When Did You Start Watching?

When did you become a Cardiff Devils fan?

• Early years: 1986-1989

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Premier Division days: 1990-1995

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • ISL days: 1996-2001

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • BNL and EIHL in WNIR: 2002-2005

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • BBT: 2006-2015

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Ice Arena Wales: 2016-Present

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

Finny

Thread starter #1
After reading various threads in recent weeks I'm curious as to whether what we all class as 'being entertained' depends on when we became a fan.

Is it a goalfest?
Is it a low-scoring, close game?
Is the Devils physically dominating their opponents, regardless of the score?
Is it the Devils dominating skill and scoreline, regardless of their physicality?
Is it simply winning?

Last edited:

Finny

Thread starter #2
For me, my first game was in 1988 but I didn't become a season ticket holder until 1990.

In those days, we won comfortably and we won a lot. We weren't the weakest team around but we certainly weren't the toughest. Lesser teams would try to bully us but Lawless' philosophy was to take the punches and retaliate by hurting them on the scoreboard when they were in the bin.

kettdevil1

1989 for me and my experience is pretty much the same as Finnys, although, my favourite players over the years, Matulik, McIntyre, Birbraer.... have all played with an edge....

I look for a team that will get me out of my seat, this could be because of a skilled player.... McEwan, Martin etc., or one that comes up with a game changing moment.... a big hit, a sublime pass, a laser of a goal or a coast to coast rush. Or alternatively it is a team that keeps you guessing..... winning is great but.... I like teams that will get me out of my seat.

Ocko

I genuinly cannot remember. Me and my grandfather have tried to work this out, we are fairly certain Steve Moria was playing, so I would assume his final year (on the initial stint) 91/92, as I would've been 4/5. Whichever year it was we became season ticket holders the following year.

What attracted us, and the reason we were entertained; firstly the dominance of the Devils. A big scoreline and seeing a Cardiff team do well. It's always good to support a winning team.

And secondly the sport itself. We always use this to describe to any first timers why hockey is entertaining; football and rugby the ball can be stuck in the middle of the park the entire game, until you're around the box or in the 22 you aren't really attacking. In hockey if you have possesson on the red line you're on the attack so it's very rarely a stalemate and if it is a stalemate it's because teams are going at each other.

We never really had tough guys, other than Shannon and Heavey so the physicality was never a major thing. It was a thing, but not a huge deal.

Wannabe2

1986 for me, watching something I had never watched before, and thinking shit, how good is this, it’s indoors, it doesn’t matter what the weathers like, it’s fast, it’s skilful, and it’s physical, untrue atmosphere and a true feeling of belonging. It was the start of being part of a new family, and I loved every minute of it, as I still do now. Watching heroes who could be your next door neighbor, no egos just good honest athletes, it don’t get much better.

jenks33

I went to a couple of games in the early 90’s but the first year of superleague is when I became a regular. I remember the first game I went to that season, it was just after Halloween and we beat the Newcastle Cobras 5-4, steffen Ziesche scores a couple. I went to most home games after that and it was a pretty good season to start going regularly.

kingmo19.1

Fond memories ..... 88-89 season (Heineken Division 1). Was in Cardiff doing some shopping and noticed a load of people wandering towards the WNIR. Thought I'd follow the crowd to see what all the fuss was about. Managed to buy a standing ticket and stood behind the restaurant end goal not knowing what to expect. It was Devils v Slough Jets and we won 5-4 if I remember correctly.

Foxy

Dad dragged the whole family down. He'd watched a bit of ice hockey in London when he was in the TA. Got hooked straight off.

It has changed over the years but I like skilful play. I'm of the lawless mentality though. Make them pay on the scoreboard. Finish the checks yes but I don't need the fights.

E.D.S.

I joined halfway through the first season and got hooked.
I remember by old dear queuing around the block to get tickets for us. She couldn’t afford to take all of us so she got me and my brother a ticket and waited outside. Occasionally the security guards on duty would let her in halfway through the last period. Top door man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caught a game with some friends late season 2004/05. By the start of 2006/07, I was a season ticket holder!
It was also the 2004/2005 season I attended my first game, I was already watching/following the NHL but had never been to an actual game - it was love at first sight

drainage

After reading various threads in recent weeks I'm curious as to whether what we all class as 'being entertained' depends on when we became a fan.

Is it a goalfest?
Is it a low-scoring, close game?
Is the Devils physically dominating their opponents, regardless of the score?
Is it the Devils dominating skill and scoreline, regardless of their physicality?
Is it simply winning?
For me in late 86 it was new it was fast it was exciting and we won a lot ! So probably started out as glory hunter but stuck with it and learnt to appreciate more than a winning score line. Still remeber playing Lee Valley and a certain D McEwen ripping us apart he thankfully signed for us next season !!

Bazza

I remember going to watch a few games in the first couple of seasons along with a few of the Cardiff Mets American Football team guys. We had a few Canadian imports of our own so hockey became our winter sport to follow and had a number of joint events during Super Bowl nights etc.

There were a few of my soccer mates who were big fans immediately and called themselves "The Supreme Soviets" (Andy Davies and the Atkins brothers - and I know they still go!) - they used to wear Russian jerseys with fictitious players names like Likitov etc (guess the others!) and they sponsored my Mets jersey - I had a Soviet flag sewn on my shirt! Was fun explaining that!

Got back into following properly at BBT as my sister and brother in law had been season ticket holders for decades! Plus my boys started to play so seemed only right to watch again.

Highlight of the week now is Devils game....

JC23

First ever games for me were in the early 90’s at WNIR.
Was still a child back then. Thankful to have been shown ice hockey as a sport from a very very young age.

Ejercito Rojas

I remember going to watch a few games in the first couple of seasons along with a few of the Cardiff Mets American Football team guys. We had a few Canadian imports of our own so hockey became our winter sport to follow and had a number of joint events during Super Bowl nights etc.

There were a few of my soccer mates who were big fans immediately and called themselves "The Supreme Soviets" (Andy Davies and the Atkins brothers - and I know they still go!) - they used to wear Russian jerseys with fictitious players names like Likitov etc (guess the others!) and they sponsored my Mets jersey - I had a Soviet flag sewn on my shirt! Was fun explaining that!

Got back into following properly at BBT as my sister and brother in law had been season ticket holders for decades! Plus my boys started to play so seemed only right to watch again.

Highlight of the week now is Devils game....
There was Yuri Likitov......jersey no.69
Sergei Avitov......jersey no.69
and Valeri Tekyatopov.. jersey no.69

First game was Devils v London Racers in the old rink,hell of an experience and was straight back the following weekend and attended for many years, sadly due to my work i’ve Only managed a handful of game over the past 2 years but use icetime tv a lot.

Hedd Wyn John

My first game must have been around 2002, my sister & I got free tickets from school, so went down with my Mam. It was a game vs the Slough Jets, & I thot myself a genius by yelling Slow Jets as an insult. Don’t remember much about the game but the Devils won. My second game was the 19th August 2017, a preseason gamevs Braehead Clan, my brother got tickets and invited me along. The Devils won, I got hooked and have been to almost every game since. Will be buying a season ticket next season. I’ve also bought a ton of Devils merch, so the owners can thank my brother for a revenue boost. My bank manager will curse him.

Bristol Phantoms away....September/October 86 prior to the opening of the WNIR.

I was 4 - and loved being able to do something with my Dad and 2 brothers who I hero-worshipped.

We are a Cardiff City supporting family - but Ninian Park wasn't always the best place to be in mid-80's (for the record my first Cardiff City game was in 1988 against Newport County - if memory serves Jimmy Gilligan scored a hat-trick in a 4-0 win!!).

Similar to a poster above - my Dad grew up in London after the war and watched a lot of quality hockey with North American ex-serviceman playing for teams like Wembley and Brighton.