Toughness ......

kingmo19.1

Thread starter #1
For those fans with a little too much testosterone- here’s your own thread to discuss toughness, fights and the rocky films !!!!!

Wannabe2

This thread is for us to talk about toughness, we all have our views on this. Myself I thought last season we could be a match toughness wise for anyone, we may not always have shown it, but it was certainly there. We contained it at times, and winning what we did then who could argue with that, fight wise we were 8th in the league with 21 fights, funny enough Giants were 10th with 16. Funnier still Steelers were at number one with 35 fights, so in fairness they were number 1 at something. Anyone have any views on this.

I like a genuine tough guy in teams, they have respect from opposition players as soon as they hit the ice, to have one who only fights if need be is a definite asset in my opinion,.
I know the game is changing but who doesn't get up off their seat when a fight develops? it pumps everybody up as well.

BostonBart22

This thread is for us to talk about toughness, we all have our views on this. Myself I thought last season we could be a match toughness wise for anyone, we may not always have shown it, but it was certainly there. We contained it at times, and winning what we did then who could argue with that, fight wise we were 8th in the league with 21 fights, funny enough Giants were 10th with 16. Funnier still Steelers were at number one with 35 fights, so in fairness they were number 1 at something. Anyone have any views on this.
spot on, control toughness, stay out of box with stupid penalties and we are on course for a threepeat. 4 trophys this season just gone...steelers top of lge fights NO TROPHYS.

voth26

Spot on, the only thing for me was there were times we needed some one to step up and we didnt, other than that just an awesome season

Kevlar68

The team as a balance is perfect i think. Speed and skill is now the game with taking advantages of quick break out goals on turnovers and making powerplays count.
There is a very small but........I think we do need one out and out enforcer and my reason is this, when we were bullied, muscled and put off our game we had no reply really. That one enforcer can be there to do the same to other teams but also to be on the ice at the same time as a bigger more physical player from the opposition to stop them from getting under the skin of our more skilful players.
They throw on a enforcer then we got one to cancel him out but that is the only reason i think we need one, not just to have someone who wants to throw the gloves off at any chance.

ASHIPP

And remember that Big Lou came back from injuries twice this season. Easing himself back into the early games he was probably told not to aggravate his recovery.

Rich Best

Big Lou was very clearly up for it in the last 4 or 5 games of the season, but there were no takers. He clearly offered Paquette a dance but he refused!

Kal

Teams with enforcers didn't bother us this year, Rosehill and Paquette for example hardly did anything and if they did try any naughty business Louis or Batch wouldn't stand for it. Only team i feel that maybe tipped the scale for physicality against us was Belfast who also went for team toughness over an out and out enforcer.

Johnnybravo1927

Teams with enforcers didn't bother us this year, Rosehill and Paquette for example hardly did anything and if they did try any naughty business Louis or Batch wouldn't stand for it. Only team i feel that maybe tipped the scale for physicality against us was Belfast who also went for team toughness over an out and out enforcer.

Rosehill was ineffective but Paquette caused pandemonium when he played. Hits everything, chases down, skates hard and chips in with a few goals. His discipline was awful at the start of the season but improved. A player I feel that's very similar but not as good as Faryna.

Leighton

Big Lou was very clearly up for it in the last 4 or 5 games of the season, but there were no takers. He clearly offered Paquette a dance but he refused!
lol! Paquette was seemingly up for it and took his helmet off to go... with two linos and a ref standing in between them and knowing nothing was gonna happen! :)

Rich Best

lol! Paquette was seemingly up for it and took his helmet off to go... with two linos and a ref standing in between them and knowing nothing was gonna happen! :)
Hi Leighton. I am pretty sure that was Strachan where pacquette removed helmet. I am talking about playoff quarter final second leg (home). Benti and pacquette we're shoving each other around at face off and big Lou skated in next to pacquette and clearly offered him. Pacquette refused (probably coaches orders). Still, was good to see lou step up - he was very clearly up for it in the last few games of the season.

OJLloyd

Hi Leighton. I am pretty sure that was Strachan where pacquette removed helmet. I am talking about playoff quarter final second leg (home). Benti and pacquette we're shoving each other around at face off and big Lou skated in next to pacquette and clearly offered him. Pacquette refused (probably coaches orders). Still, was good to see lou step up - he was very clearly up for it in the last few games of the season.
It was Strachan. Pacquette got a 2 for it as well, goaded him in to it and then skated off

Finny

The days of the out and out enforcer are gone. Two years ago we had Bordeleau who was not just very tough but could also play - but ultimately it wasn't enough.
Bordeleau's role as a forward who can fight and check was ultimately taken by Faryna. Who checked, fought and also iced a regular shift.
Faryna finished as our second highest goalscorer!

There will obviously be arguments as to whether Belfast or ourselves were tougher. But regardless of who was the tougher - Belfast didn't have out and out enforcers either.

Going forward, we need a similar look to the roster to what we had this season. Where any of our imports could conceivably play on our 1st line.

Gazza272

The days of the out and out enforcer are gone. Two years ago we had Bordeleau who was not just very tough but could also play - but ultimately it wasn't enough.
Bordeleau's role as a forward who can fight and check was ultimately taken by Faryna. Who checked, fought and also iced a regular shift.
Faryna finished as our second highest goalscorer!

There will obviously be arguments as to whether Belfast or ourselves were tougher. But regardless of who was the tougher - Belfast didn't have out and out enforcers either.

Going forward, we need a similar look to the roster to what we had this season. Where any of our imports could conceivably play on our 1st line.
I think we also have to consider this, how many teams will be trying to recruit a team like ours this off season? after the few seasons we have had, they all will!

We are setting the trends in the league at this moment as the team to beat. We have no reason at present to change our philosophy.

Really like Paquette and Fitzy, would not take either of them over Faryna. He hits hard, and is willing to go with anyone at the right time!

Riddick, Faryna, Louis and Strachan can all play great hockey and play tough when called upon!