2021/22 Roster - Rumours/Predictions

jenks33

Thread starter #581
We have a fair few Right hands, really looking forward to the season.

My guess

Crandall - Lammon - Reid (Experience)
McNally - Dixon - Davies (Alot of forechecking)
Cox - Sanford - Duggan -
Waller

Mikkelson - Register
Richie - O'Connor (GB pairing, worked on the world stage)
Louis - Batch
Still one more forward signing though, probably Brodie Dupont. So I think the two Brodie’s will be on the first line I’m just not sure who the first line centre will be. Probably Lammon

jenks33

Thread starter #585
Off topic but I’m impressed with Manchester signing Curtis Hamilton. Underachieved slightly in Belfast but I think he will enjoy being the big fish in Manchester. Good stats in the Liiga and Ebel and I think he will enjoy the smaller ice pad in Altrincham

Finny

Well that settles the argument of the last couple of years of “which team has the best British defenceman?”

Despite a dodgy final season at Sheffield, O’Connor is still a top player and a premium Brit. I’d rather have him on my team than playing against him.

Wannabe2

I know some people didn't like jardine, but I thought he got better as the season went on. I certainly preferred him on the ice to reddick. If you look at defence we've downgraded. Obviously the intent is that we more than offset by having the best netminding duo in the league.
Mikkelson 131 NHL games v Fournier loved Fournier but upgrade to Mikkelson for me.
Register v Jardine tough call Jardine improved as the season went on, but for me slight edge to Register.
O’Connor v McMonagle/ Reddick O’Connor pips it for me and being a Brit brings other advantages with him.
Louis v Louis
Batch v Batch
Ritchie v Ritchie
My opinion no downgrading going on there.

moggy#9

Mikkelson 131 NHL games v Fournier loved Fournier but upgrade to Mikkelson for me.
Register v Jardine tough call Jardine improved as the season went on, but for me slight edge to Register.
O’Connor v McMonagle/ Reddick O’Connor pips it for me and being a Brit brings other advantages with him.
Louis v Louis
Batch v Batch
Ritchie v Ritchie
No, mikkelson replaces Morrison. Register replaces fournier. Jardine essentially hasn't been replaced.

Louis v Louis
Batch v Batch
Ritchie v Ritchie
I think you’re comparing Fournier to the wrong guy there.
I believe Mikk is more a stay at home D whereas Register will run PP and more offensive.
For me a straight replacement for Fournier Is very difficult and not exactly what we have, but no complaints from me on what we have

Finny

First time in a while where our D pairings don’t jump out at me.

Usually it’s “Well this guy is our star Dman so we play him with Richardson.” And then the rest fits in after.

Mikkelson should be one of if not the best all-round Dmen in league. But he’s never been a particularly offensive player so that might not be needed.

Louis was at his best when he played alongside Fournier. But I’m not sure how speedy Register is.

One possibility is:
Mikkelson - O’Connor
Register - Louis
Batch - Richardson

This would allow O’Connor to focus on getting forward with Mikkelson playing deeper and making the first out-pass. Louis can look after Register and Richie/Batch have already played with each other. Batch is quite good at carrying the puck forward, knowing that Richardson is backing him up.

Or...
EliteProspects has a comment about Mikkelson not being physical. In which case perhaps:
Mikkelson - Louis
Richardson - O’Connor
Batch - Register
Or do we swap Batch and Richardson......so many options....

Wannabe2

I think you’re comparing Fournier to the wrong guy there.
I believe Mikk is more a stay at home D whereas Register will run PP and more offensive.
For me a straight replacement for Fournier Is very difficult and not exactly what we have, but no complaints from me on what we have
Sorry agree with you there my bad, but no downgrading going on there in my mind,throw in class netminding and then a class act still to be announced yet I reckon and it’s looking very good.

Ocko

Comparing the D this year to what we had 2 seasons ago is an impossible comparison. The whole set up, and with it tactics, of the team has changed completely. Players who might previously of been stars in our team might not have been in this team.

Look at Fournier, he actually had a quite poor season last year. Maybe he wouldn’t be suited to a Skalde team like he would a Lord team - we will never know. So to say is player X better than player Y is impossible. More than in previous years it’s more about the right player than necessarily the ‘best’ player.

Also worth considering the standard in the league might take a dip this year. With a wage cap in place and also less players being available it might not be the level we had in 19/20. That’ll mean the players we have signed might end up having better years than you think.

moggy#9

Comparing the D this year to what we had 2 seasons ago is an impossible comparison. The whole set up, and with it tactics, of the team has changed completely. Players who might previously of been stars in our team might not have been in this team.

Look at Fournier, he actually had a quite poor season last year. Maybe he wouldn’t be suited to a Skalde team like he would a Lord team - we will never know. So to say is player X better than player Y is impossible. More than in previous years it’s more about the right player than necessarily the ‘best’ player.

Also worth considering the standard in the league might take a dip this year. With a wage cap in place and also less players being available it might not be the level we had in 19/20. That’ll mean the players we have signed might end up having better years than you think.
I can't argue with any of that. All valid points.

Finny

Obviously it’s hard to tell without seeing the new players on the ice, but I too don’t see how we have downgraded our D.

For me, if I was to criticise Lord’s recruitment during his time here it would be the D the last two seasons. He never got back to the level of our Championship seasons, although they were very high standards to match.

I wonder if Lord felt the same as that was the area we seemed to change and mixup the most. In our league winning seasons I was always confident that if we took the lead in the final period we’d win. In those last two seasons I was never that confident.

When we were at our best we had an offensive D threat on our 1st line from Hotham and our 2nd from Fournier. Once Hotham retired we never managed to get that second threat from D. Had he not been injured so often Mosey could well have provided it. McMonagle was great on the PP but teams quickly worked out he could be beaten by speed. Jardine improved over the season but ultimately I was expecting more from him.

With O’Connor and Register we now have two offensive Dmen that IMO we’ve desperately lacked.
Mickkelson should finally be the all-round Dman we had with Scott Hotham and Strachan but never quite repeated with No Show/ Blood/ Jardine.

Mazzoak

I’ve read this post several times now and each time it makes less sense than it did previously.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’ve mistyped something and give you the opportunity to clarify what you mean.
Which bit you having difficulty with.....

tim78

Is there definitely another signing, though there are headline articles stating our defense and goal tending are complete but not for the forwards.

Brodie would be an awesome signing.