2011/2012 Equipment Colour

Thread starter #1
How would you all feel if we took some inspiration from the detroit red wings and went with red equipment (helmet, gloves, shorts) next season? Being the 25th anniversary n'all why not go back to the old days??
Clearly my boredom during the off season is taking my thoughts to bizarre places!

wildthing74

drummer-sean said:
I believe in our very first season we wore green shorts and green helmets!
Yeah they old black and white photos don't show it but the helmets were green in the first year and shorts were green up to the Superleague days.Personally i always thought that looked better and with red helmets made it a very Welsh colour combo.
Whilst I'm now used to the black helmets and shorts,I never really liked them and would be thrilled if we went to the old colours even if it was for the 1 year.

Finny

I'd like to see us going back to using the red helmets, but I always thought the green ones looked awful.
Would be nice to have a bit of green back in the kit somewhere though this season.

wildthing74

Yeah the red ones for me too.It didn't help that them green ones were the cheap Jofa ones that the Europeans used to wear and looked like an egg on the players heads.

Mooney#16

I think if you're prepared to put your hand in your pocket to supply the equipment the Devils would be more than happy to wear whatever colour you all want but as coloured equipment customed for teams comes at a premium price over the standard manufacturers black I think its more than lightly it'll be black again. There was a reason afterall that it changed in the first place. Again a case of economics and would you like a mid table team in Red or a contender in Black.

Mooney#16 said:
Again a case of economics and would you like a mid table team in Red or a contender in Black.
Well, we've had a mid table team in black for years so not much in it really, I dont think we need a custom colour as most equipment comes in a range of colours anyway. I've never personally liked the black trim, but so long as the devils win i dont really care what they're wearing

Thread starter #11
As far as I know with retail equipment red is a readily available colour, albeit not so much so as black. Perhaps it is different when making a team order directly from the manufacturer!?

Mooney#16

I'd say to actually get enough retail purchases of red equipent of the required standard for an entire Pro team you would be very lucky. With Manufacturers import restrictions and other factors it would be near impossible so yes you probably would have to go direct to the Manufactuer and that is where coloured kit gets a hell of a lot more expensive than just your plain old black. Not saying its not a nice idea but its an overhead that unfortunately I think could be justifible cut for the coming season.

To be fair you are looking at a cost of about $50-100 per helmet (if on bulk order) so going by the lower range that gives you 50x17 = $850 for the helmets or max $1700. Then Short covers are prob about £20 a pair so again that equates to about £340. Total bill for that equipment then being between £870-1100 depending on what deal you can get. Now that does sound relatively nominal, but by contrast you could buy 2 players skates for that and also it would be an extra £100 a month you could offer a player for wages or pay for a bus trip to an away game or 2. It all depends on what you have left after signing players on i would say! Also does the team not order new equipment for most the players at the start of each season anyway? So would say the extra cost of $10 per helmet to have red ordered instead of black be that bad? Still, it ultimately all comes down to what is "left in the pot" after the players are signed up i would guess! Would love to see the red come back but equally happy to see us win the league in black equipment!

TheStub

Re: Re: 2011/2012 Equipment Colour

floridadevil said:
BLACK BLACK BLACK!!!!
No 1?

Personally I like the black. Our red and black kits look the most menacing in the league. Start throwing in other colors and we return to the Christmas tree look.

We could do what NJ did last season, and wear our "heritage" kit and auction off the jerseys and equipment? Doubt it would raise the same amount, could be fun for our anniversary season.

Koop11

floridadevil said:
BLACK BLACK BLACK!!!!
Agreed. Intimidating and a classic colour to have on a jersey.

Red, white and BLACK all the way for me. Green on any hockey kit just doesn’t look right for me.

Finny

RED! RED! RED!

One of my all time favourite devils home shirts was the Coca-Cola one in the BNL season which had bits of green. Absolutely beautiful.

It's a shame the polls on here don't work as it would be interesting to see which colours are most popular. My guess is that it would be a 50/50ish split.