Viola arena no more? (IAW is back)

moggy#9

Thread starter #1
I notice that some devils Comms are now referring to Ice arena Wales, rather than the viola - though the website still refers to viola. Has the sponsorship deal come to an end? Also, is it this summer that the peacocks deal finishes?

Last edited:

Samael

As long as the facility remains open l couldnt care what it was called. l get that people like to associate the rink with the club's identity but the most important thing is we have a place for home games, regardless of sponsorship. This thread title needs rewording too. l had heart failure when l saw it and thought it was closing.

moggy#9

Thread starter #9
As long as the facility remains open l couldnt care what it was called. l get that people like to associate the rink with the club's identity but the most important thing is we have a place for home games, regardless of sponsorship. This thread title needs rewording too. l had heart failure when l saw it and thought it was closing.
Apologies for that. I thought about it afterwards and wasn't quite sure how to alter the title.

moggy#9

Thread starter #11
It was 2 or 3 years wasn't it? I assume the dead just ended.
I found the news article announcing the deal. It was a 5 year deal that commenced on 1st December 2018. A quick Google suggests that they have been wound up with liquidators appointed last week according to the www.gazette.co.uk/notice/3538338. Please let know if I've misunderstood any of this. But their website is still there. I'm confused.

A key question here is what this does to the devils income stream. They would have budgeted to have this money for the next few years. I wonder how able they'll be to find another venue sponsor. With the peacocks deal coming to the end of its 3 years, I wonder what impact that has.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

Seeing it lit up as approaching started the excitement. Seeing (or not seeing) a dull building in a grey surrounding dark area looked depressing.
I remember on match night at the WNIR we used to turn on a projector light of the devil's logo that moved around over the pavement until someone stole it from the foyer.
I did say at a meeting not to put it there. DOH!

Last edited:

Kevlar68

So......with sponsorship the money isn't always paid fully up front. This could be a financial blow for Devil's Org. if so on a 5 year deal.

JT666

Talking of companies who seemed to be sponsoring everything at one stage, whatever happened to that betting firm who sponsored the Play Offs?

I assume the marketing managers do their due diligence on these heavily branded companies and take payments up front, but they do seem to fall by the wayside a lot of the time. They must take a huge gamble by blowing mega bucks on sponsorship in the hope that it will pay off, if it doesn’t they end up in liquidation.

august04

I have to disagree with this. Obviously any revenue for the club is vitally important (especially now) but ideally if you’re going to have a stadium sponsor, there needs to be a long term viable partner in place whose name becomes synonymous with the club (classic example being the Emirates stadium and Arsenal), rather than chopping and changing every couple of years. I hope we go down the route of say “Ice Arena Wales sponsored by X,Y,Z”, rather than doing away with the IAW name like we did with this last sponsorship. The name Viola Arena meant nothing to anyone really, you wouldn’t have a clue what the core use of the arena was, nor would anyone driving into Cardiff and seeing the building, which is such a missed opportunity - keep it named as Ice Arena Wales, with a sponsor if one can be found, and get more visibility on the outside of the arena to show exactly what goes on in there (Devils related ideally as we used to do with WNIR, given they are the main tenants).