Webcasts

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
With webcasts being £15 live and that’s what it is,what are the general consensus on watching a webcast a day or two after the event for £5, in other words nothing on the telly tonight wouldn’t mind watching Panthers v Steelers, or Giants v Devils or whoever. They show a minute or so highlights on YouTube for free after the event, but a fiver to see maybe a good game could be pretty neat and maybe a small income. What you guys think.

moggy#9

With webcasts being £15 live and that’s what it is,what are the general consensus on watching a webcast a day or two after the event for £5, in other words nothing on the telly tonight wouldn’t mind watching Panthers v Steelers, or Giants v Devils or whoever. They show a minute or so highlights on YouTube for free after the event, but a fiver to see maybe a good game could be pretty neat and maybe a small income. What you guys think.
I think that would be quite reasonable. I find the highlight packages provided quite frustrating. They'll show the goals, but not incidents like fights, or the penalties which lead to special teams goals. Usually you get no flavour for a game at all.

Temme

I think that would be quite reasonable. I find the highlight packages provided quite frustrating. They'll show the goals, but not incidents like fights, or the penalties which lead to special teams goals. Usually you get no flavour for a game at all.
The NHL app is the absolute worst for this. They leave any big hits, major penalties etc off their highlights.

I think it's a great idea to be able to access the games retrospectively like this though.

Diafol

In the "olden days" most of the webcast providers used to offer this for a couple of quid (IceTime, Clean Cut Sports and 247 etc).
Hell I'm sure I've even paid a fiver before now to watch us play at Sheffield or Belfast the day after the games ?

Wannabe2

Thread starter #5
That’s what I mean, I reckon there would be a okay market out there for it, seeing as there’s so much crap on the tv now, this could be a goer surely. You could access a central hub of games and select your game. Maybe even more so in the off season.

Diafol

Which brings us neatly back to the league-wide streaming season ticket idea.

I reckon there are lots of people who wouldn't touch a single webcast at £15 but would happily pay a monthly subscription for access to all games, similar to the way NHL TV works.

moggy#9

That’s what I mean, I reckon there would be a okay market out there for it, seeing as there’s so much crap on the tv now, this could be a goer surely. You could access a central hub of games and select your game. Maybe even more so in the off season.
I think what needs to happen is for the league to have a unified streaming service. That way you could have the option of buying a streaming season ticket for all your team's matches (or maybe just the away ones). That would also help to get a consistent standard across all teams.

I'd be interested to know what the streaming figures are like for various teams.

moggy#9

Which brings us neatly back to the league-wide streaming season ticket idea.

I reckon there are lots of people who wouldn't touch a single webcast at £15 but would happily pay a monthly subscription for access to all games, similar to the way NHL TV works.
You beat me to it.

Diafol

Having checked on a few club sites it appears that you can actually still do this.
As an example, you can buy the Devils v Blaze game from 9th October for a fiver.

Blaze, Flyers, Panthers and Giants games are also £5.
The Steelers are charging £10 !!!!

Last edited:

Eagles8

Being a Basketball fan and a sport with a similar structure to Ice Hockey as a 'bums on seats' league, the BBL are in a much better position for coverage both on Sky and with a BBL free player. I never really understood why we don't have a EIHL player. Not saying it should be free like BBL but would gladly pay for this service. Last season the BBL did charge £25 pm for all games EIHL could do similar and even blackout the Premier Sports games to keep them happy. I would be interested to know why this business model hasn't been pursued by EIHL? https://www.bblplayer.co.uk/

Wannabe2

Thread starter #12
BBL on sky and not hockey has always confused me, there’s something very wrong communication wise between the EIHL and sky, wonder how many cameras are used in basketball coverage.

E.D.S.

Another one that winds me up... albeit it's an outdoor sport... but county cricket.... can't be more than a hundred people watching it at times and it gets good billing.

The recent Balloon World Cup is another interesting one. WTF?

moggy#9

Another one that winds me up... albeit it's an outdoor sport... but county cricket.... can't be more than a hundred people watching it at times and it gets good billing.

The recent Balloon World Cup is another interesting one. WTF?
Yeah I've always struggled to understand how cricket makes enough money to keep going. I've been to 20/20 and enjoyed it, but the multi day games are beyond my attention span. I once watched a major League Baseball match in Montreal against st Louis. My goodness, there's a sport that needs to be watched whilst drunk.