Devils Vs Panthers - League - 12th & 13th Feb 22

Devil94

Took a look at twitter and apparently we are in "meltdown" on the forum. I guess they didn't bother to read the thread as I think it reads disappointed but positive.
It's the lack of perspective and entitlement from some that stands out. No one will argue with someone calling that a poor performance, it was. But from some posts you would think we as The Cardiff Devils should never perform badly, and we are entitled to walk in to any building and take away 2 points. Anything but that is 'embarrassing' or 'disgraceful', two words used on here tonight.

Where as in reality, tonight was 1 game. It's been 18 games since we last played poorly and lost. Christ, if some on here/twitter were Panthers, Stars or Fife fans I don't know how you would cope with the last 2 months.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

It's the lack of perspective and entitlement from some that stands out. No one will argue with someone calling that a poor performance, it was. But from some posts you would think we as The Cardiff Devils should never perform badly, and we are entitled to walk in to any building and take away 2 points. Anything but that is 'embarrassing' or 'disgraceful', two words used on here tonight.

Where as in reality, tonight was 1 game. It's been 18 games since we last played poorly and lost. Christ, if some on here/twitter were Panthers, Stars or Fife fans I don't know how you would cope with the last 2 months.

And to add even more perspective. The change in the we have played after a rocky first half has been as good as it could have possibly been. The results, the style of play, entertainment. These are such good signs in a rebuild season. We are building our identity again. Let's focus on that instead of one loss in a tough building in February, with a third of the season yet to be played.
Tonight was an embarrassing performance and I bet the coach and players wouldn't disagree either. There’s nothing wrong stating that. It was dreadful. That doesn’t mean I expect to turn up in Nottingham and get the points, or that I haven’t enjoyed the play of the team greatly for the past 2 months. I have, it’s been great. And most on here have stated that - but that doesn’t mean you can’t have an opinion when things don’t go well. I say it as I see it, good and bad. If you can’t handle that, don’t read it!

Diablo3

And to add even more perspective. The change in the we have played after a rocky first half has been as good as it could have possibly been. The results, the style of play, entertainment. These are such good signs in a rebuild season. We are building our identity again. We're disappointed of course but let's focus on that instead of one loss in a tough building in February, with a third of the season yet to be played.
Personally, I love the debate, good or bad. It's all part of being a Devils fan. We have been on a great run and we had a great second period yesterday, which makes todays performance seem out of character for the team. I would call that disappointing. Doesn't mean I am in meltdown.

Diafol

1.5 pages for Saturdays win, now we’re up to 10 for a loss,
No shocks there.
This is The Inferno after all.
This isn't exactly a new phenomenon.

I'm just glad I don't bother with Twitter much since I discovered you can get score updates elsewhere.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

I think most people are criticising the performance and not saying we have a shit team. This team has been great the last 2 months but there were a massive amount of mistakes in that game. I think accepting that we will probably not win the league is probably realistic rather than pessimistic or negative. If Sheffield win their games in hand they will be 12 points ahead of us.
2nd place is still slightly possible but its not in our hands as we don't play Belfast any more this season. They need to lose 4 games and have to play Sheffield 5 times while we don't drop anymore points. But Belfast lost to Dundee recently so anything is possible.
But I think a prediction of 3rd place is fair.

I think there a small chance of winning the CC and a reasonable chance of winning the playoffs.
If we get any trophies it will still be quite something for a rebuild team.

Rempel16

No shocks there.
This is The Inferno after all.
This isn't exactly a new phenomenon.

I'm just glad I don't bother with Twitter much since I discovered you can get score updates elsewhere.
It's also the case on the forum of the majority of sports teams. It's natural, both in sport and in life to complain more about a negative experience than to boast about a positive experience,

For some reason the Inferno gets more criticism than most for it, which I don't understand. Sometimes for the flack it gets I wonder why James and Chris bother to put in the hard work to keep it going. Very grateful to them for doing so.

jenks33

It's also the case on the forum of the majority of sports teams. It's natural, both in sport and in life to complain more about a negative experience than to boast about a positive experience,

For some reason the Inferno gets more criticism than most for it, which I don't understand. Sometimes for the flack it gets I wonder why James and Chris bother to put in the hard work to keep it going. Very grateful to them for doing so.
Bizarre isn’t it? How some people think it’s just an inferno thing. I go on Rugby, Football, cricket forums and it’s the same in all sports. If your team wins there’s a couple of pages of replies and if your team loses there’s 10 pages. I’m not saying it’s right but that’s just the way it is. Fans are more likely to post online if they’re frustrated with a performance/result.

Kevlar68

Exactly the same on any forum I think. I write for tripadvisor and if you get a positive topic it runs out of steam fast where as a negative topic can last for weeks. You should see it when someone can't get a full English, fish and chips or find a British bar selling British food abroad.
I'll say this though The Inferno is most probably the least toxic forum I've been involved in.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="If we get any trophies it will still be quite something for a rebuild team.[/QUOTE]

How many rebuild teams are there in the EIHL? Be interesting to see how many teams have had new players come in.

Wannabe2

And yet Joey Martin totalled 67 points in his 1st year, yet we held onto him for 6 seasons. The attraction of this club and this City is very strong, also we have the extra attractions of University Degrees. It wouldn’t surprise me if it went either way, but he is surely something special.

kingmo19.1

With the amount of upheaval we’ve had since Lordo left in terms of player numbers I’d have settled for 3rd at the start of the season. We’re currently 3rd but not a million miles from Belfast so I’m happy as I know we can push on from this next season.

Although last night was pants, Skalde and the boys (overall) have done a good job.

My only regret for this season was we didn’t replace DuPont and O’Connor early enough - if we had, we possibly could have been in a better position now.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #196
Thanks. I do wonder sometimes, especially as it costs us money to run :D The only thing as certain as a loss having a longer thread than a win is someone pointing it out.

moggy#9

Thanks. I do wonder sometimes, especially as it costs us money to run :D The only thing as certain as a loss having a longer thread than a win is someone pointing it out.
Despite some of the naysayers, you should be aware of how appreciated this forum is by those of us who are regulars. I'm half expecting you to turn up on Wally's webcast at some point. Stuff like this is the glue that binds the hockey community together.

Rempel16

Perhaps now would be a good time to throw out the request for funding of running costs - could even put it on twitter so that the dickheads who jump on here to find posts to mock could front up and fund their own enjoyment.

Mazzoak

Exactly the same on any forum I think. I write for tripadvisor and if you get a positive topic it runs out of steam fast where as a negative topic can last for weeks. You should see it when someone can't get a full English, fish and chips or find a British bar selling British food abroad.
I'll say this though The Inferno is most probably the least toxic forum I've been involved in.
You should read some of the Forums for Europeans coming to the U.K. l thought we complained about food, we’ve nothing on some Mediterranean countries.