2014/2015 - Club shenanigan rumours

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #1
Re: 2014/2015 Rumour Thread of doom!

The speed in which the forum tone can u-turn from 'X' is an absolute must re-signing to superfluous player never ceases to amaze me.

I admire the faith people gave in Whis's ability to sign a team for next year. It's like watching the hockey version of the first two thirds of Pursuit of Happyness. Unless he has just stepped down as Headmaster at Hogwarts I think he has an impossible task. On the bright side for the management, they are doing a fine job in today's PRs of slowly edging him in front of the bus lane ready for the shove.

If the team signed last year had not been under ridiculous management circumstances from the pre-season onwards and had financial and job security lies issued to them the entire season the dreadful results could have been so different. Though I am sure the fact that there seems to be a great demand from other teams for all these useless, pointless guys who finished ninth means that EIHL coaches know collectively nothing and there are some £200 a week studs out there desperate to live in a shoe in Cardiff somewhere.

Finny

ASHIPP said:
We're not stupid enough to believe we will be getting ex-NHL or AHL players...
But we are stupid enough to be told that we sold 500+ season tickets after already being in our best position financially every but we are having our lowest budget and expectations ever?

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #3

ASHIPP said:
Clearly some folks on here havent moved on.
To suggest this is all about not having moved on is disingenuous.

What 'this' is about is the fact that last season will not be an anomaly as long as Ragan is running this Club.

What I think is more detrimental than a few of us pointing out some factual mismanagement is the wilful ignorance by some of all evidence and circumstance of last season. Then there is a failure by the same folk to apply that to the state of the Club financially (not to mention the horrific state the DCF is currently in), factor in the Future Financials deal and ST price and think that there is anything like a bright future under the current regime.

Players still unpaid.
Hugely important operational bills continuously unpaid.
Ticket money fronted up by third party.
Most expensive tickets ever.
On-ice exodus.
Amateur communication and belittling of customers.
Free ice time for EIHL team.

The above are not in dispute.

Our Council have seen fit to provide us, via Greenbank and operationally through Ice Arena Wales, with a superb facility and free ice time to boot.

The embarrassing, immoral, amateur and vindictive manner in which our City and our Club have been and will continue to be represented by the current organisation has given us no hope of a bright future, irrespective of who is Coach or player for this Club.

To suggest that 'it can only get better as we'd never seen it that bad before' is blind hope and nothing else.

Simply view the actions and evidence of last season as a warning. It wasn't our first.

'whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who have ever been, and will ever be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results'

Niccolo Machiavelli

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #5

Mooney#16 said:
That's the criticism covered. What's the solution?
Perhaps accepting one of the offers that has been made at a reasonable price might have solved things. However one cannot reason with someone who is deluded or has a wholly unenlightened view of the Club & sport.

This Club is on a road to destruction once again. The only question is how long it will take and how many will it hurt in the final explosion.

Sadly the solution may be passive - wait until the inevitable happens and pick up the pieces.

ASHIPP

Finny said:
ASHIPP said:
We're not stupid enough to believe we will be getting ex-NHL or AHL players...
But we are stupid enough to be told that we sold 500+ season tickets after already being in our best position financially every but we are having our lowest budget and expectations ever?
The budget for players surely will be intrinsicly and partially linked to the season ticket holder investment.
500 season tickets sold (if that the correct figure) is still down on last year's figures isn't it ? The present the budget must surely be lower until additional income materialises. Presuming other finances are offsetting the debt situation before moving to the new venue.

Like previous seasons, the more season tickets bought, the better chance of additional finances being allocated for the team? Seem to recall a big push on generating sales in the last few offseasons.

Paul Sullivan

Thread starter #7

ASHIPP said:
500 season tickets sold (if that the correct figure) is still down on last year's figures isn't it ?
Only lower than the final figure for the whole off-season sales of 874. Plenty of time left to beat that though.

According to the Club this season's ST offer thus far was 'exceptionally well received' (source:http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/devils-news/2014-15-season-ticket-update/).
Reasonable to take that 'exceptionally well' doesn't mean massively lower than last year (if anything it means up).

Also, allow for the significant increase in cost and those 509 are a lot closer to the revenue of the 874 than they would have been at last year's prices.

Paul Sullivan said:
Our Council have seen fit to provide us, via Greenbank and operationally through Ice Arena Wales, with a superb facility and free ice time to boot.
Are we absolutely sure the complex (Rink, Hotel, ski slope etc etc) is going ahead or is the BBT simply being moved from a prime location, to make way for further housing, to a site that may at some point get built into the plans on Green Banks web site.

Finny

chillee said:
Paul Sullivan said:
Are we absolutely sure the complex (Rink, Hotel, ski slope etc etc) is going ahead or is the BBT simply being moved from a prime location, to make way for further housing, to a site that may at some point get built into the plans on Green Banks web site.
The Ice Rink is 100% going ahead, and if you look at the photos you can see a lot of work has already been done. A lot more than I was expecting.

The hotel and ski slope can't be started until the rink is finished. Seeing as you keep calling Greenbank something different each time I think you may have looked up information on the wrong company and that is what has confused you?

Finny said:
The Ice Rink is 100% going ahead, and if you look at the photos you can see a lot of work has already been done. A lot more than I was expecting.

The hotel and ski slope can't be started until the rink is finished. Seeing as you keep calling Greenbank something different each time I think you may have looked up information on the wrong company and that is what has confused you?
There is no doubt a rink is being built at the current build site, its the rest of the plans in the current PR that concerns me.

What is the reason for delaying the build of the whole complex, surely building the whole development at the same time is well frankly logical when you view the plans, the ice arena is in such close proximity, it is being promoted as the tallest structure in Cardiff, so being so close would affect the rink area.

Just look at the pictures and think. ;)

This all comes from a rumour I heard that the other options have been or about to be changed, possibly shelved, as there is no commercial viability for a ski slope and hotel and use the current BBT for further house development.

What other names have I used ?

The site is

http://www.greenbankpartnerships.com/fu ... ena-wales/

And note the headlines "Full build contract signed for the Ice Arena Wales"

I only hope the plans are to build the rink as planned and not a slightly improved version of the current crap hole.

Have Hope#35

chillee said:
This all comes from a rumour I heard that the other options have been or about to be changed, possibly shelved, as there is no commercial viability for a ski slope and hotel and use the current BBT for further house development.

What other names have I used ?

The site is

http://www.greenbankpartnerships.com/fu ... ena-wales/

And note the headlines "Full build contract signed for the Ice Arena Wales"

I only hope the plans are to build the rink as planned and not a slightly improved version of the current crap hole.
Not really sure what you're worried about to be honest... It all seems perfectly normal to me! They will have a certain amount of funding for each phase of construction in all likeliness, that would explain why they won't build everything at the same time! As for proximity to a tall building... They'll just put hoarding around the back of the Ice Rink and construct high level using cranes (no different to erecting a new skyscraper in London which is very densely populated with buildings). There's also no way that we'd end up with an upgraded BBT in place of the IAW as this type of building wouldn't fit in aesthetically with the vibe they're trying to create in this area... Planning for one wouldn't allow a significantly altered appearance from what was submitted without further applications/amendments! Stop trying to be a scaremonger!!

Its not an issue if the build remains both on schedule and to current plans. I believe a few investors wouldn't be too happy if it all got binned.

I await the announcement of the sponsor and other investors of the arena with baited breath.

Finny

chillee said:
Finny said:

There is no doubt a rink is being built at the current build site, its the rest of the plans in the current PR that concerns me.

What is the reason for delaying the build of the whole complex, surely building the whole development at the same time is well frankly logical when you view the plans, the ice arena is in such close proximity, it is being promoted as the tallest structure in Cardiff, so being so close would affect the rink area.

Just look at the pictures and think. ;)
Two reasons why it's not being built all at once:
1. Cost.
2. They're not allowed. They have to build the arena before they start on the rest of it.

If you're worried that the sk slope etc won't get built then fair enough. I'm not as bothered with that as I am the arena.

Finny is correct.There will be a build programme for the New Rink and Dome.The rink will be built first and then and then they will build out from front to back.Take into account site compound,site welfare issues,health and safety,ground works,etc.
You cannot just scatter gun a serious commercial project like this.
If you look you will see that the piling rig has been operating all over the site to prepare for the foundations for all the buildings.
The project will be built and Devils will have a new arena.

Have Hope#35

chillee said:
Its not an issue if the build remains both on schedule and to current plans. I believe a few investors wouldn't be too happy if it all got binned.

I await the announcement of the sponsor and other investors of the arena with baited breath.
You clearly don't work in or understand the Construction Industry so you need to listen to what people are talking about... It will be built as per the approved drawings and can only be different if a minor amendments application is made! However these drawings would be visible on the Planning Portal. As for investors... That won't be an issue and the rink will be completed!

Have Hope#35 said:
You clearly don't work in or understand the Construction Industry so you need to listen to what people are talking about... It will be built as per the approved drawings and can only be different if a minor amendments application is made! However these drawings would be visible on the Planning Portal. As for investors... That won't be an issue and the rink will be completed!
No I do not work in the building industry.

The responses have been, although a bit aggressive in tone, helpful. I just did some digging, heard a few peeps whispers regarding investors/ments and the future of the project.

I have no doubt an ice rink will be build and that the land around it will be developed.

We all have read the issue regarding season tickets, I thought some might be bright enough to realise the impact the demise of the full development may have on the Devils future financially, If I owned the Devils, reinvested money knowing that the development of the rink would bring more exposure and bums on seats and ultimately repay my investment I'd be OK with that, if then I find the plans changed and that development shelved in place of something less likely to develop my business, I would be looking to minimise my risk, possibly get out and take a hit on the loss.

Now who needs to ask about ST for next yr.

Time for your medication Chillee. I'm surprised you're allowed access to a computer in your secure ward.