2017/18 Bench Size Confirmed...

ASHIPP

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - wonder if the League will have a re-think and make some amendments to this at the next meeting.

trapped

How does this fit with age discrimination and employment law? My union would not be happy with people losing their jobs simply because they are over a certain age! Perhaps an 85 year old judge could advise!
Strictly speaking it is a policy which is discriminatory. However, if it is objectively justifiable and that justification is of public interest in nature, it could be permitted.

For those bored enough to read about it, have a look at http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKSC/2012/16.html Seldon v Clarkson Wright & Jakes, which considered retirement age of Partners to promote staff retention of younger members and also dignity (not performance managing)

I wouldn't want to have to argue that the development of u23 UK hockey players was justifiable grounds...

Kal

The rule should be more about training than age. In football I believe some competitions have a rule that you have to have so many home grown players in your team. Homegrown is defined as a player that has been on a British team for at least 3 years prior to the age of 21.

The homegrown rule encourages bringing talent up. the current rule is very shortsighted and as people have said means potentially talented players will waste away on the bench for a year or so before being dumped when they turn 24.

JC23

If we did that it would have to be with Cardiff Fire which aren't really at the right level yet.
You say this, BUT, the Fire were offered a spot in the EPL for next season, but turned it down due to the risk involved in having a budget that big, when 70% of ice hockey fans in Cardiff haven't made a single game in the two seasons they've been around.