Giants Vs Devils - Challenge Cup Final - 16th March 22

Wannabe2

Thread starter #21
I am hoping for a full squad today, but that’s a guess and a wish not something I know. Really looking forward to it and wish I was there, hopefully our amazing fans will get the place rocking and it’s a great game. So let’s do this guys, let’s turn up with our A game.

jenks33

I am hoping for a full squad today, but that’s a guess and a wish not something I know. Really looking forward to it and wish I was there, hopefully our amazing fans will get the place rocking and it’s a great game. So let’s do this guys, let’s turn up with our A game.
Where we’re lucky (lucky regarding injuries) is the 9 remaining league games after tonight are pretty meaningless for us so we can afford to take a risk with injuries tonight. Obviously depending on how bad the injuries are. If anybody is 50/50 I think they’ll play

moggy#9

The devils simply can't afford to go behind in this match. If they can score early and frustrate the giants theme they can take the crowd out of the game. Otherwise they're going to have to soak up a lot of pressure. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic (am I ever?).

jenks33

The devils simply can't afford to go behind in this match. If they can score early and frustrate the giants theme they can take the crowd out of the game. Otherwise they're going to have to soak up a lot of pressure. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic (am I ever?).
Stating the obvious but Carruth will have to be our best player tonight. If Carruth plays well we’ve got enough up front to cause them problems. I think Belfast will come out fast in the opening 10 minutes and if we concede a couple early on it could be game over.

jenks33

Glass half empty attitude but I think 4 D is asking a bit too much of us. I assume Crandall will go back on D right? Still a very tall order tho against the giants away. Lose another D man during the game and it could get very ugly

Hedd Wyn John

Glass half empty attitude but I think 4 D is asking a bit too much of us. I assume Crandall will go back on D right? Still a very tall order tho against the giants away. Lose another D man during the game and it could get very ugly
Crondall playing D massively weakens our offense. Either way I just don't see how we win tonight with only 4D. The team are gonna have to play the game of their lives I think.

Feeling a bit depressed now when I was excited earlier.

Jonesy83

4D is a HUGE ask, but look at what we did against Coventry on Saturday.

2 good lines of Register & Richie / Batchy & Big Lou. Regular partners, doing frequent shifts on the ice together, hopefully gets them in the zone and laser focused. The intensity of a cup final and losing steam / energy by 3rd period my biggest worry.

For me this is a game that Mac is going to have to carry on his shoulders, he needs to have a near flawless performance tonight for us to have any chance of bring that trophy back to Cardiff.

Last edited:

sjkelly07

Crandall is starting alongside Dixon and Reid, opening line. Discipline is gonna be huge for the Defence, as you say, lose another and we're screwed

moggy#9

2 good lines of Register & Richie / Batchy & Big Lou. Regular partners, doing frequent shifts on the ice together, hopefully gets them in the zone and laser focused. The intensity of a cup final and losing steam / energy by 3rd period my biggest worry.

For me this is a game that Mac is going to have to carry on his shoulders, he needs to have a near flawless performance tonight for us to have any chance of being that trophy back to Cardiff.
Not disrespect to Coventry, but they're not Belfast.

Swarley

I'm not expecting a win, we are short benched, carrying injuries, in a barn where we've been done over twice by a laptop tech influencing calls.

I'll be absolutely surprised if we come out of this with any players left as I think Belfast will be looking to smash what's left of our team into bits.

We are backed into a real tight corner so what ever happens tonight I'm still gonna be proud they went out and did their best.

Hedd Wyn John

For me this is a game that Mac is going to have to carry on his shoulders, he needs to have a near flawless performance tonight for us to have any chance of bring that trophy back to Cardiff.
No disrespect to Coventry but they aren't Belfast. You're right though Mac will need to stand on his head tonight.

jenks33

Crondall playing D massively weakens our offense. Either way I just don't see how we win tonight with only 4D. The team are gonna have to play the game of their lives I think.

Feeling a bit depressed now when I was excited earlier.
Yeah it’s a shame. This would be a great contest with two full strength rosters but 4 Dmen kills us. Playing half the game in Belfast with only 4D would be tough but we’ve got to play 60 minutes with only 4 D! Carruth is going to have to play the game of his life and we’re going to have to be so clinical with our chances.