2023/2024 Season - Positive Outlooks

Thread starter #61
Loving the memories shared on here, keep them coming.
Would loved to have seen the Wembley Final Live but unfortunately that was years before I was aware of the Devils. Watched it during lockdown, amazing atmosphere.
So much to look forward to this season, including as mentioned above, watching Crandall have a belter this year. Also looking for to seeing if our dancing steward at the top of block 18 cracks out some new moves, guy is a legend. Keep an eye on his moves when Jump on it plays, give him a cheer haha

Thread starter #62
Another memory from last season is not necessarily directly linked to our league.
So last season I visited every arena in the league, but during my trip to Scotland decided to add an additional arena, an old friend, Murrayfield Ice Rink. I’d been there the year before and was sad to see it closed down, so was so happy to see it back open last year. Not only that, the Edinburgh Capitals we’re back and playing that weekend, a battle to go top of the Scottish National League against the Aberdeen Lynx. The reception we got when we arrived sporting our Devils jerseys to support an old friend was incredible. The Lynx may have taken the win that night but what a great evening. Here’s to hoping that one day the Capitals will return to Cardiff as part of the Elite League

moggy#9

Another memory from last season is not necessarily directly linked to our league.
So last season I visited every arena in the league, but during my trip to Scotland decided to add an additional arena, an old friend, Murrayfield Ice Rink. I’d been there the year before and was sad to see it closed down, so was so happy to see it back open last year. Not only that, the Edinburgh Capitals we’re back and playing that weekend, a battle to go top of the Scottish National League against the Aberdeen Lynx. The reception we got when we arrived sporting our Devils jerseys to support an old friend was incredible. The Lynx may have taken the win that night but what a great evening. Here’s to hoping that one day the Capitals will return to Cardiff as part of the Elite League
That's a great point about Murrayfield. Many a great encounter there, particularly the year that the devils were invited into the Scottish cup. I've always felt it was criminal how under supported the racers were, even in the days of tony hand. I'd love to see teams representing Edinburgh and Durham competing in the eihl but, sadly, I doubt it's something we'll see anytime soon.

Thread starter #64
That's a great point about Murrayfield. Many a great encounter there, particularly the year that the devils were invited into the Scottish cup. I've always felt it was criminal how under supported the racers were, even in the days of tony hand. I'd love to see teams representing Edinburgh and Durham competing in the eihl but, sadly, I doubt it's something we'll see anytime soon.
Yea, I think the Murrayfield Racers have started back in a smaller league too.
Be great to see Edinburgh Capital back in the league as well as a few more new teams. I think Guildford are the newest team in the league now. Would love to see Leeds Knights join as we then get to revisit our old Big Blue Tent. Never got to experience the atmosphere in there.

moggy#9

Yea, I think the Murrayfield Racers have started back in a smaller league too.
Be great to see Edinburgh Capital back in the league as well as a few more new teams. I think Guildford are the newest team in the league now. Would love to see Leeds Knights join as we then get to revisit our old Big Blue Tent. Never got to experience the atmosphere in there.
Sadly Edinburgh seems to fall into a category, like Blackburn, of having a building very suitable for eihl (moreso than Guildford) but having neither the support nor the finance to make it work. I could however easily see Leeds make the step up.

kingmo19.1

MK Lightning might be a future bet to return, decent arena, good crowds, just need a big sponsor or two! The squad they’ve assembled this season must have cost a few quid compared to their NIHL opponents.

kettdevil1

MK Lightning might be a future bet to return, decent arena, good crowds, just need a big sponsor or two! The squad they’ve assembled this season must have cost a few quid compared to their NIHL opponents.
On paper I would agree but given the comments from owners (and fans), I don't think they will be back. They have settled into the role of a big fish in the second tier. Each time they move up, they struggle so I am not convinced the will is there.

Edinburgh is a different case, the rink is a mess but the expectations are for top tier hockey, the other one I would suggest might come up would be Hull, they have rebuilt impressively and with a new arena on the horizon (touch wood), it would be great to see them back.

Leeds is an interesting one, they smashed the league last year but look significantly weaker this time around. If they manage to hang on at the top then I do wonder whether they might fancy a step up.

moggy#9

On paper I would agree but given the comments from owners (and fans), I don't think they will be back. They have settled into the role of a big fish in the second tier. Each time they move up, they struggle so I am not convinced the will is there.

Edinburgh is a different case, the rink is a mess but the expectations are for top tier hockey, the other one I would suggest might come up would be Hull, they have rebuilt impressively and with a new arena on the horizon (touch wood), it would be great to see them back.

Leeds is an interesting one, they smashed the league last year but look significantly weaker this time around. If they manage to hang on at the top then I do wonder whether they might fancy a step up.
Where have you read about a new arena at hull? I did a quick Google and found stories about the current rink being bailed out and plans for a new one being dropped from a development proposal.

kettdevil1

Where have you read about a new arena at hull? I did a quick Google and found stories about the current rink being bailed out and plans for a new one being dropped from a development proposal.
Getting information is a nightmare as there have been so many false starts and the council's communication appears to be opaque at best. The old rink was redeveloped a couple of years ago, I haven't been back since, but those who have, say it is much better which is good news but as you say, the latest was that they had cancelled plans for the new development.

Having said that.... shortly after that, the council bought some land near the old rink (in 2022) and have been suggested that this is where they are looking to build a replacement. We shall see but there is still hope....

Thread starter #71
Brilliant news hearing that Pete Russell is bringing in some young British players for training camp. A massive boost for British hockey. Really hope we get to see some more on Bayley Harewood this season, like what I've seen so far.
Have to say, the Steve King interview on here is tremendous, how lucky are we to have owners that take the time to do things like this. Supurb!
Something else I'm looking forward to.....Neil Francis jersey being retired to the rafters, if anyone deserves that honour he does. Can only hope.

doron

i don't know if im remembering it right, but did we have a national tournament many many years back?. england scotland wales irland
Or did i dream it?
I'd love to see that on a regular basis.

Thread starter #75
No, it’s not being retired right now but I think he deserves the accolade for his unreal commitment to the club for 30+ years. If not that, maybe name the VIP lounge the Neil Francis Lounge……and while we’re there, maybe the bar can be the Andrew Lord bar. Just a few thoughts.

Kevlar68

I think Franny gets the recognition he deserves already and I'm sure when he retires in years to come there will be something.
As for naming the bar after Lord I think he would deserve a better looking bar than we have now and before even that get some better beers in it.

moggy#9

I think Franny gets the recognition he deserves already and I'm sure when he retires in years to come there will be something.
As for naming the bar after Lord I think he would deserve a better looking bar than we have now and before even that get some better beers in it.
We seem to have this debate every year about a tier of recognition below shirt retirement for players, and for contributions off the ice. Maybe, now that the club has more control, one day it'll happen. It's something that needs a lot of thought, to make sure that the HBL and ISL eras are properly represented though.

ASHIPP

A Wall if Fame was debated on here a while back. For players that had some impact during their time (and deserve recognition) at our Club but do not qualify for jersey retirement.

I am certainly in the camp of retiring Frannie' s jersey....the guy is Mr Devils. Both as a player and his tireless contribution as an Assistant Coach, bench coach and as part of TKs team. He is director status now.

Last edited:

lloyd_jeff

I think a wall of fame is the best way to go, unfortunately the owners of the club have no authority over both the lease holders or owners of the Arena. There’s a reluctance from them to turn the Arena into an ice hockey venue, which would make some sense if the facility had alternative contributors to its viability. Since it doesn’t, painting everything white or purple is bonkers, but we live in a world dictated by idealism that is bent on ignoring the very basic fundamentals of business, that being, don’t piss of the only people paying….

Last edited: