Tougher covid restrictions - risk to hockey?

Slartibartfast

The jury is very much still out about the deadliness of omicron as there is quite a high level of natural immunity in South Africa (due to Delta hitting them hard) and a the fact that they have a much younger population, so it is hard to extrapolate to the UK. It may be that South Africa is a "best case scenario" and other countries/populations with different levels or types of immunity may see worse effects. It is definitely not proven that omicron is going to be milder in all conditions but fingers crossed that this does become the case.
Thats what the government is saying but there is something that I don't get. Blood tests on the population in Gauteng (the epicenter of Omicron) show 75% had antibodies to Covid. In Britain the same tests are showing over 90%. The chair of the South African Medical Association has been saying its milder and despite the huge numbers of infections most cases in hospitals are incidental (i.e. were in hospital for another reason). Much fewer are needing oxygen or ICU and she even said that the elderly were faring much better than previously. The government is probably just being cautious which is probably a good thing but Im really hoping the signs from SA show this could be the end of this damn virus.

Kevlar68

Just been to motorpoint and nearly capacity with constant mask monitoring but lots drinking so no masks but we were up in the balcony area with only 10 other people so at least 10 meters apart then on to porters bar, not a mask in sight, very busy, almost body to body, so a very quick half stood in a corner and left. Virus spreading heaven both places compared to IAW.

Diafol

I was downstairs at the Motorpoint tonight.
I didn't see anyone monitoring masks but did see loads of people without them / using them as neck warmers.
Very similar to IAW.

Earnie

In fairness I think the mask situation in IAW is much improved and the effort by staff is considerable. However there are always the smart arse fans who pull their masks down when the stewards/security have moved away. Shameful and just plain stupid really!

In fairness I think the mask situation in IAW is much improved and the effort by staff is considerable. However there are always the smart arse fans who pull their masks down when the stewards/security have moved away. Shameful and just plain stupid really!
I wish they would just kick these parties out if they have already been told numerous times.

Mazzoak

London Mayor has just declared a Major Incident in London as today there has been a surge in cases admitted to London Hospitals which are near to capacity. That maybe the first indicator of a lockdown coming this week, I’d guess by Wednesday. If there was to be a incident involving mass casualties they’d be serious issues.

Devil94

Don't usually take any notice of "I heard rumours that" posts, but a lot of talk today amongst senior reputable journalists that from December 27th, England will go back to the old step 2 restrictions from the spring.
So that's pubs outside only in tables of 6. If that happens, can't see how indoor events will go ahead.
Appears more of a leak than a rumour, so it might have some legs. But we'll see.

Kevlar68

ahhh right now i get it.
As with everything i always wait to see the official announcement as there is so much bullshit out there on the interweb and social media.
We've already seen a load of crap on here about "I heard a rumour" (not the Bananarama song) and "reliable sources" and nothing come of them and that's not just about Covid.
The odd few on here like the drama and doom mongering instead of just going with it and trying to enjoy life, must be draining for them being so negative.
So lets all just sit tight and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

They cancelled the New Years Eve celebrations in London months ago out of fear of Covid Delta variant being an issue in the winter, so it’s hardly a surprise that New Years celebrations will to be lockdown or severely restricted.

Kevlar68

I'm booked in to the Hardrock Hotel London for their New Years Eve party and had a call today from them to confirm my 3 course meal order, sooooo........at the moment that event is still on but i wait in hope.
Everyone who has booked in has their own private table for the duration of the party and bookings only , no walk ins.
But yes the Embankment fireworks and events there were cancelled ages ago.

moggy#9

I had to download a vaccine passport to go see Spider-man tonight. Its easy to see those rules being extended to the hockey. Would be a headache dealing with season ticket holders unable to attend though.
I went to see Spider-Man in nantgarw this morning. I was shocked at the number of people not wearing masks in the theatre itself. At least they were actually denying access into the building to those without vaccine passports, they just seemed to further about three rules once people were inside.

Mazzoak

I'm booked in to the Hardrock Hotel London for their New Years Eve party and had a call today from them to confirm my 3 course meal order, sooooo........at the moment that event is still on but i wait in hope.
Everyone who has booked in has their own private table for the duration of the party and bookings only , no walk ins.
But yes the Embankment fireworks and events there were cancelled ages ago.
Fingers crossed sounds like a great night.