Wrath of the Knee God

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
There is an update on Wales Online about the Devils ongoing leg-bender issues
Campbell suffered a knee injury and faces a scan to decide the extent of the damage, while Fulton will have another scan on his knee tomorrow.

Hartwick also has a knee problem and it is hoped he will be back soon.

Prpich and MacIver hope to be fit and Welsh forward Lee Cowmeadow is also on his way back from a groin strain.
So hopefully we get Prps back and MacIver wont be out. Less hopeful news about Hartwick as it's gone from 'will definitely play boxing day' to 'back soon'
Full story here

Koop11

Hartwick looked like he was struggling to bend his knee when walking on Boxing Day so I would be amazed if he’s fit anytime soon. I pray McIver is ok otherwise our defence will be under as much pressure as our forwards are.

Thank God we’ve got Spire Healthcare on board this year.

As Koop says the Spire deal is huge, and not only for this season, but in rebuilding our reputation among players for next season - whether it's the same guys coming back or new ones.

All the signs seem to point to Prpich coming back fairly soon, but I'm holding my breath as Terry does seem to have a habit of suggesting players will be back sooner than the reality. That's why the Fulton situation is a worry. He's now having his second scan on an injury which was supposed to be day-to-day. Also hartwick was 'due to return' Boxing Day and now we're looking at a medium term layoff by the looks of it.

I would think it could be at least a short while before we see Fulton, Campbell, and Hartwick. The players are working their socks off at the moment, but I think it'll only be a matter of time before we see more injuries if we keep playing with such a short bench. Terry mentioned we were down to the bare minimum on Saturday (which I assume also explains why we couldn't fight after Voth was thrown out)

I think Koop made the point on another thread that we need replacement forwards before D which I agree with, but if Leclair is available that move should probably be made IMO. I'm not a big fan, but I think he would be a better fit in our D than Cov's and we need any bodies we can get. His lack of physicality is shown up with Cov's lightweight D, but he could have a more offensive role with us.

We clearly need goalscoring (particularly with Prpich needing time after coming back from injury and Fulton out for who nows how long) but I think an extra body is better than no-one at the moment so if Gillies is released by Sheff he may be an option. At least then Latulippe can focus on his offence which was the reason he was brought to the club. At the moment I can't help but think his scoring is being limited by all the defensive duties he is having to carry out.

august04

With a short bench, more injuries are likely to happen, with the increased workload of players double shifting etc. It's inevitable I'm afraid. We need bodies to replace these medium term injuries asap to reduce the probabilty of further injuries due to player fatigue.

kettdevil1

How is Max doing at the moment? Does he fancy a few months back in Cardiff as cover?

The great shame of it all is that at full strength we are a match for anyone, if we can get fit for the playoffs we have a chance...

Big month for G though - I suspect he will have to make some tough decisions about DC, Fulton and perhaps someone else...

Losing DC would be a massive blow to us IMO, hes been hitting like a train all the season and probably has been the most physical punishing presence. I would be very sad to see him go, actually might be my favourite player of the season.

Sliput

nmase20 said:
Losing DC would be a massive blow to us IMO, hes been hitting like a train all the season and probably has been the most physical punishing presence.
Agree with that 100%....but not sure we would find a player like him without a club at the moment.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #10
nmase20 said:
Lets just hope after DC has his scan it doesnt appear to be as bad as first thought
It's as bad as they thought
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/ice ... -22578789/
DEREK Campbell, Cardiff Devils’ fiercely competitive ice hockey forward, has been ruled out for up to two months.

Winger Campbell damaged knee ligaments against Coventry Blaze and has had a hospital scan to check out the extent of the damage.

“It’s bad new because Derek is out for between six and eight weeks,” said head coach Gerad Adams. “We also have Mike Hartwick and Marc Fulton going in for second scans this week.

:(

Koop11

Absolutely gutted about Campbell. 2 months at this stage is the season is a very long time and he will certainly not want to be rushed back. Also, even it his knee repairs (naturally or through an operation/s) he match fitness will be well shy for what is needed for the playoffs. On that rational, I would be amazed if Campbell ices again this season which is crushing for us as he has been one of our most influential forwards.

I would imagine Gerad will almost certainly being looking to replace Campbell.

On the plus side, good to hear that Pripich, Cowie and McIver are now fit to play. I just pray that Hartwick and Fulton make swift recoveries.

Real bad news about DC. It's so frustrating to have so many injuries again within such a short space of time. As much as i'd like us to be loyal to our players who have performed (just like DC) i think replacements are inevitable.

Fulton and Hartwick are a concern. Considering they were relatively short-term injuries, a second scan seems worrying.

Are there any decent Brits out there that would be available???

Rumour in the North-East is that the other Derek Campbell may be available soon. Could do a job on our small ice-pad maybe...

I've only been following ice hockey for two of seasons, is it usual for teams to have this many players injured in one season? or has the tent been built on ancient burial ground and upset the Knee God permanently

Gazza272

I'm slightly worried about the ITC cards mentioned in the article.

In the summer Terry Phillips wrote an article (it was either him or mick holland from the Nottingham paper) saying the ITC limit had been done away with and you could have as many ITC's as you liked.

Now i hope the club arent being put off recruiting by a rule that might not even be in place.

I do wonder that maybe G was deciding not to put the skates back on short term as to not use an ITC card. The dissapointing thing is i doubt the league even know whats going on!

kettdevil1

Fulton and Hartwick are a concern. Considering they were relatively short-term injuries, a second scan seems worrying.

Maybe, maybe not. They might still be in pain (normal for knee injuries) but, this is to check if playing on is likely to cause more damage.

If Hartwick and Fulton get the all clear G might hold on for DC to get fit for the playoffs, if not then I suspect that replcements will be winging in shortly.

We still look to be rather shorthanded for this weekend though. Am I right in thinking that Ben will be off with the GB team sometime soon?