Your Ideal Rink

Having watched a Sparta Praha game I'd have to agree with you, the terraces create an excellent atmosphere, although I think we'd need to borrow about 2000 fans from the Bluebirds every week to make it as good at our games. The cheerleaders / ice scrapers helped too ;)

I went up to Sheffield for our CC game last month, and couldn't get over how good a facility Ice Sheffield is, and that's their 'spare' rink!! :eek:

Excellent ice, perfect seating arrangement and a bar that has a queue. Fantastic place, if we got anything like that (even as a single pad facility) I'd be very happy

As a few people have already mentioned though, we'd be most grateful to get a replica Skydome, which is about as adventurous as I can see PI being

Finny

My ideal rink would be very similar to the Ayr Centrum arena.

I wouldn't start the seating by the plexi - as I find that it's not that great to be sat there.

Ideally I'd have a full bowl, though from a business view you'd probably need one end to have retractable seating so you can use it for a stage for other uses. I quite like the idea of having one smaller terracing end - perhaps that would solve it. Though I can't see it happening.

Either way, I would keep the standing by the plexi glass and ensure the sightlines of the seating weren't affected. We had standing in most of the WNIR and sightlines were very little of a problem.

I would definately, definatel have the walkway at the back of the blocks, and perhaps a bit more standing allowed there. This is also where the TV cameras are situated so as to not cause any problems with seating blocks.
Along the length of the rink on one side (behind the seating and the walkway) I would have a bar overlooking the ice. On the other side I would have a cafe doing the same. Behind the goals and in the corners I would have corporate boxes. Areas of the bar and cafe could also be partitioned off to allow for more corporate areas (like the WNIR did).

Basically 2500 seats, plus 500 standing. Plus additional space in the bar/corporate/cafe so that we could look to go over 3000 in the futue.

I'd just be happy with a rink where the Operator invested a few quid in the place after it's been built, so it doesn't look run down and the ice remains a good quality. I guess I'll just have to keep on dreaming! :lol:

I was thinking about the non-hockey uses of the rink... Am i right in thinking there will need to be some sort of concession for food and drinks at ice level for use during Ice Disco etc. Maybe the Cafe place on the ground floor (where you'd come in, a little way from the ice) and the bar bit above it overlooking the ice. I think Telford have a set up like this, except you come in at bar level and go down. (Telfords rink is fairly dank tho).

As for seating numbers, what about an extra level of seating above that only opens up when we have big games/events/finals?

James

Administrator
Planet Ice seem to have the same menu in all it's rinks (other than Basingstoke which has added rat .. oh and Costa, can we have a Costa Coffee there please). So tepid hot dogs and those vomit cones are probably the best we can expect. I suppose we should be glad they don't do Stovies :x

osh

First and foremost - good sightlines for all seats.
No walkways at the front of seated areas
A good base to provide a very good ice surface
Good equipment to ensure high quality for casual and team skating
I would like to see a terrace area at one end to ensure that those who like to stand can still do so and be next to the plexi without blocking the view of those behind too much. I'm not sure of the regulations in stadiums anymore relating to standing areas, I thought legislation was trying to ensure terraces were done away with ??
Good changing facilities for both teams
Decent permenant camera positions when needed without having to ask regulars to move seats
Decent facilities for disabled/wheelchair users - ramps to reserved areas

That'll do for now!

Capacity for 2,000 / 3,000 /or 4,000....or 5,000......I don't care too much
What I do want are:
1. properly tiered seating, so that paying customers can see the whole rink.....sitting down !
2. AND, a full sized ice pad . I don't really go in for the idea that ice hockey is more of a spectacle, with more 'hitting', if it's placed on 'small' ice. I think an ice pad, with the dimensions of Sheffield, Nottingham, Hull, Braehead or Edinburgh is far more likely to provide an even better spectacle - with 'room' for the speedy skaters, 'time' for the subtleties of the skills of stick handlers and playmakers ......and less of the 'get-it-down' low....dump and chase hockey..... that we have become familiar with in Cardiff ( not so prevalent this season, I will say). The physical aspects of the sport would not be diminished...but the speed and skill elements would be so much enhanced.

I'd really welcome a concerted attempt by all to ensure that we get a large ice pad to showcase the very best in sporting entertainment that ice hockey can provide.