3rd August

SteveKing

Marketing firms show data on what types of logos sell better and particularly for the next generation of fans. Included in that is what sells and looks better on merchandise. So precisely because we have no more seats to sell is why we have to look at other areas to compete. So having a logo without words is one of the keys to that - as has been seen across all different types of logos over the last decade, and having a secondary logo like the trident to have more options is big too. And don worry, I’m sure there will be plenty of retro gear with the previous logos for the traditionalists.

as for the question about Blasty in Calgary, it was hated at the time but over the years it became a cult hit to the point where they now have retro Blasty gear. Give it time, folks.

august04 2.0

At least we know where we are now. It doesn’t change anything for me. I don’t like the new logo, I don’t think I ever will as it’s that hideous and I don’t like the way it was done without any fan consultation. No-one would have batted an eyelid if it was done properly with the fans involved and a consensus reached on the best outcome. But one thing I do agree with Steve on, is that the joy is being taken out of following this club, not just with a logo change but what I’ve witnessed on the ice, attitudes from management, the general direction of travel this past few years and what I perceive as a general “it’s my way or the highway” stance (and that isn’t directed at the Calgary 4 by the way). I’m sure our owners wouldn’t like the Flames history ripped apart with such a tacky new logo and the rink decked out in Oilers blue, but it is what it is I suppose. I haven’t renewed my Devils season ticket this year, after so many years, but I have bought a Bluebirds season ticket. I'll still make it down to the arena for the odd game, but I’m actually relishing going down the City more this year, something I never thought I’d say since day 1 of the Devils. I wish the Devils well, hope the re-branding is successful and that they make fortunes from advertising and new merchandise sales. Time will tell I suppose.

Where do I start? I have been trying to not post because I wanted this group to have some time but I also needed time for myself to calm down Before I said things that I’d regret.

Yes, we 100% knew that there would be a faction of fans that would be violently opposed to any change. For any club or any business, that can’t be allowed to be the primary influence on decisions if you want to keep growing. We also knew that logo changes almost unanimously take time for people to get used to before they are loved. But nearly 24 hours in to the brand launch, it appears that it is the very vocal online crowd that has created the vast majority of the drama as merchandise sales are significantly ahead of other years.

The biggest point I need to make though - since this forum is about unfiltered opinions is that i have an overwhelming sense of sadness based on the comments made on here. Social media has a well-documented effect on people to eliminate positive thought and become a negatively echo chamber. That’s universal, not specific to the Inferno. The sadness for me is how it has taken so much joy out of following this club - for me, and for many different fans. We have even had Devils players contact us today asking what on earth is the mater with our fans. That is devastating to me and unfortunately something our fan base has become known for.

So I totally get that some of you may not like the logo. It took me a while to love it. But maybe it’s time to take a breath. I feel like we’ve been a very fan-centric club in our nine years and we’ve treated everyone from players to fans as family and with respect. We’re going to keep trying to grow this team ina thoughtful and professional way. Our goal is to win championships and to do that, we need to keep growing. I know you all want first line talent on our third line so we need to keep moving forward

If you need to move on from the Devils because of the logo change, that’s very unfortunate for both of us but I really hope that some sanity prevails here and we can all make the Devils what it is supposed to be - which is a place we can get together as a family and enjoy the positivity and joy that hockey brings.
Devils players asking what is wrong with our fans is devastating to read Steve! :( I’m more and more convinced some people thrive off negativity!! It’s not just devils fans, it’s across the board, across the league and across many sports on social media. It’s a very sad state of affairs.

Last edited:
I'm in a slightly odd position in that I rather like the logo, but of the things that needed fixing a rebrand probably wouldn't have been at the top of my list at the moment.

Then again, I appreciate that there are probably commercial factors that thankfully I don't need to know about.

RedDevil17

Where do I start? I have been trying to not post because I wanted this group to have some time but I also needed time for myself to calm down Before I said things that I’d regret.

Yes, we 100% knew that there would be a faction of fans that would be violently opposed to any change. For any club or any business, that can’t be allowed to be the primary influence on decisions if you want to keep growing. We also knew that logo changes almost unanimously take time for people to get used to before they are loved. But nearly 24 hours in to the brand launch, it appears that it is the very vocal online crowd that has created the vast majority of the drama as merchandise sales are significantly ahead of other years.

The biggest point I need to make though - since this forum is about unfiltered opinions is that i have an overwhelming sense of sadness based on the comments made on here. Social media has a well-documented effect on people to eliminate positive thought and become a negatively echo chamber. That’s universal, not specific to the Inferno. The sadness for me is how it has taken so much joy out of following this club - for me, and for many different fans. We have even had Devils players contact us today asking what on earth is the mater with our fans. That is devastating to me and unfortunately something our fan base has become known for.

So I totally get that some of you may not like the logo. It took me a while to love it. But maybe it’s time to take a breath. I feel like we’ve been a very fan-centric club in our nine years and we’ve treated everyone from players to fans as family and with respect. We’re going to keep trying to grow this team ina thoughtful and professional way. Our goal is to win championships and to do that, we need to keep growing. I know you all want first line talent on our third line so we need to keep moving forward

If you need to move on from the Devils because of the logo change, that’s very unfortunate for both of us but I really hope that some sanity prevails here and we can all make the Devils what it is supposed to be - which is a place we can get together as a family and enjoy the positivity and joy that hockey brings.
Fan-centric club? If that was the case you would’ve consulted the fans about the logo change. I’m more than happy to keep my money and not buy any merchandise this year, particularly the jerseys (which are horrible might I add).

lloyd_jeff

as for the question about Blasty in Calgary, it was hated at the time but over the years it became a cult hit to the point where they now have retro Blasty gear. Give it time, folks.
I agree that change isn’t popular and can take time, taste is subjective etc etc. What I’m listening to isn’t a small portion of fans unhappy with change, it’s the poor design that is the problem. Time won’t solve poor rebranding, it will show if it worked or not, just as many rebrands have been accepted, others have been utter disasters.

Can we have our own Blasty then, since that worked, maybe have a Devil riding a Dragon.

lloyd_jeff

Devils players asking what is wrong with our fans is devastating to read Steve! :( I’m more and more convinced some people thrive off negativity!! It’s not just devils fans too, it’s across the board, across the league and across many sports on social media. It’s a very sad state of affairs.
There’s also more use of poor owners blaming social media. Prior to that complaints could be hidden in the depths of their PR complaints departments. Now whilst not all business owners are poor, not all social media users are toxic, so the finger pointing whilst ignoring the issue isn’t the best way to for owners to prove their point.

Players have been asking what is the matter with our fans ? funny enough we all asked the same question last year with that performance, but didn’t get any answers. Regarding the question being asked about us fans you have the answer it was revealed last night. so let’s hope that us fans have something to cheer about at the end of the season otherwise we’ll be the one asking what is wrong with our players !

We have even had Devils players contact us today asking what on earth is the mater with our fans. That is devastating to me and unfortunately something our fan base has become known for.

So I totally get that some of you may not like the logo. It took me a while to love it. But maybe it’s time to take a breath. I feel like we’ve been a very fan-centric club in our nine years and we’ve treated everyone from players to fans as family and with respect.
Steve, may I ask why such a huge change at a "fan-centric" club was not put to the fans 12 months ago when this absolute disaster of a rebrand began?

Also, the comment about players asking what's the matter with our fans and this being what we're "known for" is incredibly troubling and to some degree, insulting. Is this the same fan base who flocked to Angers in their hundreds and over 260+ already signed up for Grenoble in November? Those who pack out the arena week in week out and travel the length of the UK to follow the club during a cost of living crisis? I think as a collective we've more than earned the right to express when we think something isn't quite what we'd expect.

Last edited:
3 problems.
1. Is changing the Cardiff devils identity without letting the fans know or having any say in it. We are the ones who pay for all the merch so surely the best way to grow is to ask paying customers there views to know what will sell? I’m sure sohb sales will be down and from what I can see in social media so will be merch sales.
2. There’s nothing on our jersey that says Cardiff devils. So someone who doesn’t know who we are sees the logo in public, how do they know it’s Cardiff devils if it is nowhere to be seen just a generic devil logo and our name in Welsh which no one understands around the world that’s not going to help us grow!
3. The logo is terrible way too generic, it looks more like a cheap clothing brand

SteveKing

Do people really believe that having 5000 people come up with a logo design is practical/possible?

as for comments on the players, nobody is questioning the passion of our fans and nobody questions the fact that we have the best followers in the league. But just like you are allowed to make comments about their performance, they are certainly allowed to make comments as well and certainly comments by a small minority have been fairly noticed. Never fair when critics feel like they are above being criticized. You guys asked me to comment so I have but I’m going to leave it there. More than any other off season, I really cant wait for the hockey to start. I’ve gone down player vs player on other squads and I feel very good about this team.

E.D.S.

Steve's in a lose lose situation here. He's fronted up and he's posted a response. It hasn't hit the mark for me but I do appreciate the gesture and effort of responding. Thank you Steve.

What I would urge the club to do is look at the polls and look at the strength of feeling - not just here but on every platform. To dismiss that and call us "traditionalists" just isn't the way to do it. Further more, to look at "merchandise sales are ahead of where they would be" just compounds the poor messaging and is wide of the mark. It's insulting. Money flying in tops fans posting an opinion that they aren't happy. That isn't "fan-centric". Fans are unhappy and upset about the poor communication and the way this was handled. You surely can't ignore that. I don't care if some idiots who post mindless stuff has given the inferno or the Devils fan base a bad name because they are the minority. They simply don't matter but there is movement here Steve, again not talking about the Inferno, every single platform has the majority of consensus being that the logo is wide of the mark. Requiring a nameless logo in order to grow just isn't something that lands with many of us. I feel you've dismissed the fans and underestimated the strength of feeling.

Rempel16

That’s fair, but on the flip side, would it have hurt to have done a fan consultation exercise in advance of such a change?

The fan council that was put together before Covid was supposed to provide such a space. Where has that gone?

As for players asking what is the matter with the fans- the overwhelming majority of reaction across all social media appears to be against the new logo. The players are hardly going to voice a negative opinion against the guys that pay their wages.

If merchandise sales are up as a result then great. Can’t fault that. It will be interesting to see whether that trend continues and whether the long-standing big spenders buy merchandise despite not liking the logo.

Still, I can’t help feeling that a consultation would have resulted in a logo change that would have suited all…

august04 2.0

Do people really believe that having 5000 people come up with a logo design is practical/possible? .
Yes, you announce it to the fan base in advance, you get Limegreen Tangerine (or maybe not!), to come up 3 or 4 options and put it to a fan vote. At least you’d please a larger portion of the fanbase then rather than forcing through that monstrosity without any fan opinion whatsoever.

august04 2.0

Steve, may I ask why such a huge change at a "fan-centric" club was not put to the fans 12 months ago when this absolute disaster of a rebrand began?

Also, the comment about players asking what's the matter with our fans and this being what we're "known for" is incredibly troubling and to some degree, insulting. Is this the same fan base who flocked to Angers in their hundreds and over 260+ already signed up for Grenoble in November? Those who pack out the arena week in week out and travel the length of the UK to follow the club during a cost of living crisis? I think as a collective we've more than earned the right to express when we think something isn't quite what we'd expect.
I would have thought that after the shambles of last season, the players should just concentrate on their own performance rather than criticising a loyal fan base.

I see what the club have tried to do with the logo, it's more a modern style which you see a lot of older clubs moving to. Do I love the logo? I'd probably say no, do I hate it, no? Why? Because its a logo...just that. It doesn't change the history of the club, nor does it change the future. If we win the league next season with this logo, it's not the first league title of the Cardiff Devils, it's still the same club with the same name.

As a rugby fan I've been through the same with cardiff rfc to cardiff blues, then to the blues, then back to Cardiff rugby. If I'm honest I couldn't give a rats ass what you call them, it doesn't erase history...what bothers me is that they deliver a consistently poor product. Which unfortunately we did last year. I'm hopeful for this season ahead and hopefully change of logo will not matter so much with a bit of perspective and lifting a trophy or two at the end.

What worries me more is we continue on trend as per last season and don't actively look to shake up players who are underperformed. I really hope Russell is given full impunity and backing to do this if he sees fit.

Rempel16

Do people really believe that having 5000 people come up with a logo design is practical/possible?

as for comments on the players, nobody is questioning the passion of our fans and nobody questions the fact that we have the best followers in the league. But just like you are allowed to make comments about their performance, they are certainly allowed to make comments as well and certainly comments by a small minority have been fairly noticed. Never fair when critics feel like they are above being criticized. You guys asked me to comment so I have but I’m going to leave it there. More than any other off season, I really cant wait for the hockey to start. I’ve gone down player vs player on other squads and I feel very good about this team.
Why would it need 5000 people coming up with a design?

Just release 3 concepts and take fan votes on which is preferred…

august04 2.0

Steve's in a lose lose situation here. He's fronted up and he's posted a response. It hasn't hit the mark for me but I do appreciate the gesture and effort of responding. Thank you Steve.

What I would urge the club to do is look at the polls and look at the strength of feeling - not just here but on every platform. To dismiss that and call us "traditionalists" just isn't the way to do it. Further more, to look at "merchandise sales are ahead of where they would be" just compounds the poor messaging and is wide of the mark. It's insulting. Money flying in tops fans posting an opinion that they aren't happy. That isn't "fan-centric". Fans are unhappy and upset about the poor communication and the way this was handled. You surely can't ignore that. I don't care if some idiots who post mindless stuff has given the inferno or the Devils fan base a bad name because they are the minority. They simply don't matter but there is movement here Steve, again not talking about the Inferno, every single platform has the majority of consensus being that the logo is wide of the mark. Requiring a nameless logo in order to grow just isn't something that lands with many of us. I feel you've dismissed the fans and underestimated the strength of feeling.
I can’t understand how merchandise sales are above of where they were when there aren’t many products available to order with the new logo yet, just advance jersey sales I would have thought and from reaction everywhere, I just can’t believe they are ahead of previous years.

Swarley

Yes.

Don't get me wrong I am grateful for all you and the other owners have done for the club, I just think had someone spoke up about a rebranding 12 months ago there could of been the possibility of some talented art work given to you guys that you then could of whittled down and then asked for a vote from fans.