Toughness ......

Devil_Abroad

I thought we were bullied in quite a few games, especially the CC final where Martinelli was getting away with everything.
In a final the refs tend to put the whistle away and only call secondaries so they will allow grabbing, holding and such like - you have to join in and not retaliate.

I think the final was more about Giants wanting it more - they had the jump all game and we went to sleep second period.

On the day they were the better side by a small distance. In a one off final that can happen. Against Steelers we played for 60 mins and even though they stepped up they couldn’t match us for 60.

A few of the Giants (Martinelli, Goulakos, Vandermeer, Connolly and Rutherford) would dish out cheap shots (one or two of ours do too mind) but the guys didn’t retaliate and for the 10% or so actually called we hit them on the PP or tired them out most games through the season.

I prefer a tough team like ours that can take those shots without retaliating and giving cheap PPs to the opposition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ocko

I'd like us to sign someone a bit more willing. We are tough, not the toughest but still tough. We just aren't proactive with the rough stuff - not particularly nasty.

Bordealeu however, absolute waste of time. A few big hits over the course of a entire season and that's it. No one was scared of him because his gloves were glued on most of the time. Everyone knew he wouldn't fight so any intimidation was null and void.

Wannabe2

There again the toughest won jack all, I thought we had a good balance of skill and if needed toughness, were we going to win every fight we had, no, were we going to show up, probably when it was needed. Now there was a time when I would have loved 5 MacWilliams in my forwards and 5 Clayton Norrises in my defence, but times have changed. For 2 yrs now we have been the team to beat, give me that every time,

jimmy snels

someone a bit more willing is what i would like as well.

sorry i thought it was pretty widely known the pair i said were very settled here:oops:.... id be amazed to see them leave this off season for various reasons or even the year after that. i dont believe for one minute either were on 1 year deals either but that one is speculating!! :p:p:p

There again the toughest won jack all, I thought we had a good balance of skill and if needed toughness, were we going to win every fight we had, no, were we going to show up, probably when it was needed. Now there was a time when I would have loved 5 MacWilliams in my forwards and 5 Clayton Norrises in my defence, but times have changed. For 2 yrs now we have been the team to beat, give me that every time,
Who is this toughest team that won jack all?
Was the reason they won jack all because they were the toughest?
I'm talking here about one tough nut to make the opposition have doubts when thinking of taking liberties, not a goon but a real tough guy who can play a bit.
It wouldn't really alter the balance of the team to any great extent but it would create that X factor, I doubt it would make us less competitive either as we won the league by 10 points I believe.

Ocko

Is everyone who mentions they'd like a tough player going to be told they're wrong with the 'but we won the league without one, so there' attitude?

We were a great team, but I'd prefer a tough guy just for the added bit of entertainment and to take away the frustration I sometimes felt when our players seemed to be overly roughed up (I know someone will tell me I'm wrong and we weren't bullied) but I just didn't like our lack of response at times. I don't care if we won the league without a tough guy, we were a good enough team and Lord is a good enough coach to win the league with one.

Wannabe2

Can’t fault those views, think deep down we all want a warrior, a guy who is as tough as old leather boots, don’t give a fig about anyone, and who can play. Voth mark 2 would be nice. Would be good to have a new Lord Mayor of Cardiff.

Devil_Abroad

Is everyone who mentions they'd like a tough player going to be told they're wrong with the 'but we won the league without one, so there' attitude?

We were a great team, but I'd prefer a tough guy just for the added bit of entertainment and to take away the frustration I sometimes felt when our players seemed to be overly roughed up (I know someone will tell me I'm wrong and we weren't bullied) but I just didn't like our lack of response at times. I don't care if we won the league without a tough guy, we were a good enough team and Lord is a good enough coach to win the league with one.
If I disagree and they’re right then I’m wrong and so why am I disagreeing?

People are going to disagree and therefore say they’re right and the other view is wrong; not sure you can get away from that?

For me Lord has found the right players over the last 2 years playing a style that wins championships; I’m not going to argue with that.

I don’t think anyone took liberties with our players this season; yes some poor hits occur and players try to unsettle the opposition but it’s a contact and physical sport. Seeing how Faryna, Batch, Hotham, Louis and even Reddick step up (nobody would go with Strachan for some reason) I think we’re tough enough.

Rich Best

If I disagree and they’re right then I’m wrong and so why am I disagreeing?

People are going to disagree and therefore say they’re right and the other view is wrong; not sure you can get away from that?

For me Lord has found the right players over the last 2 years playing a style that wins championships; I’m not going to argue with that.

I don’t think anyone took liberties with our players this season; yes some poor hits occur and players try to unsettle the opposition but it’s a contact and physical sport. Seeing how Faryna, Batch, Hotham, Louis and even Reddick step up (nobody would go with Strachan for some reason) I think we’re tough enough.

Gagnon went with strachan

jimmy snels

i also like to win fights occasionally as well as against actual tough guys we didnt win many! Hotham only went with 3 career non fighters so take them away and our win percentage is exceedingly average. id like a tougher player whos more willing. winning the league was great but for entertainment on some nights i was left frustrated with the lack of reaction to really poor hits or running bownsy.

Rob Batch

I think the way the refs are calling the games these days affect the use of 'enforcers'. I love the rough stuff but can see there needs to be a balance between entertainment and stupidity (PiMs). Team toughness does work if everybody buys into it.

Devil_Abroad

I think the way the refs are calling the games these days affect the use of 'enforcers'. I love the rough stuff but can see there needs to be a balance between entertainment and stupidity (PiMs). Team toughness does work if everybody buys into it.
Anyone fancy putting together penalty mins stats for us over the Lord era? Might be interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finny

Paris sat out a lot of our season though, including the Playoff Weekend. And because we had a spare import it would have to be two imports.

So if you had a tough guy to that team then you have too many imports.

So based on:

Hotham-Richardson
Fournier-Louis
Strachan-Reddick

Asselin - Martin - Pope
Bentivoglio - Crowder - Haddad
Morissette - Ulmer - Faryna
Batch - Myers - Moore

Who do you drop for the tough guy?

dave

Anyone fancy putting together penalty mins stats for us over the Lord era? Might be interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But which season/coach do you want to against and then do you want to add in the cause in PP and PK. Its all pretty doable but need to know what you want to compare it against. Or even another team in same year??

Finny, your making an assumption that every player from last year's roster wants to and will return, will Ulmer fancy another season? (isn't he 37ish), was Paris what we were looking for?, did Crowder live up to expectations?.
Any one of these and maybe one or two I've missed could be surplus to requirements or not want to return or even join another eihl team. There's always room for a true tough nut who can play a bit, he gives you playing ability and hard fists, two things that go together really well in this league.