Upcoming season thoughts

E.D.S.

Weren't the vouchers offered to people who had booked tickets in advance for the last 4 games ?

ST holders were offered 2 free pre-season games and an exclusive season launch event.

I can't link to it but the STH offer was posted on the Devils website on 18th March.
That would make sense. I think my mistake is thinking that this related to the games we're missing as part of the 20/21 season given the plans to start the season in November time but if this is relating to last seasons cancellation then that puts a different slant on things.

What happens to this seasons missed games for season ticket holders if the season starts in November (unlikely I know)?

osh

Well, as the topic is ‘Up Season Thoughts’, here’s mine. I don‘t think there will be a 20/21 season ( hope I’m wrong )
however, from a players perspective, they will need to be making decisions as to how they will be earning wages for the next 12 months or so. I’m sure they will all have irons in the fire to see when other leagues have definite start dates and it certainly wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see a couple of our players join up with Lord at some stage if the ECHL intended start date of December 4th goes ahead as stated and planned. I’ve cancelled holidays in November and February and will be avoiding concerts and large sports gatherings until I’m more convinced it’s safe to do so.

Wannabe2

With you Osh, can’t see us having a season unfortunately, players need to have jobs if there’s any out there, if our league don’t happen, then maybe many other leagues won’t happen either, it’s like a catch 22. This bloody virus has screwed so many people over, and also left many good people in dire straits, be it losing loved ones or leaving people in the shit. Let’s hope and pray we have seen the worse, although that may not be the case by any means. We can only live in hope unfortunately.

Seems like even if we're allowed into arenas by February, the real struggle will be actually putting a team together. I'm glad the club and Joey have made it clear it's only a temporary departure.

The press release on the Devils site says Martin was on a two-year deal so he'll be back next summer. I can only imagine Todd has done the same with most of the players we've already signed as a contingency plan to make sure our best players return.

Diafol

I'm getting less and less optimistic about 20/21 happening at all.

What concerns me more though is the probability of EIHL clubs folding, and not having anyone to play against in 21/22.

Hedd Wyn John

I'm getting less and less optimistic about 20/21 happening at all.

What concerns me more though is the probability of EIHL clubs folding, and not having anyone to play against in 21/22.
20/21 isn't happening players aren't going to hang around for a league that may or may not restart. They need wages and that means leagues they know are starting back up. I don't blame them. I'd do the same.

Diafol

Copied from the Devils Facebook page:

Our managing director Todd Kelman will be taking over the Devils twitter account at 8pm tonight to address any questions or concerns.

moggy#9

I hope everyone is civil with him. He's doing a very difficult job at the moment. I certainly hope that he and the owners appreciate realise how much they're appreciated.

Wannabe2

Why would anyone not be civil to Todd, he is well respected and played a huge part in securing our clubs future. He’s not a bad announcer at times as well.

mjh

Not hockey related but there is some logic to my thinking.... How are lower league football teams planning to start this season if they don't have fans attending? Is the level of sponsorship enough to pay wages or are there government subsidies? The usual argument of 'no fans until vaccine' can't be used forever as we may never have an effective vaccine, so how are clubs planning on getting people back in?

Not hockey related but there is some logic to my thinking.... How are lower league football teams planning to start this season if they don't have fans attending? Is the level of sponsorship enough to pay wages or are there government subsidies? The usual argument of 'no fans until vaccine' can't be used forever as we may never have an effective vaccine, so how are clubs planning on getting people back in?
They play outdoors!

kingmo19.1

I think I saw last week that league 1&2 football teams have implemented a salary cap (good idea in my eyes). Presume that has helped plus existing sponsorship and owners/benefactor who are willing to offer some financial support.

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

Steve Lee has left Guildford to play in the Alps Hockey League.

Sadly, I can see an outflow if players in the next month which then begs the question what if the EIHL if it does start later than planned? Rosters could look a lot different from what fans are used to!

BostonBart22

Can see a cap on imports if its a short season and will be fair on all clubs especially the ones with low budgets, no good having steelers with say 12 imports and the likes of storm or stars with say 4 or 5..

moggy#9

Can see a cap on imports if its a short season and will be fair on all clubs especially the ones with low budgets, no good having steelers with say 12 imports and the likes of storm or stars with say 4 or 5..
I'm not sure how that would work. I'm sure the contractual issues could be sorted, but the need to find lots of Brits to fill the rosters would make for mayhem IMO.

pjj365

Never mind players for now what about somewhere to play
On the day Greater Manchester (Storm) start coming out of local lock down Glasgow (inc Braehead) go into local lock down
Planning for the immediate future in these circumstances must be a nightmare