3rd August

MA18

There’s ALOT going on on that ice pad.
Looks like JD has earned his salary selling all that space. The constant LinkedIn posts were worth it.

Double edged sword isn’t it. We want to be more competitive we need more money, we get more money by bringing in new/more sponsors.

I wonder if players ever loose sight of the puck particularly as it moves over some of the solid black decals.

Diafol

It's all coming back to me now.
The stunned silence during the presentation when the animated puck broke the net said it all.
Didn't Todd say something like "Hey, aren't you gonna cheer ? We scored !"

I didn't have a good look but I think there was a poster in the bar with some of the rejected designs, or "concepts" ?
Were those actually any better ?

Ocko

When we are hamstrung by a small rink so will always have to sell every bit of sponsorship we can. We have a headstart not paying for ice time but that’s only worth at the most about 1k seat sales (circa 20k per game) on what Belfast and Sheffield pay so unfortunately the rink means we have to sell our souls for money.

Sadly, it’s beginning to look like the owners are morphing from being fans to investors. Perhaps the long term viability of the arena is indeed in serious question and it’s time to start looking at making a few bucks before exiting? Does anyone have any idea of how long the lease is for?

Rempel16

Sadly, it’s beginning to look like the owners are morphing from being fans to investors. Perhaps the long term viability of the arena is indeed in serious question and it’s time to start looking at making a few bucks before exiting? Does anyone have any idea of how long the lease is for?
I am pretty sure that at the Q&A with the owners last season Kelman said the lease is for 15 years.

Pleximan

Friday night after the pubs closed more like it. Woke up this morning sweating and shaking hoping it was all a scary nightmare, but no such luck, a lousy shirt, horrific ice, and I am now a season ticket holder for the Cardiff Clan. Even the bluebirds are looking good now. and I haven’t been there for 55 yrs.
Have another look at that rubbish new logo, shouldn't that be the Cardiff Penguins?

I was a Cardiff City ST holder for years before I discovered the ice hockey in '89, my first game being Cardiff Devils v Murrayfield Racers in the old WNIR, a 10-6 win for the Devils if I remember correctly. I was hooked from that first game and have been a Devil diehard fan since, a ST holder for the majority of those years, WNIR, BBT, The Arena. But this logo car crash with no fan consultation whatsoever, it smacks of arrogance by the management, I feel the time is right for me to go back to Cardiff City starting with a trip to the Bluebirds club shop today.

I haven't posted for a while, I went to that clusterfuck ( as Todd would say ) of an evening last night. Todd and the owners gave us fans our club back after ray gun had dragged it down to the lowest its ever been, the new logo is the type of shit Reagan would have needlessly done, now I feel the owners are losing touch with the fans, why change it if it's not broke ? I'm baffled, I'm set in my ways like a lot of the fan base and don't like change, but ffs if a change is needed get it right Todd. I don't know what is worse the new logo or the ice sponsorship, way too busy for my liking but I know it's progress to bring in more money to afford better players , well done JD you've done your job but it's not for me, I'm guessing we'll have an edge over visiting teams having to use a white puck so players can see it over all that black ice. I'd say to Todd you looked both stupid and desperate trying to say there was a C and D incorporated in the logo I was cringing. Lime green tangerine , Todd and owners, take a step back, look at the fans reactions, hold your hands up and admit you've got this horribly wrong, I don't think they will as a little arrogance and complacency is creeping into the club. It's becoming a do as we say attitude towards us fans, interested to know if any other fans feeling like last night setting us back to ragans reign ?

Wannabe2

Thread starter #291
I haven't posted for a while, I went to that clusterfuck ( as Todd would say ) of an evening last night. Todd and the owners gave us fans our club back after ray gun had dragged it down to the lowest its ever been, the new logo is the type of shit Reagan would have needlessly done, now I feel the owners are losing touch with the fans, why change it if it's not broke ? I'm baffled, I'm set in my ways like a lot of the fan base and don't like change, but ffs if a change is needed get it right Todd. I don't know what is worse the new logo or the ice sponsorship, way too busy for my liking but I know it's progress to bring in more money to afford better players , well done JD you've done your job but it's not for me, I'm guessing we'll have an edge over visiting teams having to use a white puck so players can see it over all that black ice. I'd say to Todd you looked both stupid and desperate trying to say there was a C and D incorporated in the logo I was cringing. Lime green tangerine , Todd and owners, take a step back, look at the fans reactions, hold your hands up and admit you've got this horribly wrong, I don't think they will as a little arrogance and complacency is creeping into the club. It's becoming a do as we say attitude towards us fans, interested to know if any other fans feeling like last night setting us back to ragans reign ?
Well said Travis this sums up a lot of what people want to say, but dont have the balls to say,well not on here anyway, but say loads about this crap when in the bar or out and about, it’s not about being insulting it’s about caring, and they done come anymore caring than you buddy. At the end of the day last nights lousy experience was like turning the clock back, and that’s a great great shame. As you say it’s surely about the money fair enough, but that money comes at a cost, I just think many people think their club is drifting away, and for every one that posts their concerns many many more think it.

Gonna nail my colours firmly to the mast here.
This off season needed to be a huge message of intent by the club, firstly to show that what had gone before was not good enough and failure would not be rewarded but also in no small matter that the Club acknowledged that mistakes had been made and lessons had been learned (Ignore your fan base at your peril)!

Off season gets off to a great start by announcing PR as head coach and he puts out a great video interview.
Season ticket deadline day was approaching and many ST holders (myself included) were of the let’s wait and see before recommitting to another season.

The silence from the club was deafening, then on deadline day they announce Arniel. Great signing, message of intent and I renew my ST.
A few underperforming/ injury prone players announced as not returning, another positive move but the injury prone court jester Mosey is rumoured to have r-signed, backward step I think to myself.
We announce Rymsha, another positive, a bit of momentum is building.
Barrow signs, a young guy with potential, great 3rd line winger I think to myself.
We re-sign Sanford and Cox, great news.
Maybe we’re gonna get the 10 or so upgrades that we probably need to be a championship team.
A few more players are rumoured to have signed, Ully, Booth, Donaghey and Busch, all good solid signings.
We just need a big power forward now and Crawford to return I think to myself.
Alas, rumours are rife that Crandall is returning after a poor season and I start to think we are gonna fall short by a couple of players.
Then last night, let’s be honest most on here knew who the last 3 would be weeks if not months ago. Crawford is a class act but the other two fall short of what’s needed.

The ice ( pAdvertising) I don’t have a problem with, busy yes, but we need increased revenue streaming.
The elephant in the room, the Re-Brand! Why??
Re-brand the arena absolutely, but the Devils logo?????
Now I get it that sometimes peoples views on branding can be subjective (personally I never understood the snooker table in our original logo) but you change your team logo/identity for a good reason not a whim and you certainly don’t do it without ’feeling the room’!

Huge momentum killer last night, we conceded short handed goals for fun last season, we conceded a huge one last night!
There is nowhere to hide this season now, there are a lot of ‘pissed off’ fans that need to placated with a winning team!

E.D.S.

Gonna nail my colours firmly to the mast here.
This off season needed to be a huge message of intent by the club, firstly to show that what had gone before was not good enough and failure would not be rewarded but also in no small matter that the Club acknowledged that mistakes had been made and lessons had been learned (Ignore your fan base at your peril)!

Off season gets off to a great start by announcing PR as head coach and he puts out a great video interview.
Season ticket deadline day was approaching and many ST holders (myself included) were of the let’s wait and see before recommitting to another season.

The silence from the club was deafening, then on deadline day they announce Arniel. Great signing, message of intent and I renew my ST.
A few underperforming/ injury prone players announced as not returning, another positive move but the injury prone court jester Mosey is rumoured to have r-signed, backward step I think to myself.
We announce Rymsha, another positive, a bit of momentum is building.
Barrow signs, a young guy with potential, great 3rd line winger I think to myself.
We re-sign Sanford and Cox, great news.
Maybe we’re gonna get the 10 or so upgrades that we probably need to be a championship team.
A few more players are rumoured to have signed, Ully, Booth, Donaghey and Busch, all good solid signings.
We just need a big power forward now and Crawford to return I think to myself.
Alas, rumours are rife that Crandall is returning after a poor season and I start to think we are gonna fall short by a couple of players.
Then last night, let’s be honest most on here knew who the last 3 would be weeks if not months ago. Crawford is a class act but the other two fall short of what’s needed.

The ice ( pAdvertising) I don’t have a problem with, busy yes, but we need increased revenue streaming.
The elephant in the room, the Re-Brand! Why??
Re-brand the arena absolutely, but the Devils logo?????
Now I get it that sometimes peoples views on branding can be subjective (personally I never understood the snooker table in our original logo) but you change your team logo/identity for a good reason not a whim and you certainly don’t do it without ’feeling the room’!

Huge momentum killer last night, we conceded short handed goals for fun last season, we conceded a huge one last night!
There is nowhere to hide this season now, there are a lot of ‘pissed off’ fans that need to placated with a winning team!
This and Travis’ post need to be sent straight to the owners inbox.

Devils86

Looks like JD has earned his salary selling all that space. The constant LinkedIn posts were worth it.

Double edged sword isn’t it. We want to be more competitive we need more money, we get more money by bringing in new/more sponsors.

I wonder if players ever loose sight of the puck particularly as it moves over some of the solid black decals.
Respectfully I would point out that technically/in theory/naively there is a wage cap. So if we are operating a roster at the wage cap level (as has been said for many seasons) then generating more income from the ice sponsorship wouldn't make us more competitive as we couldn't spend above the cap.

What it probably does is make more income to cover our costs like energy and now rent/lease. Or make up for lost revenue from depleted merch sales...

Nb. Noted that the black logos haven't been finished yet. No way is Limegreen Tangerine not going to be lime green.

august04 2.0

We now have a new secondary logo too!
What would have made far more sense to me, would have been to announce the launch of the secondary logo last night, use that for a whole new range of merchandise, or on a third jersey etc., while still keeping the “real” logo as the primary logo. See what the reaction is, monitor new merchandise sales etc. Then announce that a consultation with fans will be undertaken on a new primary logo for next season and go from there. Instead of an egomaniac driving through this unwelcome change on a whim and against the wishes of the fan base.

Attachments

Last edited:

E.D.S.

Yeah and I can imagine Steve’s views. I do believe in this ownership group. They do seem like a genuine bunch of guys. As frustrating as it was not to hear from them when things went south last year as they struggled to hear the comments from fans but now isn’t the time to hide away. This needs to be fronted.
Questions for me to answer:
1) why the change?
2) what advantages does it give us?
3) what about the previous logo was holding us back?
4) why no fan consultation?
5) would they be up for reconsidering the recent decisions?

Just can’t imagine Ryan Reynolds walking into Wrexham and saying “we’ll change that logo”.
They were clear from day 1. They aren’t owners. They are chairman. Wrexham FC belongs to the community. They run the club for the fans and look at what has happened as a result. That’s their words. Thats their model.

Success is not an option now. Imagine a dull season, dull brand of hockey and a dull logo. That’s a big hole to climb out of. A lot of pressure on the team before a puck has dropped.

This is a cock up that isn’t too late to rescue.

Last edited:

Pleximan

Yeah and I can imagine Steve’s views. I do believe in this ownership group. They do seem like a genuine bunch of guys. As frustrating as it was not to hear from them when things went south last year as they struggled to hear the comments from fans but now isn’t the time to hide away. This needs to be fronted.
Questions for me to answer:
1) why the change?
2) what advantages does it give us?
3) what about the previous logo was holding us back?
4) why no fan consultation?
5) would they be up for reconsidering the recent decisions?

Just can’t imagine Ryan Reynolds walking into Wrexham and saying “we’ll change that logo”.
They were clear from day 1. They aren’t owners. They are chairman. Wrexham FC belongs to the community. They run the club for the fans and look at what has happened as a result. That’s their words. Thats their model.

Success is not an option now. Imagine a dull season, dull brand of hockey and a dull logo. That’s a big hole to climb out of. A lot of pressure on the team before a puck has dropped.

This is a cock up that isn’t too late to rescue.
I think they have probably lost me now, the club have scored a massive own goal with this re-brand de-brand, they need to seriously look at the reaction and realise that they have dropped a monumental clanger. With a new 15 year lease on the Arena comes the pressure of having to pay the monthly bills no matter what, so alienate your loyal fan base at your peril.

‘Meet the requirements of the digital world!’
FFS! We’re not the Dallas Cowboys or the Maple Leafs, we’re the Cardiff Devils of the EIHL!
In other words we are a sideshow of a sideshow of a sideshow!
Most of the people who are aware of the Devils digital presence are their own fan base!
Sheer lunacy!
This is all because Belfast did a logo re-brand a couple of seasons back when we were kicking their asses every few weeks, nothing more!
I bet PR is sitting in a darkened room sobbing into his hands.
A few weeks ago he had the fans united behind the cause, cheerleaders if you like but now he has angry fans and much raised pressure to deliver the league title to placate a fan base who think that their opinions are not wanted in TK’s decision making echo chamber!