Thommo gone!

terry hunt

Some well balanced comments now he has left the Steelers.
Although i dislike his antics and much of the Sheffield hype (mostly created by Simmsy) they knocked us off our perch.
I believe our determination to get back on terms is partly responsible for the Devils success.
I would like to think Sheffield will come back a top quality outfit but sadly the Simms effect will hold them back.

Welshy74

Thommo didn't move with the times and that I think was his downfall. Coaches got better, recruiting got better and the game itself has changed from his time with the dominant Blaze team

matbur

The problems there won't fix themselves even though he's gone, a lot of work needs to go into making Steelers a force and Thommo's replacement will have big expectations to fill. Would be great (in the interests of not just Sheffield but the EIHL as a whole) to see Simms go (who I personal feel is vile and a stain on our game), but that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Wannabe2

I actually think he is a little hard done by - this season. When he was on the opposition bench at IAW, BBT or WNIR I’ve hated him. But it’s still a bloke who has a young family, who’s son idolises him, who’s daughter has to watch a tonne of abuse about on Twitter, now out of a job in a business where you can’t just walk straight into another job particularly easily.

His record isn’t that bad at Sheffield. Certainly in the past few years, they have been the next best to us. The Devils have built a behamoth, it’s been difficult to match us and as much as it would be hard to swallow for them a certain acceptance should be exercised, expectation should be dropped. Coming second best to the teams Andrew Lord and Todd Kelman is nothing to be that disappointed over.

The changes in the summer have just killed any chance he had. But those would’ve been certainly demanded from the whole management, not just his decision. And for a near complete change of the squad he was given just a month of regular season to get it right before the knives were out.
That’s not all together the truth though, there has been calls to get Thommo out for 1-2 seasons, and this hasn’t just been going on for a month, it just got untenable this season. He certainly didn’t help himself blaming everyone except the burger man. Simmsy didn’t help him, calling him the greatest coach ever, the Messiah that was going to revolutionise the Steelers, and the man that was going to win everything, the fans believed that claptrap, and then came down like a lead balloon, and didn’t help one iota. Anyway he has gone, and probably a good thing for him, and the club, only Mourinhio to go now.

Rempel16

I think we need to be careful with how we remember Thommo's time in charge of Sheffield. Because let's make no mistake, Sheffield and Thompson (and G) were the bench mark when Todd and Lordo took over. They were where we needed to be.

While where both clubs are at present, are very different, and the way in which we completed that challenge was phenominal, lets not forget just how big those rivalry games were in the league in Lord's first few years, that playoff final where we lost, was one of the most competitive games seen on these shores, and that took two teams. To notch down Thommos entire reign, is to not appreciate just how far we have come, and just how big our achievements are.

The Thing Thompson didn't do, was have any coherent plan of how to get back at us, what we have built, was just too big a challenge, when you are at somewhere for so long, it's easy to get stale.

And I'd say the biggest issue, was the culture Thompson built, that was now so engrained in the club it was going to eat away at any set of players that were there. It's a culture of Blame and Fear, We have a culture of Standards, you hit our standards on and off the ice, or you don't last.

Fascinating next chapter awaits at Sheffield and the League.
Not sure I agree with this. The Steelers were the benchmark for sure, but because of Thommo? No, his best players were all recruited for him by G and he inherited the core of a squad that should have been winning titles.
Of his own signings Thommo caught one or two decent players, but the rest on the whole have been busts. Steelers are better off without him from an on-ice perspective. His tactics are pre-historic. The game has moved forward and unfortunately he didn't move with it.

Foxy

I actually think he is a little hard done by - this season. When he was on the opposition bench at IAW, BBT or WNIR I’ve hated him. But it’s still a bloke who has a young family, who’s son idolises him, who’s daughter has to watch a tonne of abuse about on Twitter, now out of a job in a business where you can’t just walk straight into another job particularly easily.

His record isn’t that bad at Sheffield. Certainly in the past few years, they have been the next best to us. The Devils have built a behamoth, it’s been difficult to match us and as much as it would be hard to swallow for them a certain acceptance should be exercised, expectation should be dropped. Coming second best to the teams Andrew Lord and Todd Kelman is nothing to be that disappointed over.

The changes in the summer have just killed any chance he had. But those would’ve been certainly demanded from the whole management, not just his decision. And for a near complete change of the squad he was given just a month of regular season to get it right before the knives were out.
and i think that is his downfall. He made massive cuts at the end of last season and the players he brought in, for what ever reason just were not good enough. Whether that was a loss of confidence in the dressing room, not doing enough research on players, or players just not being good enough, nobody will know. The problem is when you make this your team you have no where to go. It has to work.

Gazza272

Not sure I agree with this. The Steelers were the benchmark for sure, but because of Thommo? No, his best players were all recruited for him by G and he inherited the core of a squad that should have been winning titles.
Of his own signings Thommo caught one or two decent players, but the rest on the whole have been busts. Steelers are better off without him from an on-ice perspective. His tactics are pre-historic. The game has moved forward and unfortunately he didn't move with it.

Not Because of solely Thompson, but You don't win the league simply be inheriting a good team, and that playoff winning team had some huge battles against us that season. He wasn't a huge bust in his first few seasons, I think you have to give him the right credit for that.

Gaz G

I feel a little sorry for the Rupert brothers. Brought in, to a new country, team, environment, culture and coach. Fired after just a few weeks and then the coach quits.

Gospel

Has Thommo become a better coach since his time at the Blaze? I don't think so. Has Thommo been able to get the best of players he signed? Absolutely not.

Shuff have huge problems in going forward as Thommo was not only the coach but also trying to get young Brits brought through as well as trying to do other stuff. That's Smiths fault for not bringing in designated people for designated roles and pretty much trying to do things on the cheap. Nothing wrong in trying to bring young kids through but at least do it properly if your going to do it.

Thommo never helped himself by throwing the players under the bus and as soon as you make stuff like that public you only have yourself to blame im afraid. Look at other sports and how they deal with stuff, even look at us at the Devils. Would any of our coaching team slam players like Thommo has done? Absolutely not, keep it in house and deal with it. As someone has already said Thommo hasn't moved with the times and what may have worked 8-10yrs ago wont work now.

The EIHL has moved on as a whole and if you look at teams like Stars & Flyers they have embraced what they need to do to become competitive and challenge and they have moved on. Have Shuff? They cant simply splash the cash now like they once could to attract the best/better players who need little coaching as other teams have the same capabilities or offer alternatives.

Taking a cold hard look at the situation Thommo had to go.

When I think of Thommo, the first thing that always comes to mind is an interview he gave prior to the 2017 playoff final. He was asked about what he thought was best for the development for the sport as a whole. He replied with words to the effect of "I don't care. I'm not here to think about what's best for Ice Hockey, I'm here to win and that's all that matters".

Not long into that game, Bownsy is rugby tackled to the ice. Now, based on the footage, it's arguable whether it was deliberate - but when I factor in that interview I can't help but see it any other way. And in pretty much every interview he's given since, the way he composes himself on the bench, and every public decision he's made, I see the same man from that interview. He doesn't care about the sport. He doesn't care about his own players. He cares about results at the cost of everything else.

In the interest of fairness, there's no doubt that the Steelers as an organisation have done good things for the sport; just look at Liam Kirk, and their development of British talent. But I would certainly question Thommo's involvement in that.

The good thing to come from this is it highlights everything we're doing right. If there's one thing the Devil's have proven over the last few years it's that results don't have to come at the cost of fans, or players' well-being, or the sport. We've invested time (and yes, money) in our own, and not only has it paid off, it's proven that the approach of people like Paul Thompson is blinkered and limited. And to their credit, it's something places like the Giants and Panthers seem to share. Let's hope the Steelers can move on from this and pull things together, because they're a team that has the ability to pull out the best from us, and much of the league.

Paul Sullivan

Ignoring for a moment the potentially sad fact that Paul's health was affected, and whilst 'personal reasons' is almost unilaterally used as a 'jump before pushed excuse', what amazes me is that the biggest Clubs, in the biggest Leagues in the world, regularly fire Coaches for mad starts, bad finishes and trophy less seasons yet here in the UK's highest level, fully Pro League, some fans around the EIHL and many Steelers think this came as a shock and have blamed '5%' for this.

Arsenal fans hired 'planes with 'Wenger out' messages to fly over the Emirates! A few chants and internet posts are not in that League.

This isn't that big an anomaly. I just hope he gets any physical or mental health support he now needs and makes a full recovery, if health is indeed the reason.

august04

When I think of Thommo, the first thing that always comes to mind is an interview he gave prior to the 2017 playoff final. He was asked about what he thought was best for the development for the sport as a whole. He replied with words to the effect of "I don't care. I'm not here to think about what's best for Ice Hockey, I'm here to win and that's all that matters".

Not long into that game, Bownsy is rugby tackled to the ice. Now, based on the footage, it's arguable whether it was deliberate - but when I factor in that interview I can't help but see it any other way. And in pretty much every interview he's given since, the way he composes himself on the bench, and every public decision he's made, I see the same man from that interview. He doesn't care about the sport. He doesn't care about his own players. He cares about results at the cost of everything else.

In the interest of fairness, there's no doubt that the Steelers as an organisation have done good things for the sport; just look at Liam Kirk, and their development of British talent. But I would certainly question Thommo's involvement in that.

The good thing to come from this is it highlights everything we're doing right. If there's one thing the Devil's have proven over the last few years it's that results don't have to come at the cost of fans, or players' well-being, or the sport. We've invested time (and yes, money) in our own, and not only has it paid off, it's proven that the approach of people like Paul Thompson is blinkered and limited. And to their credit, it's something places like the Giants and Panthers seem to share. Let's hope the Steelers can move on from this and pull things together, because they're a team that has the ability to pull out the best from us, and much of the league.
Great post. I’m finding the outpouring of love for this guy from within the Steelers camp somewhat unbelievable. They’re crediting him with all sorts, from the making of Liam Kirk to transforming junior development and the hockey culture within the club. Sorry but I just don’t get it. The people who should take the credit for Liam Kirk are his coaches within the junior set up from when he was a kid, not some Johnny come lately who has only been there for 3 years or so. Yes he set up the apprentice programme at Sheffield but that’s nothing new - the Devils did exactly that over 25 years ago! And where’s Cole Shudra this year? Palmed off to MK to get some ice time. He’s been the head coach of the Steelers and his main responsibility has been to maintain the winning culture of that club. He inherited some great players from G, and won a title on the back of that. I actually liked watching them during the first year of his Scandinavian experiment when we had some great games with them, but since then, they’ve gone downhill year on year to the point where they are unrecognisable from previous Steelers teams, who we’ve always had a great rivalry with. I almost felt sorry for them this year (only almost!). He’s not there to babysit the junior development programme at the expense of keeping the Steelers competitive. And if he’s that good at that aspect of the job, keep him involved as Director of Junior development/hockey operations. It’s telling that they haven’t done that and he’s been freed from all duties ‘for personal reasons`. And Seth Bennett remarks that he’ll “walk into a coaching job in better leagues like the SHL, DEL or North America” - good luck with that Thommo! The hockey world is a small one and word gets around about the players that he’s rubbished and thrown under bus and his constant refusal to take any blame for the state of that club at the moment. Tony Smith should take the plunge now, get rid of the estate agent too and look to rebuild the reputation of that club. I have absolutely no doubt that they will begin to improve over the coming weeks. That can only be good for the league.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

The outpouring of support for Thommo by professionals around the ice hockey community would suggest he is respected and admired by many.

It's easy as fans to speculate the reasons for his departure. The pressures for a coach in any sporting environment must be suffocating. If you work in a toxic environment which demands instant success then it is going to effect you personally. It will not be an enjoyable place to work. I do not buy the 'resigned before he was pushed' scenario at all - if it was effecting his health and his motivation, then surely we have to have some level of sympathy.

No taking away Thommo's past achievements prior to his time at Steelers. He was certainly a vastly successful coach of his time. But the game moves on - but maybe Thommo was constrained by club decisions rather than his abilities to develop a team. It highlights the stark differences between our beloved Club and some others. Where the success and growth at Devils is organic and carefully planned with personnel who UNDERSTAND the sport in full control, the Steelers always want immediate success at whatever cost (because that's always happened). After major upheaval at Steelers during the Summer, the organisation expected instant results when these things, in reality, always take time.

Hoping Thommo can walk away a relieved man and concentrate on his health. Nothing is worth making yourself ill for. Have no doubt he will be approached by other clubs here and overseas with opportunities. The league needs a strong Steelers - if those in charge are prepared to change the culture there and take a chance on different direction. Sometimes you just have to be patient.

A man has lost his job, BUT a winning coach lost his job to make the position available for him in the first place. Thommo along with Simmsey and Tony Smith were all part of that conspiracy, I am having trouble feeling sorry for any of them, once again it's the fans of the Steelers who are feeling it most