The future of the Elite League and its teams

matbur

Thread starter #241
Only last week WG said that public gatherings at sporting events was not likely to happen until next year and that it was right at the end of the spectrum in terms of relaxing distancing measures.

It is possible that as an elite sport (pun not intended), hockey could technically be played before that, but a) it is not practical for the teams for the reasons already mentioned in this thread and b) teams would not be able to finance testing or facilitate a bio-tech environment.

The league and teams can't comment or give definitive statements because they can't get a definitive answer from the authorities, as they cannot officially make those decisions yet.

As I've said from the very beginning though - look logically at the enormity of the issues and it's not hard to come to the conclusion that there won't be hockey until 2021 at the very earliest.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if we even compete in the CHL.

Last edited:
The chances of any type of format for a 20/21 season are extremely remote and our chances of participation in the CHL are even slimmer!
The German govt have just extended their ban on large gatherings until at least the end of October.
However, even more worrying than that is that new outbreaks of Covid 19 all over Europe have been traced back to abattoirs and meat processing and packing plants. Govt scientists suspect that the cold indoor environment and temperatures enable the virus to live longer on surfaces and help promote the spread of the virus!
And we’re not necessarily talking about sub zero temperatures but temperatures as high as maybe 7deg C.
If this is true it would be catastrophic for the return of ice hockey without a vaccine.
It’s a day of bad news all around it seems!

Mazzoak

In a team you are only as strong as your weakest member.

That goes for business too, you don’t need to go on the apprentice to learn you need to have several plans in place should something go south.
Today we have watched one person switching from plan A to plan B. Great timing, North American clubs financials are in a different league, pardon the pun.

kingmo19.1

Interesting government update today confirming that Indoor Sporting Facilities can reopen in England from 25th July. No real data at the moment whether this also includes Ice Rinks, but that could be deemed an Indoor Sporting Facility in my eyes.

Will be interesting to hear what Drakeford announces next!

Leighton

Interesting government update today confirming that Indoor Sporting Facilities can reopen in England from 25th July. No real data at the moment whether this also includes Ice Rinks, but that could be deemed an Indoor Sporting Facility in my eyes.

This is my fear - england opens thanks to Boris, wales doesnt thanks to Drakeford - as has been the case more than once over the last few weeks/months. can you imagine a situation where the english govt permits facilities to re-open but the welsh govt doesnt?

BostonBart22

As long as spectators are allowed it looks good..

Leighton

taking from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working...f-grassroots-sport-and-gym-leisure-facilities

"Providers and operators of space enabling the following activities and facilities may reopen if they are ready to do so and can do so safely, following public health guidance:

· Indoor and outdoor sports courts

· Indoor and outdoor gyms

· Indoor and outdoor swimming and diving pools, including water parks

· Other indoor and outdoor sporting activities (including but not limited to sports fields, rugby, football, hockey, cricket and other pitches, skate parks, climbing facilities, trampoline parks, boxing halls, ice skating rinks, horse stables and arenas, bowling lawns, golf courses, and snowsport facilities, watersports and sporting facilities, track and field facilities)

· Hot tubs, hydrotherapy pools, whirlpools, and jacuzzis"

kingmo19.1

taking from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working...f-grassroots-sport-and-gym-leisure-facilities

"Providers and operators of space enabling the following activities and facilities may reopen if they are ready to do so and can do so safely, following public health guidance:

· Indoor and outdoor sports courts

· Indoor and outdoor gyms

· Indoor and outdoor swimming and diving pools, including water parks

· Other indoor and outdoor sporting activities (including but not limited to sports fields, rugby, football, hockey, cricket and other pitches, skate parks, climbing facilities, trampoline parks, boxing halls, ice skating rinks, horse stables and arenas, bowling lawns, golf courses, and snowsport facilities, watersports and sporting facilities, track and field facilities)

· Hot tubs, hydrotherapy pools, whirlpools, and jacuzzis"
I can’t see me voluntarily sharing a public jacuzzi or hot-tub anytime soon :) That might be a step too far !!

Wannabe2

Indoor sporting facilities is a long way from indoor sports teams, with spectators. Football with fans will be a goer way before our sport, unfortunately. We will be back for business when this lousy virus finally buggers off.

matbur

Thread starter #251
They can reopen what they like, the problem is once the virus starts to circulate again, which it almost definitely will, things will need to close again.

People think reopening is a sign that the virus has somehow 'left'.

They need to think of it as an old fashioned weighing scales, adding weights to find a balance.

By the time indoor facilities with social distancing are able to open, the threat of the virus will be high again, due to everything else being open.

There is just no way that indoor sports venues will be sustainable, even if they pull it off for a few weeks.

Samael

Until a proven vaccine is found then we have to live with things as they are. Lockdown is prevention, not a cure. Do l want the season to go ahead? Of course l do, but not if it means death rates start to shoot up again.

matbur

Thread starter #253
Well, if you wanted proof how unlikely it is that the season will go ahead, then here it is. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/53322106

Teams only intend to play season if they can host full capacity arenas - albeit possibly on a shortened-season. There is absolutely no chance of that being permitted across the UK for obvious reasons.

Social distancing is not going anywhere in our lives until there is a) an effective vaccine is distributed or b) there are significant developments in treatment. I think that's pretty obvious by now.

3,000 people tightly packed together in an indoor arena is at the high-end of the risk on the spectrum of social distancing.

I fully understand the teams' reasoning for having crowds attending as their business model determines it, but this is wishful thinking on a grand scale.

Last edited:

Diafol

That's a shame, I was hoping we could have "Elite League Champions - As Confirmed By The BBC " T shirts in the shop !

Or is that a step too far...

Mazzoak

With contact tracing it’s highly likely that all attendees will need to register, if one or more person then gets COVID potentially all who attended will need to isolate until tested. How many want to risk their jobs having to isolate again.

Wannabe2

New Zealand have been very lucky with this virus, they have only had 22 deaths, although that’s 22 too many. They have been hit very mildly, so don’t have the same problems as us.