pay the money.

matbur

Thread starter #216
@The_Puck I respect your opinion, but you are kidding yourself if you think hockey is returning anytime soon. The idea that the numbers are down so we just have to get on with it at some point is an incredibly naive outlook, sorry.

Like I say, I respect your opinion and the fact you've gone at length to explain yourself - unlike some who makes silly statements without any form of arguement, - but I think you are way off the mark here and confusing your views with wishful thinking.

CaldicotDevil

I think the only way it works is with a waiver in the ticket T&Cs. "there's a small chance you may catch Covid-19 at the Viola, by entering the Viola you're accepting responsibilities of this risk".

That way it puts it up to us if we want to take the risk and attend. Its also up to us to use procautions to prevent covid.

IMO social distancing with sports fans will never work. If it becomes too sterile & spaced out it'll kill any atmosphere.