Devils Vs Storm - League - 13th Nov 22 - 18:00 FO

august04 2.0

I found that quite hard work to watch to be honest but a win is a win, against a very, very limited Storm outfit. Did it tell me anything different? Not really, the heart of that team is Brandt, Waller, Duggan and Davies (would add Coughler to that list if he was playing). They are the guys that give their all most games and were very effective again tonight. After a soft first goal, Kozun recovered well and I’d give him the chance to get established as our No.1 netminder now. He’s simply looking better than Bowns at the moment. No surprise that we got the win. Forget away wins against the big boys (and some of the smaller teams!), but we can hold our own against most at home. 4th/5th is where I expect us to finish, unless changes are made.

Diablo3

I'm not surprised TK said there will not be wholesale changes, those cost a lot of money if you can find someone to fill the gap. I also don't think we are top of the bottom feeders either. Tonights performance showed signs of the management laying down the law and the players finally responding. Time will tell if wins can bring the confidence this team needs.

As for the game, nervous first period, but then went on to dominate the game. Duggan and Brandt both answered the bell with the whole team showing more passion. Richie was absent along with Cougs so we were rotating the D. That actually seemed to make things better at the back.

I also don't accept TK doesn't give a crap about the fans, that's just wrong. He lives and breaths this club and its fans.

We have some light relief next weekend where the guys can forget the league, go out there and have some fun in the Conti lets see where that gets us.

E.D.S.

I think with Todd it is more a case of he will not have fans telling him what to do - and rightfully so.
Isn’t that a given though? I really don’t think that’s the case at all. I can’t imagine any one on here genuinely believing that a few arm chairs coaches demanding this or that changes are actually going to be listened to by the organisation.
If you’re referring to this forum then it feels like an odd thing to say when this forum is for fans to discuss the team, players and all things Devils - not for Todd to sit with a pen paper searching through the posts to see if we have any good ideas.

moggy#9

In the programme Todd took a poke at everyone who said they wanted changes. "the sky has not fallen, our season is not over, we aren't going to fire the whole team or the coaching staff". His message is clear "we are going to get our s*** together and get back to work" - assume that happened tonight and not last night - so I think it's a case of either accept where we are like the management/organisation have and keep spending your hockey dollars at Ice Arena Wales or forever write about what needs to change knowing that it won't change. I find it a tad insulting, I don't recall anyone asking for the "whole team to be fired." It's a bit petulant from Todd which I know he can be at times. I'd like a bit more from him but mocking fans who want to see changes isn't the way to gloss over the dross we pay to watch.

Interestingly he also went on to say "its not the first time we collectively played bad and lost and unfortunately it wont be the last". Personally, I'd prefer he came out and apologised to the fans and those that paid hard earned money to travel and watch it. Still lacking an apology or ownership of the embarrassing loss.

But please remember - our powerplay is improving!!!
Wow. Taking responsibility and accountability not things then. Perhaps what's worse is not recognizing that there's even a problem.

Slartibartfast

What did those who were watching think of those performance? Was it enough to paper over the cracks, or have we just found our level?
It was definitely an improved performance but Manchester were very mediocre. Although that was a fairly good performance I don't think it would beat Belfast Guilford Sheffield or Coventry.
The first goal was the same atrocious defence we have got used to and I thought here we go. That carried on for half of the first period but Kozun kept us in it.
During the break it looked like Dupont put them all on 2 weeks notice because they all stepped it up for the second and totally dominated Storm.
Louis was immense for most of the game.
The SMC line were amazing. Sanford particularly is still on fire.
Waller was incredible. He is such a good finisher and now has the same number of goals as Brodie Reid.
Speaking of which, Crandall Reid and Penny did produce a lot of shots with Reid shooting several from the slot. But Reids shot seems to be out of calibration this season and that line produced no points so is still a concern. I think they also conceded the goal.
I thought Brittain played well. He is great puck protector and got assists on both of Wallers goals. Crawford and Thompson played a bit more physical but they don't look comfortable playing that game.
Brandt is just a legend. Great fight and an assist.
If thats our level then we will be mid table but I really believe that this team can play a lot better and have no shortage of talent. If they all give 100% and they can find someone who makes Crandall and Reid produce again then we could challenge for top 3. I still think we need at least one change in D and one forward though. (and possibly a coach)

TL91

For what it’s worth, we can talk about finding our level, but, at the same time, we have to start somewhere. Team grew in confidence as the game went on and you can call it a mediocre Storm outfit but you could also argue we stopped them from getting going? They’ve picked up some very decent results this season already. If the team shows similar work rate and desire in every other game, along with some tweaks/line changes (thought Penny, Reid & Crandall looked decent - Reid keeps looking to the sky, looks low on confidence) I think we’ll go well and be competitive. Top of the league? Think it’s beyond our means but there’s a long way to go still.

I must have watched a very different game to Dupont tonight. His interview stating we dominated and were ready from the first puck drop. Storm missed an open net with Kozun sprawling which would have given them a 2-0 lead. Confirms for me that we've very much found our level.

Diablo3

I wouldn't change them, if finances allowed it, I would have a spare D and spare F. then there could be competition for places. Don't deliver you will be benched.

Brandt took the fight with Bricknell following a high stick to Louis and a hit on Penny or Duggan I think. It got the crowd going but it wasn't;t done to get the crowd going. Louis had a word with Bricknell several times and they were chirping each other but being a D man down Louis couldn't really take the fight so Brandt did.
Ahh, I must have missed that from my seat. I stand corrected.

I said at the beginning of the season we should have have signed Bowns , he was best in past seasons but not this season sorry Ben but you are not no1 anymore

Samael

I'm not surprised TK said there will not be wholesale changes, those cost a lot of money if you can find someone to fill the gap. I also don't think we are top of the bottom feeders either. Tonights performance showed signs of the management laying down the law and the players finally responding. Time will tell if wins can bring the confidence this team needs.

As for the game, nervous first period, but then went on to dominate the game. Duggan and Brandt both answered the bell with the whole team showing more passion. Richie was absent along with Cougs so we were rotating the D. That actually seemed to make things better at the back.

I also don't accept TK doesn't give a crap about the fans, that's just wrong. He lives and breaths this club and its fans.

We have some light relief next weekend where the guys can forget the league, go out there and have some fun in the Conti lets see where that gets us.
I've said it before, Kelman is a smart man. He speaks well in public and he got his degree in business at Belfast uni. Of course he cares about the fans, it's where his wages come from. He has manned up and admitted where mistakes have been made previously, l guess because we've been here before that isn't coming now as they probably think these performances are acceptable and people will still pay top dollar to watch his product. Hopefully he's posting I told you so letters to the fans in the end of March programmes. I don't expect us to win any silverware this year, l do expect the squad though to at least appear to give a shit. Both on and off the ice. Tonight's response from the team was a day overdue.

Two things have become apparent to me this year. We have gotten lazy and we got arrogant. Opposition fans would likely argue we have been arrogant for a few years l suppose. If we just carry on as we are a few more years of 'Threebuilds' are on the cards and l see sellouts being a thing of the past even in our unambitious current little home.

Samael

Sorry buddy but what does our unambitious current little home mean, can you explain please.
Pretty clear what it means Glynne. I know where this will end up and l don't want to start you off another one of your sorac rants so let's not go there.

I think if we did have facilities the size and quality of Nottingham, Sheffield or Belfast we wouldn't be filling it anyway this year. Not when the on ice product isn't up to standard either. Trouble is people got used to being in a pokey little shit hole so the iaw was palatial by comparison. I don't want to get used to mediocrity and watch us slide back down and become Coventry Blaze 2.0 which is exactly where l see us heading given the current regime.

kingmo19.1

Fellow Devils fans and comrades! Tonight’s win May patch over the deficiencies of a relatively mediocre team, but let’s rejoice and celebrate the fact that we may not have the best team in the league this year, but we sure have got the best gantry in the league!

When it comes to gantry’s ……

WE ARE NO 1, SAY WE ARE NO 1 !!!!
WE ARE NO 1, SAY WE ARE NO 1 !!!!