Which team has been the best?

Gazr76

Thread starter #1
As we've got some hockey downtime I was interested in your answers to a question. Since IAW/Viola opened its doors, which Cardiff Devils team do you think has been the best? I think for me it's the team which competed in the 2018-2019 season.

moggy#9

I think another worthwhile question is how these teams match up to those of the ISL era. For me, those still have the edge due to factors like goal tending.

august04

The team that I liked watching the most since IAW opened was 16/17. I’m not sure if they’d be considered the best team but I’ll go with that year. To be perfectly honest, for me, the entertainment level has more often than not been pretty low this past few years. I found myself enjoying our style of play less and less each year. That hasn’t translated into my enjoyment of watching other leagues though, so can’t blame it all on the way the game has changed. I was actually looking forward to perhaps a new approach this year, but looks like I’ll have to wait for that now!

moggy#9

The team that I liked watching the most since IAW opened was 16/17. I’m not sure if they’d be considered the best team but I’ll go with that year. To be perfectly honest, for me, the entertainment level has more often than not been pretty low this past few years. I found myself enjoying our style of play less and less each year. That hasn’t translated into my enjoyment of watching other leagues though, so can’t blame it all on the way the game has changed. I was actually looking forward to perhaps a new approach this year, but looks like I’ll have to wait for that now!
I'm hoping to supplement NHL, khl and shl on freesport with some DEL (and maybe Austrian or Swiss) of I can find a reliable way to stream them. It'll be interesting to compare the styles what adopting a team in each. If anyone is interested, both the DEL and Swiss leagues have apps and very good web sites.

moggy#9

The ISL era was certainly more entertaining, more characters in the game, far tougher,great goaltending. Good TV coverage, Miss it a lot.
Oh yeah, the greats on our teams go without saying, but other teams had guys who were great to watch because you knew something would happen. Mark Bernard and Paxton schulte (one of my favourite non devils) at Bracknell, Cranston at Sheffield, and that git Lambert at Nottingham to name a few. Funnily enough many of them seemed to be quite subdued when under the watchful eye of Mr macWilliam.

BostonBart22

Oh yeah, the greats on our teams go without saying, but other teams had guys who were great to watch because you knew something would happen. Mark Bernard and Paxton schulte (one of my favourite non devils) at Bracknell, Cranston at Sheffield, and that git Lambert at Nottingham to name a few. Funnily enough many of them seemed to be quite subdued when under the watchful eye of Mr macWilliam.
Great era then agreed, you could make a team up of enforcers there were that many in the league, these days its handbags at most with pushing and shoving b4 linos step in and spoil a potential fight.

moggy#9

Great era then agreed, you could make a team up of enforcers there were that many in the league, these days its handbags at most with pushing and shoving b4 linos step in and spoil a potential fight.
The thing is that they had skill too. Schulte was a superb power forward, and I once saw macWilliam score a breakaway coming out of the penalty box at the old Nottingham rink which was as good as anyone in the league.

BostonBart22

The thing is that they had skill too. Schulte was a superb power forward, and I once saw macWilliam score a breakaway coming out of the penalty box at the old Nottingham rink which was as good as anyone in the league.
yes, remember that goal, liked another player who played at bracknell was chris brant, belive he had red indian background, held his own with fights v mc william and ian mcyntyre

Wannabe2

We were certainly spoilt in Cardiff, we had toughness by the bucketloads thru many exciting years, it was few and far between watching a Devils team pushed around. Great days waiting for the next weekend to come around.