2023/2024 Season - Positive Outlooks

Thread starter #82
Finally…..the day is here. Wish I could go to Belfast, love it there. So, let’s see what Pete Russell and the new team have got…..let’s go Devils!!

moggy#9

I'll be following tonight's game on twitter and on here. £15 for a preseason stream seems crazy. I'll be at the game tomorrow though - those who know me, come and say hello.

Ocko

Something else I'm looking forward to.....Neil Francis jersey being retired to the rafters, if anyone deserves that honour he does. Can only hope.
Definitely not for me. Jersey retirements need to be really exceptional, it’s already a little embarrassing that a club as young as ours already has so many.

moggy#9

Definitely not for me. Jersey retirements need to be really exceptional, it’s already a little embarrassing that a club as young as ours already has so many.
But the number of retired jerseys is a mark off the exceptional loyalty of players in those days and the exceptional success that the club enjoyed. With the exception of Brian Dickson (the circumstances of which were deeply tragic) all of the other retirees performed remarkably over an extended period.

I wouldn't say the Neil francis' contributions on ice hit those levels, though obviously he's played an important part off ice.

Shirt Retirements are for players that one way or another make exceptional contribution on the ice
(Brian Dickson’s 14 being exceptional circumstances) Neil Francis has not made an exceptional contribution on the ice.
He HAS made an exceptional contribution off the ice so some sort of recognition may be in order but NOT retiring no.29!