Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2023/24

moggy#9

I think that might be Rymsha by the looks of it. I can see Crawford returning so Crawford paired with Rymsha and then Richie with Jardine/new guy?
I'm not sure about rymsha filling that role. I've only seen one video of him fighting and he looked less than dominant. His penalty totals haven't seemed massively high either.

Wannabe2

Not a fan of Crawford returning , to much of a pussy for me if you can’t back up your cheap shots then don’t do them. He will return but not my cup of tea, yes you will all come back with he had a thousand assists, but I don’t do cowardly team mates, never have done never will do.

Last edited:

Devil94

Louis has been a very loyal servant and was a fantastic player at this level. If he doesn't come back then I won't have many complaints as I think the timing is right to move on. Don't want to go a season too long and could tell last year he wasn't the player he used to be. Would be good if he can stay at the club in some capacity.

I don't think we need a like for like replacement, a big body sure but not someone of that toughnes level. It's rather wasted in today's game. I would prefer someone like Rymsha who is big but can contribute more offensively.

As for Crawford, I couldn't disagree more with the rather silly post above. He's at the top of my list for returnees.

moggy#9

Louis has been a very loyal servant and was a fantastic player at this level. If he doesn't come back then I won't have many complaints as I think the timing is right to move on. Don't want to go a season too long and could tell last year he wasn't the player he used to be. Would be good if he can stay at the club in some capacity.

I don't think we need a like for like replacement, a big body sure but not someone of that toughnes level. It's rather wasted in today's game. I would prefer someone like Rymsha who is big but can contribute more offensively.

As for Crawford, I couldn't disagree more with the rather silly post above. He's at the top of my list for returnees.
One of the many things the team was criticised for last season was not standing up to opponents who took liberties with our top players. Those stars won't be able to flourish without some degree of protection. Whilst the role of tough guy might have diminished, it's not gone. From what I've seen of rymsha I'm not convinced he would replace what Louis provided.

Devil94

One of the many things the team was criticised for last season was not standing up to opponents who took liberties with our top players. Those stars won't be able to flourish without some degree of protection. Whilst the role of tough guy might have diminished, it's not gone. From what I've seen of rymsha I'm not convinced he would replace what Louis provided.
No he wouldn't provide the toughness that Louis did, but would provide more in other, more important areas.
I don't buy the argument that we're being bullied or there's liberties being taken against us. It's being said almost every season and from what I've seen it's very rarely the case. The stats would agree with that too, with number of fights, PIMS etc.

Rempel16

No he wouldn't provide the toughness that Louis did, but would provide more in other, more important areas.
I don't buy the argument that we're being bullied or there's liberties being taken against us. It's being said almost every season and from what I've seen it's very rarely the case. The stats would agree with that too, with number of fights, PIMS etc.
I wouldn’t say it would show in the stats of games. It comes from visibly seeing players not sticking up for each other, playing within themselves and, perhaps most importantly, opposition taking runs at players.

CC quarter final second leg was the biggest case in point. Louis wasn’t playing and it was very evident that the Steelers were aware. There were cheap shots all over the place and culminated in Sam Jones, a third pairing Brit, taking a run at Joey Martin, our star guy.

I agree that we need a guy who can contribute, but that toughness is very much still needed for me.

Not a fan of Crawford returning , to much of a pussy for me if you can’t back up your cheap shots then don’t do them. He will return but not my cup of tea, yes you will all come back with he had a thousand assists, but I don’t do cowardly shithouse team mates, never have done never will do.
rarely disagree with you Glynne but have to on this one

Swarley

I may be way off but @Swarley seems to have a bit of an inside track with Big Lou…any whispers?
Not for me to say unfortunately, but if Lou is to retire then it would be a big loss as him and Gags are the very last of the enforcers, and a team without Lou is easy pickings in my eyes.

If he goes to another team in the league then I'd question Russells decision to not bring him back because he has a lot to offer a club he's ran through walls for.

Swarley

Lou's season was as great as it could of been due to a coach with no clue, covered his d parter who had the worst season he's ever had at the club and being benched when they needed him on the ice the most.

He's got a lot of gas left in the tank providing the right coach for the job knows how to utilise him.

ASHIPP

I don't know how folk can determine that Big Lou's season last year was disappointing when so many other factors played their part.. Firstly, he had spells of injury and secondly, was benched by a clueless rookie coach who preferred to ice players whose contribution and effort was embarrassing and shameful. Lou's performance was curtailed and we were constantly baffled why that was.

Glad to see the back of those guys.....but never Big Lou. A guy who has given tremendous service to our Club, loved by the fans. I always felt reassured by Lou's cool, measured, menacing gigantic presence patrolling the blue line. It's a massive hole to fill.

...and if he does go, he deserves recognition.

Last edited:

TL91

Not for me to say unfortunately, but if Lou is to retire then it would be a big loss as him and Gags are the very last of the enforcers, and a team without Lou is easy pickings in my eyes.

If he goes to another team in the league then I'd question Russells decision to not bring him back because he has a lot to offer a club he's ran through walls for.
Great politician’s answer and I can’t get a clue either way
Personally, would love to see him back. Think he brings a lot of value to the team and we’d be poorer without him.

Swarley

Great politician’s answer and I can’t get a clue either way
Personally, would love to see him back. Think he brings a lot of value to the team and we’d be poorer without him.
From a personal point of view I would go out of my way to retain him for as long as possible, not just because he's a tough guy and a hell of an enforcer but he had one hell of a season when we first came back after covid, he was faster and seemed to of improved with his stick skills while still maintaining the enforcer role when needed.

Without Lou the club has no real form of defence against rat tactics and dirty hits.

Brandt is a wrecking ball of a player and will drop gloves but in my eyes when a player drops gloves I want the other guy second guessing his life choices and Lou always manages to have them second guessing.

hip check

I wouldn’t say it would show in the stats of games. It comes from visibly seeing players not sticking up for each other, playing within themselves and, perhaps most importantly, opposition taking runs at players.

CC quarter final second leg was the biggest case in point. Louis wasn’t playing and it was very evident that the Steelers were aware. There were cheap shots all over the place and culminated in Sam Jones, a third pairing Brit, taking a run at Joey Martin, our star guy.

I agree that we need a guy who can contribute, but that toughness is very much still needed for me.
Totally agree we certainly need one such player, a tough guy doesn't always have to fight as sometimes 'a word in their ear' can be very effective if delivered by a player that is respected for taking no shite and will react accordingly if the mark is overstepped, don't want any nonsense by opposition players against our smaller/ skilful players, a tough nut is an insurance against such deeds.

TL91

From a personal point of view I would go out of my way to retain him for as long as possible, not just because he's a tough guy and a hell of an enforcer but he had one hell of a season when we first came back after covid, he was faster and seemed to of improved with his stick skills while still maintaining the enforcer role when needed.

Without Lou the club has no real form of defence against rat tactics and dirty hits.

Brandt is a wrecking ball of a player and will drop gloves but in my eyes when a player drops gloves I want the other guy second guessing his life choices and Lou always manages to have them second guessing.
I thought he had a great season off the back of covid too; really stepped it up. Shows he’s got a bit more about him if utilised correctly too.

jenks33

Problem is tho if we’re signing Mosey (and I suspect that will be tonight’s announcement) then he’s likely to be on our bottom D pairing alongside Batch or Louis. I think most of us would prefer a bottom pairing of Mosey and Louis but it sounds like Batch is staying.There’s certainly no room for Batch, Mosey and Lou on next years D if we want to get back to being the number 1 team. It’s 2 out of 3 at most.

ASHIPP

Problem is tho if we’re signing Mosey (and I suspect that will be tonight’s announcement) then he’s likely to be on our bottom D pairing alongside Batch or Louis. I think most of us would prefer a bottom pairing of Mosey and Louis but it sounds like Batch is staying.There’s certainly no room for Batch, Mosey and Lou on next years D if we want to get back to being the number 1 team. It’s 2 out of 3 at most.
How do we know whether Mosey or Batch will be utilised forwards or defencemen?

jenks33

How do we know whether Mosey or Batch will be utilised forwards or defencemen?
Well I thought the same regarding Mosey but hasn’t he played consistently on Defence for quite some time now? Also played as a defencemen for GB under Pete Russell so it would be a slight surprise if he’s used primarily as a forward. And if Batch is back then surely as a Defenceman. Batch as a forward was an experiment a few years ago right? I think Mosey and Batch will be our 3rd D pairing and I can’t say I’m comfortable with it.

Last edited: