Todd’s chat today

Devil94

Yes. Todd failed to mention that Boris can only give the go ahead for half the teams in the league. The three other governments will be far later (rightly so), and will also likely be different from each other. I'm fact, didn't NI government announce no indoor sporting events for the remainder of 2020 a while ago?
Can't see a season personally.

Gospel

Its all well and good for indoor sports to be given the go ahead to resume BUT thats without fans being present. Todd clearly stated that teams cannot survive with streaming alone and need fans to attend. That isnt being allowed in any sport in the UK right now, indoors or out. We are less than 12 weeks from the potential start to the season so i guess we will know one way or another very soon.

Diablo3

Latest I heard was late November early December if we get the go ahead in time. As Todd said it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get all the players over settled / visas etc. So by that mark we need to get the go ahead by the end of September for any sort of season which I think is doable.

In the end, covid or no covid, the country has to start doing business again or we go back to the stone age. We can't sustain this level of lock down indefinitely.

BostonBart22

Does Mr Drakeford have any say in this? If so we'll no doubt be 3 weeks after England as his personal battle with Westminster continues.
he is doing the right thing, only today some places in england got an R rate of 1 so it will be lockdown for a few more cities looming...and in that time english people been travelling all over uk spreading virus again, its a vicious circle, news from the states today 65000 new cases a daily record, dreading the winter months...

moggy#9

he is doing the right thing, only today some places in england got an R rate of 1 so it will be lockdown for a few more cities looming...and in that time english people been travelling all over uk spreading virus again, its a vicious circle, news from the states today 65000 new cases a daily record, dreading the winter months...
I think a second lockdown is inevitable because do many people are incapable of following simple instructions.

august04

He might as well go with the timescale that England is opening up at though, for precisely the reason you mention. People are now travelling all over the UK (and now from numerous other countries) without any restrictions in the holiday season, so it makes no difference really that our R rate Is lower at this time. The R number is less accurate when the level of the virus is low anyway, so I don’t pay much attention to that at the moment. The number of cases, hospital admissions and deaths is a better way of determining what’s going on and they continue to decline in most areas of the U.K., despite weeks of protests etc.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

When they say "indoor sport" that's a broad spectrum. Sports such as tennis, bowls, cycling are all sports that can be indoors and can use distancing.

matbur

Guys, sorry but I feel some of you are missing the point. It's not about whether someone should loosen restrictions because of football or whatever.

You don't need to be a Luke Piggott of the world to understand that relaxing restrictions = increases in infections.

Do you really think that when we relax things, infection rates will just roughly stay the same, Covid won't spread much and somehow we'll manage it? It is not logical, it's wishful thinking.

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

I think a second lockdown is inevitable because do many people are incapable of following simple instructions.
Local lockdowns maybe but a full national one I cant see it happening. It would kill what's the left of the economy and the country will end up bankrupt.

Schools are opening fully in September & that's a positive sign but it all depends how cautious the various ministers are.

Hedd Wyn John

Guys, sorry but I feel some of you are missing the point. It's not about whether someone should loosen restrictions because of football or whatever.

You don't need to be a Luke Piggott of the world to understand that relaxing restrictions = increases in infections.

Do you really think that when we relax things, infection rates will just roughly stay the same, Covid won't spread much and somehow we'll manage it? It is not logical, it's wishful thinking.
To be fair we've been relaxing restrictions for a while now and infections have continued to drop. Whether that contiues I don't know but France, Germany, Spain, Italy etc have all relaxed a lot of their restrictions and infections have died down. Ultimately if restrictions aren't relaxed further at some point then we'll have no ice hockey or any kind of spectator sport in this country.
My main concern regarding ice hockey is the spikes in cases seen in food processing and meat plants around the world. Couple of things in common with hockey rinks: people crammed in close together and low temperatures (which covid virus likes). We could see a situation where Govts lift restrictions on spectator sports but keep them in place ice rinks etc.

What a great interview. How fortunate are we to have an MD like Todd. Right the way through our ownership,, management and coaching staff we have been so fortunate to have people who are prepared to say it, how it is, over the last few years. Whether we have a shortened season or even no season at all, it is great to know the future of Cardiff Devils is in such sincere and capable hands. It is a tough time, and certainly, I have only a glimmer of the bigger picture, but I am very appreciative of all you guys are doing.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #35
What a great interview. How fortunate are we to have an MD like Todd. Right the way through our ownership,, management and coaching staff we have been so fortunate to have people who are prepared to say it, how it is, over the last few years. Whether we have a shortened season or even no season at all, it is great to know the future of Cardiff Devils is in such sincere and capable hands. It is a tough time, and certainly, I have only a glimmer of the bigger picture, but I am very appreciative of all you guys are doing.
Spot on buddy, we are truly blessed, it’s very true that good things happen to those who wait, and by god have we waited. We tried the rest, now we have the best, so enjoy the trip people it’s only just begun.
Happy Hockey Days.