Which import rests Saturday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rempel16

Thread starter #1
So as KettDevil informed me on the Phil Cook thread (thanks), Saturday's game will be the last of Conboy's ban.

Therefore, an import will need to be sat if Phil is ready to play.

Just wondering if there is an obvious candidate for anyone?

For me, I don't think there is and i would be inclined to keep Myers in net, with Cook travelling with the team and getting an idea of the standard of hockey, before his debut on Sunday.

Good point. After recent results it would be hard to drop anyone. I know Jake was out of the counrty for his VISA and may have missed some training sessions but he's been quite an impact player recently. I would stand by keeping Myers in for the Saturday game and giving Cook his debut to a home crowd.
If there are any players who may be injured then maybe they could have a night off but I'm guessing not one of them would not want to play.

Help me out here. Is Blight on the rosta as an import or brit?

Apparently, he has a British Passport and it was only his age which acted as a barrier to him playing for GB in the recent tournament. If he is down as an import - why can't we reassign him as a brit - problem solved

James

Administrator
Steve56 said:

Apparently, he has a British Passport and it was only his age which acted as a barrier to him playing for GB in the recent tournament. If he is down as an import - why can't we reassign him as a brit - problem solved
Import status and GB eligibility are completely unrelated. GB eligibility will be down to his dual passport and number of years playing here, Import status is down to which countries junior setup he went through. There are British players who count as imports as they grew up and learnt their trade in North America.

Sheincar

Steve56 said:

His age has nothing to do with his non-qualification yet for GB. He qualifies once he's lived here for 2 years. However for EIHL he will remain classified as an import.

Sheincar

As Cook has only played 112 minutes in his 3 games for the Rivermen I believe goalie duties should be shared with Myers as was done with Lyle/Wood & Lyle/Herlofsky. TBH I'm not convinced Cook is any better than what we already have & feel he should be the one to sit out.

Ocko

Sheincar said:
TBH I'm not convinced Cook is any better than what we already have & feel he should be the one to sit out.
Disagree completely. Whilst I don't believe Cook has a great pedigree there is no way Joe would have been anywhere near a NCAA uni team or a SAHL contract. If he wasn't a local lad who played for peanuts he wouldn't be playing for us either, he had almost no junior career and didn't have any good ENL or EPL seasons.

Sheincar

Ocko said:
Sheincar said:
TBH I'm not convinced Cook is any better than what we already have & feel he should be the one to sit out.
Disagree completely. Whilst I don't believe Cook has a great pedigree there is no way Joe would have been anywhere near a NCAA uni team or a SAHL contract. If he wasn't a local lad who played for peanuts he wouldn't be playing for us either, he had almost no junior career and didn't have any good ENL or EPL seasons.
So which import are you prepared to drop?

Ocko

In all honesty I don't know. There is much more to it than saying this player is better than this one etc. some players may be playing through knocks, might not have trained well at all. There's more to factor in than just ability that only a coach will know. For example morissette has been out of the country this week, that might effect him.

I disagreed with your comment about him not being much better than we already got because the selection part I just don't know.

Sheincar

Ocko said:
In all honesty I don't know. There is much more to it than saying this player is better than this one etc. some players may be playing through knocks, might not have trained well at all. There's more to factor in than just ability that only a coach will know. For example morissette has been out of the country this week, that might effect him.

I disagreed with your comment about him not being much better than we already got because the selection part I just don't know.
As I said he's only played 112 minutes of 3 games so he's been pulled at least twice. He's been in a new country 5 minutes, barely met his teammates and has a double header of the Squealers. We need to drop an import so use Joe on Saturday & Cook on Sunday.

Sliput

Sheincar said:
Ocko said:

As I said he's only played 112 minutes of 3 games so he's been pulled at least twice. He's been in a new country 5 minutes, barely met his teammates and has a double header of the Squealers. We need to drop an import so use Joe on Saturday & Cook on Sunday.
How do you know he was pulled ? Maybe he got injured or maybe his team were well infront and wanted to give the backup some time in nets ??

Plenty of players land and play within 24 hrs with new team mates !!!

ASHIPP

It's a no brainer for me. Phil to sit out Saturday...another day to acclimitise and he can study Steelers style from the bench at the House of Rust.
Joe's confidence is high right now and has played several solid games. Play him on Saturday and Phil makes his debut at home on Sunday.

KaneDevils

How do you know he was pulled ? Maybe he got injured or maybe his team were well infront and wanted to give the backup some time in nets ??
All very likely, but he was released after the three games. That would suggest he was pulled due to performance.

Sheincar

"The Wheaton, Illinois native also compiled a 4.83 goals against average (GAA) and a save percentage of .833. He was pulled from back-to-back starts at home prior to his release."

Ocko

But him being pulled doesn't mean Joe is any better. I don't want to come across disrespectful to Joe because he has given his all but he isn't even a starter at ENL level. He is getting better yes, but he would never even be considered for the leagues that Cook has been in so you just cannot say he isn't better than what we've already got.

Sheincar

To me it means he's suspect. To get 3 starts, be pulled in 2 games & then released does not fill me with confidence. I may well be proved wrong but at the moment I'm not convinced. I fully appreciate that there's not a shedload of goalies waiting for the call from the Mad Hatter but is this guy the answer?

KaneDevils

Your both right in what your saying, due to wage restrictions, Cook is a gamble, but one that could come off.
He will be eager to impress, so lets get behind him and hope he does just that.
I think he will be a better prospect than Joe, both now and in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.