Växjö Lakers Vs Devils - Tue 9 Oct - CHL

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
6ha6d2z2.jpg
Devils have travelled to Växjö for the last of their away CHL first round games. We know what to expect having played and beaten them before, they possibly won't take us so lightly this time however. With some more domestic games under our belt, we're in good shape to see how we match up this time.
The game is being shown on freesports tonight from 5.25 and the puck drops 5/30 our time

mk18

I for one am expecting Växjö to come out and try to dominate this game as they can *still* qualify for the knockout stages of the competition and as last year's runners up I'm sure that they will be looking to give it every shot to progress.
However, they haven't had the best of starts to their SHL campaign this season and their record is currently 2-2-2 placing them in the ninth spot with 8 points which includes a regulation time 2-1 loss against Timra who played two pre-season games against the Steelers this summer.
Växjö's CHL campaign has obviously not been great so far but in the two games that I have seen them play, albeit through the YouTube stream, they have played some very entertaining hockey with their only win coming against Salzburg which was helped with an Austin Ortega hat trick. Ortega has 4 points in 4 CHL games and also 25 PiMs which came from a game misconduct vs Bern which was a very physical game with plenty of rough stuff after the whistle and Växjö as a team took 51 PiMs. They have four players who have four points in the CHL this year; Ortega, Horak, Persson and Shinnimin and both goalies post a below 90 save percentage compared to both posting 94% in the SHL.
We know that our CHL efforts have been brave without reward this year taking the Swiss champions SC Bern to OT at Ice Arena Wales and then leading twice against them in Bern. If we execute our game plan and can quickly adapt to the pace, European refereeing style and get a complete buy in of the systems from the team then we're in for a very good game. Hedden (3+1) and Pope (0+4) lead the team with 4 points and Martin (1+2) with three points is close behind. Bowns posts a 86.7% save percentage making some crucial and world class saves throughout.
I'm really looking forward to this one... Let's Go Devils, go out and send another message to Europe and the Elite League combined!

august04

It was always going to be a tough ask. We’ve hung on well, took one of our few chances beautifully but gave away two poor goals in that period. Not sure what Reddick was doing abandoning the net area for that first goal, gave the guy an open invite to cut in and score.

Wannabe2

End of 2nd still 2-1, but we are playing very very well. Not long ago this would have been 10-0. You got to love this team.

osh

Devils on a 4 minute pp, however, Vaxjo doing a great pk and limiting us to very few shooting chances. 9 minutes left in 3rd period.

osh

Another pp for Baxjo coming up. Their net minder has also made some huge saves and are slightly unlucky not to have pulled a goal back in this period. Soft penalty called on Joey Martin by the looks of it.

osh

Another penalty against us and also against Vaxjo, coincidental 5 on 4 for Lakers for another minute. Louis now gets a 2 minute delay of game, poor call.

osh

3-1, Vaxjo score on pp. Great performance from Devils and had to endure some pretty typical European poor refereeing decisions.
Vaxjo know they have been in a game tonight and will be very wary of us next week. Well done to the team and travelling fans.

Wannabe2

Well we left it all out there on the ice, we just lost marginally to the Swedish champions in Sweden. Well done lads you done our club and our City proud, and we couldn’t have asked for more. Have a good night, and a safe journey home, love watching this team.
Happy Hockey Days

RedDevil17

Fairly solid performance tonight against a quality Växjö team. Even without Elias Petersson they looked extremely dangerous. Moved the puck around beautifully. They had much more offensive zone time which is expected but they would’ve scored lots more if it wasn’t for Bownsy. He was my man of the match and played absolutely superb. His league form done him the world of good going into that game. However, 2 errors for both of their goals from certain players, Reddick was out of position and had poor man coverage which allowed their winger to completely cut in and score on the 1st goal. Had no idea what he was doing there. We got into penalty trouble toward the end which didn’t help.

Then we go and concede an unlucky shorthanded goal which seemed to knock our confidence a bit. Hedden scored a lovely opening goal and credit to Haddad for a lovely flip pass. Hedden seems a quality player, a great signing. Linglet also impressed me as did Dixon. Pope played good too.

I do think we’ve gone backwards in the CHL in terms of results and points (2 wins last year, 0 this year) but we’ve lost by smaller margins than the ones we lost by last year such as the 10-1 demolishing last season but this season we’ve shown the EIHL teams are no pushovers. I still think we’ll dominate the league, judging from what I’ve seen of the other teams in our league so far and we’ll bounce back against Dundee I’m sure. Even though it was a meaningless game for us, we still played good and the team have worked their nuts off the entire CHL campaign. They (as well as the rest of the fanbase) should take great pride.

Last edited:

pjj365

Fairly solid performance tonight against a quality Växjö team. Even without Elias Petersson they looked extremely dangerous. Moved the puck around beautifully. They had much more offensive zone time which is expected but they would’ve scored lots more if it wasn’t for Bownsy. He played absolutely superb. His league form done him the world of good going into that game. However, 2 errors for both of their goals from certain players, Reddick was out of position and had poor man coverage which allowed their winger to completely cut in and score on the 1st goal. Had no idea what he was doing there. Then we go and concede an unlucky shorthanded goal which seemed to knock our confidence a bit. Hedden scored a lovely opening goal and credit to Haddad for a lovely flip pass. Hedden seems a quality player, a great signing.

I do think we’ve gone backwards in the CHL in terms of results and points (2 wins last year, 0 this year) but we’ve lost by smaller margins than the ones we lost by last year such as the 10-1 demolishing last season but this season we’ve shown the EIHL teams are no pushovers. I still think we’ll dominate the league, judging from what I’ve seen of the other teams in our league so far and we’ll bounce back against Dundee I’m sure.
I do not normally pick on other people's posts nor will I criticise someone's view of any player
BUT this seems a pick on Reddick post. You mention certain playerS yet only mention Reddick - why is that?

I wouldn’t put to much store into our 2 wins last year historic though they may be. The European teams took us for granted then. They haven’t made that mistake this time round. What is more telling is how much more competitive we have been over the entire set of fixtures.

RedDevil17

I do not normally pick on other people's posts nor will I criticise someone's view of any player
BUT this seems a pick on Reddick post. You mention certain playerS yet only mention Reddick - why is that?
By no means was it intended to be a pick on Reddick post and I apologise if it sounded that way. I like Reddick and the way he plays (heart, passion and that he sticks up for himself and teammates despite his small stature etc.) I just think he would be better suited as a forward rather than a D man in my view. I just didn’t want to be too critical, but he did make a mistake for their 1st goal. Apart from that he played very well and his smooth speedy skating proved valuable. Every player did exceptionally well overall. They should all take pride and they’ve certainly shown we are not pushovers. Teams are no longer taking us lightly which shows the quality and desire we have.

Last edited:

august04

After taking us lightly last year, there was no way Vaxjo were going to repeat that in this CHL campaign. All the games have been competitive but to progress we had to get more out of the Salzburg fixtures. In my opinion, we were the better team in those games but they never went our way for various reasons. I’m sure Lord will be disappointed with our campaign because I really believe he thought we could qualify and we have been so close against all the teams in our group. I may still hold a grudge and make no apologies for it, but our no.1 D man going home a few days before we started cost us dearly. I believe it was a key reason why we didn’t qualify. That guy really screwed us over.

Hedd Wyn John

I think the Devils played very well, unfortunately the Lakers were just a bit faster & a bit more clinical when it counted. The Devils held their own & did us proud.