Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2023/24

E.D.S.

Sure you can pick out one or two individual examples, but for me it wasn't a running issue throughout the season. And it hasn't been for many seasons. Belfast, Guildford and Sheffield didn't have anybody close to as tough as Mark but they were better than us, and didn't suffer from that physically from what I saw.
I think having some team toughness is very important, but having individual players as tough as Mark is not needed these days. A defenseman which contributes more in other areas and dare I say younger would be more valuable to us going forward. In my opinion.
I've heard the team toughness rhetoric so many times in Cardiff and didn't see much toughness at all. I'd happily have Lou doing what he does and being free to do what he does. He's much more mature in his policing of the game. He doesn't need to drop the gloves but he does need to be let loose and encouraged to play what he sees.

Last edited:

moggy#9

Just having a quick look at some of the players in DEL2 last season. Jake Kelly and ville kolppanen look very good goalie, while Alex tonge or tor immo would look very good on a first line with arniel.

Devils86

I actually don't know who we're announcing today. Above my paygrade unfortunately! I like the way Pete is building the team though.
Ok....so let's break this down...

"Paygrade" sounds like "A-grade" so a top level signing due soon.

"Building" leads to builder, then Bob the Builder. Bob is shorthand for Robert.

From Robert we get robber. So an A-grade Robber.

One of the Hatton Garden boys, or maybe the most famous robbers in history - the Wet Bandits!

One of which is a spit of Andrew 'Marvin' Hotham!

#AnnounceHotham

kingmo19.1

One of the Hatton Garden boys, or maybe the most famous robbers in history - the Wet Bandits!

#AnnounceHotham
Devils86 - a job in Scotland Yard awaits :)

lloyd_jeff

#AnnounceHotham
Maybe it’s Bobbo.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/13136/bobbo-petersson

jenks33

A couple of River Rymsha’s relatives are now following the devils on social media so you’d have to think he’s a probable signing. Any news/rumours about Jardine returning? I think most of us assume Crawford will probably return but I’ve got no idea about Jardine. If I had to guess I don’t think he will be back.

moggy#9

A couple of River Rymsha’s relatives are now following the devils on social media so you’d have to think he’s a probable signing. Any news/rumours about Jardine returning? I think most of us assume Crawford will probably return but I’ve got no idea about Jardine. If I had to guess I don’t think he will be back.
I'm in two minds what to think about jardine. I'd assumed that he'd signed on a multi year contract, and potentially still had something to give. That said, after his injury and his interest in his music, I wondered whether he might call it a day and retire.

It would be a big risk to replace too many off the defence, and I don't think PR likes risks.

jenks33

I'm in two minds what to think about jardine. I'd assumed that he'd signed on a multi year contract, and potentially still had something to give. That said, after his injury and his interest in his music, I wondered whether he might call it a day and retire.

It would be a big risk to replace too many off the defence, and I don't think PR likes risks.
After a slow-ish start I thought he was outstanding throughout the second half of his first season with us. It just didn’t happen for him last season though. Not just his injuries I don’t think he looked that interested. I won’t be too disappointed if we do re-sign him as I hope Pete Russell can rediscover the old Sam Jardine. Does he deserve to return tho? Probably not.

ASHIPP

Would love to see the return of Matt Register. Paired with Richie they would lead our defence. It's unlikely ever to happen, not least after his current team's (Idaho) decent performance in the Kelly Cup rounds and he (not suprisingly) ended up again one of the best defencemen in the ECHL.

A mean game changing maverick with a very high hockey I.Q. A pleasure to watch.

Last edited:

SteveKing

I dont really want to point fingers or name names but I couldn’t be more disappointed in our man Jenks. A marquee signing in Jamie Arniel and nothing from our super sleuth. It’s hard to see a talent like Jenks lose his game right in front of our eyes after so many years of tremendous service.

kingmo19.1

I dont really want to point fingers or name names but I couldn’t be more disappointed in our man Jenks. A marquee signing in Jamie Arniel and nothing from our super sleuth. It’s hard to see a talent like Jenks lose his game right in front of our eyes after so many years of tremendous service.
:). Ouch!
I heard the surveillance van was off the road as it failed it’s MOT! Come on Jenks, time to up your game :)

jenks33

Still bitter about that Drew Paris guess Steve? :). 6 years on and I’m still signing autographs… Arniel was on the back-burner. I’m all in on River Rymsha!

Last edited:

hip check

Would love to see the return of Matt Register. Paired with Richie they would lead our defence. It's unlikely ever to happen, not least after his current team's (Idaho) decent performance in the Kelly Cup rounds and he (not suprisingly) ended up again one of the best defencemen in the ECHL.

A game changing maverick with a very high hockey I.Q. A pleasure to watch.
Completely agree.