Who would you replace

Diablo3

I noticed that Bens stance in goal is different to the last time I saw him play, wonder if his coaches were trying to change the way he plays. Also how much ice time has he had this season? All could be contributing factors.

voth26

Yeah I’m very confident about it from where I heard it
Well I'm hoping your wrong, with respect Ben isn't as good as he was when he was here previously. In fact his last season here he wasnt brilliant by any stretch and gave up a lot of rebounds and soft goals

Devil94

I like bownsy, but I'm really hoping the rumours of him coming back are not true, I don't think he has the motivation any more
Comments like this baffle me. How can anybody know this? What gives people the idea that this is true? Genuinely curious.

Well I'm hoping your wrong, with respect Ben isn't as good as he was when he was here previously. In fact his last season here he wasnt brilliant by any stretch and gave up a lot of rebounds and soft goals
Is that the season we were running away with the league, in what we keep hearing was a much better quality league than we have now? And suddenly he's not good enough? Even though he's been playing in better leagues than ours for the last 2 years?

Kevlar68

Thread starter #68
I think the injury bowns sustained has hampered his agility.
Being a netminders needs you to be 100% injury free due the movement netminders need, if you can't move freely due to an old shoulder, ankle, knee, groin injury etc then your not going to be on top of your game.
Bowns movement for GB seemed labored and off pace.

august04 2.0

Comments like this baffle me. How can anybody know this? What gives people the idea that this is true? Genuinely curious.

Is that the season we were running away with the league, in what we keep hearing was a much better quality league than we have now? And suddenly he's not good enough? Even though he's been playing in better leagues than ours for the last 2 years?
He was letting in at least one or two soft goals that season in most games, but thankfully we had some serious scoring firepower and won more than our fair share of games. He didn’t have a great season in Graz, hampered by serious injury. I didn’t see him play last year but his game time was less and I thought he was average for GB. I appreciate everything he’s done for the Devils but I honestly don’t think he is anywhere near the standard set by Carruth/Besko last season. You can dress it up all you like but that is crystal clear, to me anyway. I’d have him back in tandem with a decent alternative who can fight for a starting spot, but if Bowns is back as our main starting NM, then I’m very worried, even if we do have an extra import.

jenks33

To be fair I remember Bownsy’s last interview with Gareth Huish before he left. Gareth asked him “why leave now?” - He said he had a couple of offers at the end of the previous season (after the Worlds) but he felt it was going to be too much of a rush after the worlds + honeymoon. So it wasn’t really a “I wanted to come back to Cardiff” it was more of a “it was going to be too much of a rush moving abroad after a busy summer so we decided Cardiff was the safest option” Then he went on to say that he’s won everything in the EIHL numerous times (on a personal level and as a Team) so it was another reason to move on.

Now does that mean if Bownsy comes back he definitely won’t be motivated, of course not. But I’m not sure you can blame anybody for having concerns about his motivation. He’s done it all at this level.

And I’ve got to be honest Devil94 I don’t think Bownsy was at his best during that last season with us. I thought he let in a lot of uncharacteristically soft goals throughout the season. He just looked like a goalie that had lost a bit of hunger in my opinion. He had set high standards in previous seasons though in all fairness.

I’m certainly not as opposed to Bownsy returning as some are, I think he’s still a good goalie and seems like a great locker room guy. But I do have my concerns.

Last edited:

moggy#9

Do’u think Myers would even want to come back to the Devils again tho? Obviously he’s from Cardiff and he does have a testimonial lined up but he hasn’t left the Devils under the best circumstances a couple of times now. I would imagine a return to Nottingham or even Swindon are more likely no?
With the new arrangement with Bristol I could see him playing there with the option to come back to help out occasionally.