Unpopular opinion: NHL meh

moggy#9

Thread starter #1
We're a bit spoilt with all of the hockey that freesports brings us these days. It struck me recently though how awful many NHL games are. The lower teams produce chippy affairs where skilled players get little chance to show it off. Don't get me wrong, the NHL has the best players and arenas, it's just not the most entertaining product.

I think the nhl has 2 main problems - too many teams diluting the quality and, ironically, the biggest problem is the ice being too small (or rather too narrow). I think it'd be a far more entertaining product if they played on the same sized pad as everyone else in the world. There'd be more skating, passing and scoring (mcdavid would probably add another 20 goals a season), there'd be no need for the trapezoid as it'd be more of a risk for goalies to handle the puck in the corners, and it'd be much harder for teams to strangle the life from matches with traps.

I tend to enjoy the SHL much more these days. It's a great style of hockey and you get the bonus of kids stepping up and having a huge impact ahead of being picked up on the NHL draft.

I'm curious as to people's opinions on what the most entertaining (not best) league is. The DEL used to be brilliant, but I haven't seen any of that for years.

Kevlar68

I don't think its the fact of too many teams as only 31 teams over 2 countries that has over 350 million people.
Sweden SHL has 14 teams in one country with only around 10 million people.
I think its down to rule changes and regulations leading to a sterile game all round, also lower league style seems to be more raw as not in a shop window on every satellite sport channel.
The players in the NHL have made it to the big money, players in the other leagues around the world look up to the NHL and aspire to be a big name player in that league so the game play is with more passion and effort to be spotted.
Don't get me wrong, the NHL players to put a shift in but their already at the top of their game with big paydays.
Just my opinion, i may be wrong.

jenks33

Funny how we see things differently. Personally I think the NHL is brilliant at the moment and if you compare the regular season to the NBA, MLB and NFL its streets ahead. The on ice product and parity around the league is very impressive. Generally you have to be a very skilled player and good skater to be in the league these days, which is how it should be. 10/15 years ago there were some awful NHL players but you just can’t survive in the league anymore unless you’re a good skater and can play a bit.

ASHIPP

Nothing beats watching the NHL - the skill and quality of players, the arenas, the atmosphere. Even the showcase games like the Winter Classic are exciting, just for the sheer 'specialness' of the event.

moggy#9

Thread starter #5
I can see your points. The one NHL game I saw live back in the 90s was an amazing experience. 17000 islanders fans chanting "Gretzky sucks" while they beat the rangers was an amazing experience (even if I disagreed completely with their view of the great one). There's certainly no disputing the ability of NHL players, of just prefer to see them on the puck for more than half a second. This was the crux of my opinion, that skill level doesn't necessarily equate to most entertaining. Hopefully one I'll get the opportunity to see some DEL and SHL live.